Top 100 - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 10.04.2019, 02:16 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Interesting list, and again hats off for putting in the hours.

You've got Mack Wilson quite a way down your list (compared to some). I haven't watched his film, but he was quite highly thought of heading into the season iirc, what's the knock on him?

Interested to see you full in the remaining blanks on your top 100 too. It wouldn't surprise me if the other guy I considered at 191 in the mock was one of them.
Thanks Richard!

I liked him coming into the season but for me he did not at all kick on, I believe, in the way I was hoping, by being football smarter. I think he's a sure tackler, a tone-setter, good on the blitz and he can cover so I don't hate him, but I'm concerned with context in that I'd like to see more anticipation to make plays at or behind the line of scrimmage especially when playing behind Quinnen Williams. I think he can get lost in bigger blockers and I think he can get victimised with the angles he takes and gets badly beaten in space.
Old 10.04.2019, 03:39 PM
Team Captain

Great stuff, Oggy!

I really like your process of using scoring grades and the coloured "chips" system. Very interesting to look at how certain names, whether you like them or not, are placed once you have evaluated them in this way.

Hours of tape-watching fun! Still finalising my own, just a few more videos to compare and rank some guys to fill the last spots. I'll be sure to post it once I've gone over each little detail that I need to!

Looking forward to seeing who the missing players are that haven't been taken in the mock yet
Old 10.04.2019, 04:58 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam66 View Post
Great stuff, Oggy!

I really like your process of using scoring grades and the coloured "chips" system. Very interesting to look at how certain names, whether you like them or not, are placed once you have evaluated them in this way.

Hours of tape-watching fun! Still finalising my own, just a few more videos to compare and rank some guys to fill the last spots. I'll be sure to post it once I've gone over each little detail that I need to!

Looking forward to seeing who the missing players are that haven't been taken in the mock yet
Thanks Liam, looking forward to seeing yours!
Old 10.04.2019, 09:22 PM
Team Captain

Great stuff, really interesting!

As a fellow Jawaan Taylor sceptic I'm interested as to what led you to that rating?
Old 11.04.2019, 08:24 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhdjh View Post
Great stuff, really interesting!

As a fellow Jawaan Taylor sceptic I'm interested as to what led you to that rating?
A few years back, one of my more accurate evaluations was of Greg Robinson who I felt was way too much of a projection as a pass protector to be considered in the top 10. Feel similarly about Taylor. Don't get me wrong he is gifted athletically and he is a mauler in the run game. However, I don't like his hand placement, I think his punch is weak, he let's defenders get into his body far too easily and when he faces elite speed off the edge, he drops his head, waist bends and chases the rusher, trying to use his athleticism to make up the ground he's lost. At the moment for me he's a right tackle only who you need to protect with a tight end in pass protection but who you can comfortably run behind. In the future, maybe a left tackle if he develops as you'd like but too much of a projection for me. For a top ten offensive tackle you have to be better in pass protection.
Old 11.04.2019, 11:21 AM
All Pro

I can't understand the love for Daniel Jones. He screams JAG.
Old 11.04.2019, 01:32 PM
All Pro

What led to you slotting Corey Ballentine in your Top 100? Small school guy, completely off my radar until I started digging around for late round Corners but I liked what I saw in very limited viewing. Most people have him 4-6 but, I agree I think, looks better than that. Be interested to read your write up.
Old 11.04.2019, 02:25 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam66 View Post
Great stuff, Oggy!

Yes, it is a good system. In-season, I just put a simple grading system - Elite; 1st Round; Definite Top 100; Probable Top 100; Borderline Top 100; Day Three; Undrafted. Then I factor in what I can gather from the Senior Bowl - and easier the Combine. Pro Days are hard work as getting numbers is hard work the last two years.

This year I'm down to a shortlist of just over 125 prospects - but still looking out for any "late risers" (in the media) like Tarvarius Moore last year who got very little buzz and went with pick 95.

Stacking by position first helps me - I tend to rebuild the board from scratch 2 or 3 times in the process. Hardest part is deciding those last slots if, say, a CB or TE has the better chance of going!

Medicals are tough as well - no idea how teams will see a Jamel Dean/Drue Tranquill (multiple knee surgeries between the two) or Jalen Hurd (concussion history) and then the "character red flags" - heard some rumblings Emanuel Hall is "soft" and won't play through minor injuries, for example.

Best thing to do after each Draft is to look at the ones you miss - either left out or put in and they went day three/undrafted. I've been doing the Huddle Report's top 100 contest for 9 years now, and you get to the point where you watch tape and just see a top 100 prospect - or at least some of the time
Old 11.04.2019, 04:32 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
I can't understand the love for Daniel Jones. He screams JAG.
Didn't think I'd given him much love compared to others with a true third round grade. For me, there is a lot of development, I can see why teams are falling in love with him especially given the intangibles and the football intelligence. NFL teams have been dying to get their hands on a Cutcliffe QB with at least some tools so he is always going to get over-drafted a bit. I feel like the third round is the last possible round you take a QB with any kind of starter potential and I feel like there is some there, even if just with the "neck-up" stuff alone but I agree with you that the tape is worrisome and its a big projection - my biggest concern was his pocket presence.
Old 11.04.2019, 04:41 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
What led to you slotting Corey Ballentine in your Top 100? Small school guy, completely off my radar until I started digging around for late round Corners but I liked what I saw in very limited viewing. Most people have him 4-6 but, I agree I think, looks better than that. Be interested to read your write up.
So first of all, I'm a small school sucker and I probably over-rate some of these guys - it really would be useful to be able to interview them! With Ballentine, I think he has good technique, he is smooth and looks to explode on the ball when he has to break on underneath stuff. I think he flat out competes, flying to the ball in the run game and when contesting the catch downfield. He anticipates, mirrors well and looks to be a ball-hawk but not gonna give him too much credit for that stuff at a lower level of comp. He basically dominates that level which you would expect him to do as a day 2 type pick and I like that he does it with sound technique rather than an athletic dominance. The other thing I love about him is his special teams - he's outstanding as a gunner and a returner and I give him a ton of credit for doing it at Washburn when he could have been the big guy on campus/number one corner/going to the pros guy but he played his heart out on teams as well as on defense. I'm betting on that.