Is this forum dying? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 26.03.2019, 12:22 PM
Team Captain

Default Is this forum dying?

Given the increasing popularity of the NFL in the UK in terms of TV coverage, Podcasts, etc I was shocked to see how little activity this place has been getting of late.

Is it intentionally being wound down by the NFL as they are preferring other mediums for fans to interact such as Twitter?

Looking at the NFLUK home page I cannot even find a link to this forum. (which might explain the lack of visitors)!

Last edited by slough_redskins; 26.03.2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 26.03.2019, 05:07 PM
All Pro

Well, 4 hours and 30 odd minutes of silence tells you everything you need to know I think but, in case you're not sure, yes it is.

A real shame tbh. Some great conversations on here over the years and it seems to be a place you can actually have a conversation. Sadly, that's not what the kids want is it? It's all 'likes' and 149 character shouting (not forgetting knob pictures of course) these days.

Whoever runs these things feels its not worth the investment, which has always been lacklustre IMO, at least since I've been here. It's been cast out in the rain to die a slow miserable death. A bit like Colin Kaepernick.
Old 26.03.2019, 05:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Tbh, imo, this subject has been done to death in recent years. I know sometimes the threads/posts aren't to hand, but threads like this fizzle out quite quickly.

It's clear for all to see what the answer to the question is.

I know the join dates on member profiles might not directly relate to the first time they posted (I know mine doesn't, its probably a couple of years out), and with all the sign in issues this site has had over the years you can't be too critical about how active people are........ but slough_redskins, you've made 268 posts in 11 years (potentially)......then ask, is the forum dying?
Old 26.03.2019, 09:08 PM
Rookie

Im here have this as a Fav... Would get involved when I'm on lates at work... Did join for info just about NFL London Tickets....
Old 27.03.2019, 10:55 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Tbh, imo, this subject has been done to death in recent years. I know sometimes the threads/posts aren't to hand, but threads like this fizzle out quite quickly.

It's clear for all to see what the answer to the question is.

I know the join dates on member profiles might not directly relate to the first time they posted (I know mine doesn't, its probably a couple of years out), and with all the sign in issues this site has had over the years you can't be too critical about how active people are........ but slough_redskins, you've made 268 posts in 11 years (potentially)......then ask, is the forum dying?
Apologies, the point of the thread wasn't to berate users for lack of posting volume, it was to ask if the forum is intentionally killed off by the NFL. The reason for this is that I have a new laptop and had lost the favourites link to the forum so went on the NFL UK web site to find it. I remember it used to be under the 'Fans' dropdown menu at the top of the page but could not locate and ending up getting back here by remembering what the web address was.

I would have thought that anything that gets people in the UK talking about the NFL would be a good thing but could see why they would want to concentrate on things like Twitter but would have thought that if this was the way they were going to go then they be better just to close this forum down. What they have done is effectively just hidden this site which seems a bit odd.

I wasn't aware of the sign-in issues.
Old 27.03.2019, 11:41 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough_redskins View Post
Apologies, the point of the thread wasn't to berate users for lack of posting volume, it was to ask if the forum is intentionally killed off by the NFL. The reason for this is that I have a new laptop and had lost the favourites link to the forum so went on the NFL UK web site to find it. I remember it used to be under the 'Fans' dropdown menu at the top of the page but could not locate and ending up getting back here by remembering what the web address was.

I would have thought that anything that gets people in the UK talking about the NFL would be a good thing but could see why they would want to concentrate on things like Twitter but would have thought that if this was the way they were going to go then they be better just to close this forum down. What they have done is effectively just hidden this site which seems a bit odd.

Just checked on nfl.com/uk, which replaced nfluk.com. There is no link anywhere on there to navigate to this forum, the tab to register new members has 'mysteriously' disappeared. It is plain as day that the powers that be have zero interest in this forum now, but I guess that publicly closing it down wouldn't look very good in terms of their plans to grow the game in the UK. So they just leave it to limp along before it eventually curls up in a corner to find a quiet place to die.

Then again, when the server went down the other day that was a perfect opportunity for them to pull the plug for good, they missed a trick there.
Old 27.03.2019, 02:38 PM
All Pro

Its an odd one no doubt. Why not just turn the switch off? How many people would even notice? 20 - 30 hard core regulars, maybe a few watchers that don't post but where would any of them moan about it given the site has gone??

I've no idea what 'll do when the site eventually does fade away, do more work I suppose. Like I said though, and here the OP is bang on, it's an odd way to treat loyal NFL fans. Strangely though I wonder how many left on here are NFL Fans? I'm not. I love football and the Raiders but have always been luke warm on the NFL and it's corporate americana BS.

BTW Slough man, I don't think Richard was having any more than a light hearted dig. I thought of doing the same myself tbh - 270 odd posts in 11 years or something? Come on, the comedy value alone was worth it? Don't take it personal like.

Last edited by LesterHayes; 27.03.2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 28.03.2019, 10:21 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough_redskins View Post

Yeah, 'berating' wasn't on my agenda either. Apologies if it was seen that way.

Lester and Iffies summed it up really. In some ways I'm thankful that they haven't just pulled the plug, at least it gives the remainder of this community somewhere to chat. Even though the numbers have fallen dramatically, I still enjoy the interaction with everyone, especially during the off season.
Old 29.03.2019, 05:28 AM
Pro

Firstly should say have been a member much longer and posted more than my account implies. In one of the stupid sign-on changes they made my account locked and the password reset wouldn’t work so had to register a new account and start again.

I think this would have put off a lot of people who would have just thought I can’t be bothered.

For me the only key reason to return to the forum is to discuss with others the annual debacle of the International Series ticket sales. Both buying them and also receiving tickets. For me at least something seems to go wrong most years.

I did used to discuss the Sky live games here but again you get very little debate here on those these days so just lost interest. As others have said that debate has moved elsewhere to places like Facebook which I don’t use.

So if the forum dies all I would miss is the ticketing help and discussion others here provide. We have seen though NFLUK aren’t really interested in featuring help in this area directly on the website.
Old 30.03.2019, 02:10 PM
All Pro

I'm not sure if it's intentional. I think it's a combination of forums in general being a dying media, you look around and they are far less successful that previous. And a general lack of thought in the NFL's UK media strategy. Just like look at the amount of dumbed down content being pumped out. For example the whole London's Jay Ajayi thing, or a recent article on off season signings which was low grade rubbish about the back biggest deals.

Ironically the NFL in the US seem to understand the UK market better. Look at the focus on the UK in their podcasts for example.

One thing I've said before, and stand by is they should put the forum on Reddit, it's a recognised, stable platform with far far bigger reach than this website. You would get far visitor traffic and postings as you don't need to sign up specifically for the forum