Texans Thread - Page 5 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Houston Texans

Old 06.03.2005, 02:22 PM
All Pro

Default Re:Texans Thread

The moment I put stuff into this thread, it was knocked down again >

Norris Returns - The Texans have reached terms with fullback Moran Norris on a three-year contract. The deal will be worth $1.9 million according to the Houston Chronicle, and it includes a $600,000 signing bonus.

Bell Re-Signed - Reserve cornerback and superb special teams player Jason Bell has agreed to a one-year contract with the Texans that will pay him $540,000 this season plus a $25,000 signing bonus. The bonus is the maximum allowed to qualify for the veteran's exception on the salary cap, meaning Bell will only account for $455,000 on this year's cap.

Yo, Houston!
It's Me, Rocky

For Baytown native and current Seahawks defensive tackle Rocky Bernard, visiting the Texans on Friday might have felt a bit like coming back home.

News of Bernard's visit to Houston on Friday was published by the Seattle Times. The former Texas A&M star is a restricted free agent, meaning if the Texans were to sign Bernard to an offer sheet, the Seahwawks would have one week to match it. Should they fail to do so, the Texans would forfeit a fifth round pick as compensation.

Bernard, who will turn 26 next month, projects to an end in the Texans defense if he is signed. At 6'3" and 293 pounds, he is a reserve in a 4-3 system with the Seahawks, one that considers him undersized. Bernard has been effective at times though, notching 3.5 sacks last season on a playoff team. His collegiate experience in a 3-4 defensive front might be adding some extra appeal to the Texans.

To obtain Bernard's services, the Texans might face other outside competition. The Jets, who lost defensive tackle Jason Ferguson the same day Seth Payne spurned them to return to the Texans, are another team with reported interest in Bernard.

In other free agent news, the Texans have interest in center Matt Lehr of the Rams according to a report published by the Rocky Mountain News on Friday. Lehr is expected to visit the Broncos on Monday and Tuesday, then possibly travel to Atlanta to talk with the Falcons later in the week. There has been no confirmation yet as to whether Houston figures into Lehr's itenerary.
Old 06.03.2005, 03:28 PM
All Pro

[quote author=duggay link=board=1;threadid=8452;start=30#msg177463 date=1109008315]
Okay dokey...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1995875

The Titans could lose a huge amount of decent players, inlcluding WR Derrick Mason, CB Samari Rolles etc and there is the chance that they could become Texans... what does everyone else think?

Mason would be good for the Texans, it means we have a 2nd good receiver besides Johnson...

[/quote]as you should already know, D-Mase is a raven! Samari Rolle could be a big signing but O-Line should be the main focus. Carr is a good QB to watch and is the future of your franchise, so with a good O-Line and Andre Johnson as your big threat, the Texans could look like a good side
Old 06.03.2005, 03:43 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Yorkshire Raven link=board=1;threadid=8452;start=30#msg183937 date=1110122884]
[quote author=duggay link=board=1;threadid=8452;start=30#msg177463 date=1109008315]
Okay dokey...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1995875

The Titans could lose a huge amount of decent players, inlcluding WR Derrick Mason, CB Samari Rolles etc and there is the chance that they could become Texans... what does everyone else think?

Mason would be good for the Texans, it means we have a 2nd good receiver besides Johnson...

[/quote]as you should already know, D-Mase is a raven! Samari Rolle could be a big signing but O-Line should be the main focus. Carr is a good QB to watch and is the future of your franchise, so with a good O-Line and Andre Johnson as your big threat, the Texans could look like a good side
[/quote]

you pretty much summed up the texans in one go, well done! ;D

all we need now is some fans...
Old 06.03.2005, 04:08 PM
All Pro

thank you, thank you! I do rate Carr, he'll only get better
Old 06.03.2005, 08:09 PM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to nfljunky

[quote author=duggay link=board=1;threadid=8452;start=30#msg183575 date=1110025900]
[quote author=TheKipps link=board=1;threadid=8452;start=30#msg183524 date=1110010981]
You guys seriously overpaid for Greenwood. He is a solid player but makes no big plays and you give him a a five-year, $22.5 million contract which included a $7 million signing bonus.

He prospered for us last season after moving from the strongside to the weakside and was credited with double-digit tackles in the final six games, although he is projected as an inside linebacker in Houston's 3-4 defense.

Who knows maybe he will develop better playing inside.
[/quote]

I think it could work, but thats my opinion

New just in...

Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman have been given the option to trade for a new team if they don't agree to a modified contract, although there is ample Cap Room to keep them.
Also, Mike London, DC of the University of Virginia is the new Texan DC, he is one of the very few college DCs that plays the 3-4.

Matt Lehr, C for the Rams is drawing interest from the Texans as well as a few other teams, and Corey Bradford will be meeting with Detroit, so now they too can have a few decent players

[/quote]
I know I do bang on about this but I've said for some time (on this very board infact) that Sharper is seriously overrated by Texan fans and the media (BTW Pls do not read into this I said he was not a good player). This is the management effectively going out and saying "even though we have the cap room you are not worth the money we pay you". Greenwood and Wong at ILB would be a significant upgrade as this is certainly Wong's best position; both of these guys can run and cover (and tackle!!). I think an OLB is definitly on the cards now although (again as I've said before) I'd prefer a TE
Old 08.03.2005, 04:26 PM
All Pro

Sharper in Stripes?

As word spreads around the league that linebacker Jamie Sharper is available via trade, one newspaper believes he might be working on fashioning some stripes into his fall wardrobe.

The Cincinnati Enquirer received word from an unspecified source that Sharper is talking to the Bengals about a possible trade. If the Texans were to consummate a deal with the Bengals, it would reunite Sharper with Cincinnati head coach Marvin Lewis, Sharper's defensive coordinator when he played with the Ravens.

Sharper, 30, is capable of playing a variety of positions in both a 3-4 and a 4-3 defensive scheme. It maximizes the number of teams he could potentially play for outside of Houston if he is traded. Other speculated destinations for Sharper include Seattle, Kansas City, Cleveland, and Baltimore.

In other free agent news, the Texans have interest in center Matt Lehr of the Rams according to a report published by the Rocky Mountain News. Lehr visited with the Broncos on Monday and left town for Atlanta without a contract. After meeting with the Falcons on Tuesday, Lehr may decide to visit Houston next, though there has been no confirmation yet as to whether Houston figures into Lehr's itenerary.
Old 10.03.2005, 06:27 AM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to nfljunky

[quote author=duggay link=board=1;threadid=8452;start=45#msg184904 date=1110299215]
Sharper in Stripes?

As word spreads around the league that linebacker Jamie Sharper is available via trade, one newspaper believes he might be working on fashioning some stripes into his fall wardrobe.

The Cincinnati Enquirer received word from an unspecified source that Sharper is talking to the Bengals about a possible trade. If the Texans were to consummate a deal with the Bengals, it would reunite Sharper with Cincinnati head coach Marvin Lewis, Sharper's defensive coordinator when he played with the Ravens.

Sharper, 30, is capable of playing a variety of positions in both a 3-4 and a 4-3 defensive scheme. It maximizes the number of teams he could potentially play for outside of Houston if he is traded. Other speculated destinations for Sharper include Seattle, Kansas City, Cleveland, and Baltimore.

In other free agent news, the Texans have interest in center Matt Lehr of the Rams according to a report published by the Rocky Mountain News. Lehr visited with the Broncos on Monday and left town for Atlanta without a contract. After meeting with the Falcons on Tuesday, Lehr may decide to visit Houston next, though there has been no confirmation yet as to whether Houston figures into Lehr's itenerary.

[/quote]
Duggay,
Do you care about losing Sharper? Would you rather see the Texans keep him? I've got my views as an "outsider" but I'm interested in what the real fans think.
Old 10.03.2005, 05:40 PM
All Pro

Sorry man, im just the message boy

I think Jamie should have gone, he is 31, and we'll just have to see if Capers made the right descision in the coming season.
Old 10.03.2005, 09:06 PM
All Pro

Sharper: Cut Me
Foreman: Me too

Linebackers Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman have asked the Texans to keep them from hanging in limbo for too long according to a televised report by KRIV-TV in Houston. Both had been told by the Texans to seek a trade late last week.

"If in the next couple days I can't (be traded), I would like for the Texans to release me," Sharper said via phone to the television station.

The station added that Sharper said he would have been willing to restructure his contract if it meant staying with the Texans.

"I was figuring I was going to be staying with the Texans for the rest of my career up until this past Friday."

Sharper told the station that general manager Charley Casserly told him to seek a draft pick in return for his trade, even if it takes up until the college draft in late April.

(Well, he's going now, and the draft pick will be more than better compensation, especially if its for a quality TE or OL player)

Jay Foreman
While Sharper has reportedly received interest in a trade from at least one team, the Bengals, his fellow teammate will likely have a more difficult time finding a willing suitor. Foreman ended the 2004 season on the injured reserve list, and he is still almost two months away from a recovery following ankle surgery.

"I don't think (Sharper and I) were the problem on defense," the station quoted Foreman as saying. "I thought we were the centerpiece."

In free agency news, wide receiver Corey Bradford returned to Houston on Wednesday afternoon following his visit to Detroit. He left his meetings with the Lions without a signing a contract, though as televised on KRIV-TV, the team did give him a personalized Lions jersey and prepared a gameday locker for him to demonstrate their interest. Bradford will next travel to New York to visit the Giants on Thursday.

The Texans may have interested in linebacker Quinton Caver according to the Houston Chronicle. A second round pick of the Eagles in 2001, Caver (6'4" 241) started four games for the Chiefs late last season as an injury fill-in. He finished the year on injured reserve due to a right shoulder sprain.

(Whether or not the descision to change the LBs is a good idea is all down to Capers, so we just have to wait until then.)

Snatching Sanders
The Texans announced on Wednesday the signing of unrestriced free agent Lewis Sanders. Terms of the agreement were not immediately available, but the Cleveland Plain Dealer had reported that the Browns reached a two-year agreement with Sanders on Tuesday. Sanders, who will be 27 before training camp opens, is 6'1" and 210 pounds and was a fourth round pick by the Browns in the 2000 draft. A reserve cornerback, Sanders started five games and played in all 16 last season. His signing likely means that free agent Kenny Wright, another tall corner, has played his last game as a Texan. (March 9, 2005)

(Strange... what was wrong with Dunta Robinson and Aaron Glenn? Ah well)

They Come in Three's

The Texans annouced the signings of fullback Jarrod Baxter, defensive end Corey Sears, and free safety Jason Simmons. Baxter, a restricted free agent, had been been tendered a one-year offer by the team for $656,000. Sears and Simmons each likely signed for the veteran minimum.

(Just filling places in the roster then)

Cat Scratch Fever

Free Safety Marlon McCree is meeting with officials from the Panthers Wednesday night and Thursday according to a report published by the Charlotte Observer. Citing a league source, the paper also says that no contract numbers have been discussed yet.

(I'm asking the Panthers on their thread about this one.)
Old 12.03.2005, 01:09 PM
All Pro

Stripes: Jamie's New Jammies?

Linebacker Jamie Sharper asked the Texans to release him, but is he trying to help out an old friend in the process?

Per his agent, Tony Agnone, one of the teams at the top of Sharper's wishlist for a possible trade is the Bengals, according to a report on the team's official website. And it's no coincidence that his former defensive coordinator with the Ravens, Marvin Lewis, is the team's head coach.

“He loves Marvin," Agnone told the Bengals' website. "He’s his guy, his mentor, whatever you want to call him. Jamie would love to be able to sit down and talk with Marvin, but he can’t and we can’t. We’ve been given permission to seek a trade, but not permission to talk.”

Sharper would be able to have his long-awaited chat with Lewis if and when the Texans release him from the final year of his contract. General manager Charley Casserly apparently has no immediate plans to do so, telling Sharper to seek a draft pick in return for his trade, even if it takes up until the college draft in late April.

If Sharper joined his former coach following his release, it would save his new employer from having to deal any sort of compensation in return to the Texans. The Bengals though might not be the only team with interest in obtaining Sharper. According to ESPN.com, the Seahawks might also consider trading for him.

(Nuts...)

In free agency news, the Charlotte Observer reported on Thursday that free safety Marlon McCree signed with the Panther. His one-year contract will pay him a $100,000 signing bonus and a $540,000 base salary.

Jerry Deloach
The Texans announced on Thursday that they have reached an agreement to re-sign reserve defensive lineman Jerry Deloach. According to ESPN.com, it will be a four-year deal worth $4 million, including a $750,000 signing bonus.

Also, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel speculated on Thursday that the Texans might have interest in tight end Bubba Franks. The five-year veteran had been deemed a transition player by the Packers, due a one-year salary of $2.095 million if no long-term contract is signed.

In using the transition tag on Franks, the Packers retain the right of first refusal if he signs an offer sheet from another team. The team would have up to seven days to match the offer or allow him to move elsewhere.

Franks, 27, has not missed a game due to injury during his NFL career. A three-time Pro Bowler, Franks caught 34 passes in 2004, including seven of them for touchdowns.

(There you go nfljunky! Hopefully one tight end coming right up!