The Big Blue Giants Thread - Page 447 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Giants

Old 24.09.2017, 10:55 PM
GOAT

football bloody hell.

it seems like the final nail in the coffin, i think 3 teams that went 0-3 have made it to the playoffs (since it moved to 12.)

maybe we can get to 10 wins and hope its enough.

on the positive side the O got its act together even if it took too long to put the points on the board. but we still suffered from terrible play calls.

the D got knacked, mostly they did well but they had some bad moments and 2 bad TD drives.

Wings punt was a killer.

John Jerry needs a big slap with a large wet fish for that silly flag, so needless and so costly.
Old 24.09.2017, 11:56 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
football bloody hell.

it seems like the final nail in the coffin, i think 3 teams that went 0-3 have made it to the playoffs (since it moved to 12.)

maybe we can get to 10 wins and hope its enough.

on the positive side the O got its act together even if it took too long to put the points on the board. but we still suffered from terrible play calls.

the D got knacked, mostly they did well but they had some bad moments and 2 bad TD drives.

Wings punt was a killer.

John Jerry needs a big slap with a large wet fish for that silly flag, so needless and so costly.
Looking at our schedule, I think we'll do well to get half of that. What's disappointing is that our defence isn't playing close to the level it was last season. In the opening three games they've given up over 100 yards rushing, including 193 yards tonight. Apple has struggled so far, the two PI calls tonight were costly and he was in a position to break up the pass to Jeffrey which set up their winning field goal.

The OL actually played a little better tonight but they were helped a lot by the uptempo offence. They are still a liability, but that's nothing new. We've been talking about the OL as an area of weakness in this team for the last 6-7 seasons. They still can't get any push in the middle, highlighted by the pathetic 4th and inches play at the end of the first half. Jerry has been atrocious in these opening 3 games, the penalty tonight was so so poor. Fluker should be given a chance against the Buccs, I can't see how he can be any worse.

I agree that playcalling is also an issue, having Eli in shotgun on 3rd and inches for example - wtf???

It's gonna be a long long season. It's just a shame that Eli's last years are being wasted.
Old 25.09.2017, 12:20 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Monty View Post
Looking at our schedule, I think we'll do well to get half of that. What's disappointing is that our defence isn't playing close to the level it was last season. In the opening three games they've given up over 100 yards rushing, including 193 yards tonight. Apple has struggled so far, the two PI calls tonight were costly and he was in a position to break up the pass to Jeffrey which set up their winning field goal.

The OL actually played a little better tonight but they were helped a lot by the uptempo offence. They are still a liability, but that's nothing new. We've been talking about the OL as an area of weakness in this team for the last 6-7 seasons. They still can't get any push in the middle, highlighted by the pathetic 4th and inches play at the end of the first half. Jerry has been atrocious in these opening 3 games, the penalty tonight was so so poor. Fluker should be given a chance against the Buccs, I can't see how he can be any worse.

I agree that playcalling is also an issue, having Eli in shotgun on 3rd and inches for example - wtf???

It's gonna be a long long season. It's just a shame that Eli's last years are being wasted.
yeah the D has been lacking, although up until the 4th quarter today i was overall happy with them.

it seems ignoring LBs can catch up with you.

the runs were terrible play calls too, a toss on 3rd and 1 and the goal line too, if a team thinks theres even a chance we might run it is going to end badly.

he must know we cant run.
Old 25.09.2017, 10:56 PM
davidjones178@hotmail.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWP84 View Post
True. I forgot to add that on the odd occasion he gets some protection, the WRs are all nicely covered. Then surprise surprise he gets crushed.

Its nice to see the GM and coach have seen that window closing and have given Eli all the help he could possibly ask for...
You are in a hole if your O Line can't run block or pass protect. If Eli is protected it's probably because the D is defending the pass, and then of course he has nobody to pass to! Which would be okay if he had all day, but he never does.

So now everything has to be lightning quick, which will mean more picks because Eli is throwing it without having time to assess the D. Better than constant 3 and outs I guess.

The failing O Line is just catastrophic for us, given that we have an ageing QB who has spent his career in the pocket. But that's how it goes I guess. We have to pay Eli so much money we can't afford to buy quality everywhere we need it.
Old 26.09.2017, 04:31 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjones178@hotmail.co.uk View Post
You are in a hole if your O Line can't run block or pass protect. If Eli is protected it's probably because the D is defending the pass, and then of course he has nobody to pass to! Which would be okay if he had all day, but he never does.

So now everything has to be lightning quick, which will mean more picks because Eli is throwing it without having time to assess the D. Better than constant 3 and outs I guess.

The failing O Line is just catastrophic for us, given that we have an ageing QB who has spent his career in the pocket. But that's how it goes I guess. We have to pay Eli so much money we can't afford to buy quality everywhere we need it.
maybe its kinda true but we had the space to sign RT Schwartz last year even with all the big gets on D.

given OL pricing in FA it is probably better to build a line via the draft.

Pugh and Richburg have worked out.

we spent the 9th pick on a LT who was seen as a raw talent and a huge reach at the time.

but then no key picks have been used on the OL since.
Old 01.10.2017, 11:17 PM
GOAT

some disgraceful plays in that game and the tackling was a farce at times.

we managed to turn the hole side into a mess.

the best we can hope for this season is an early pick, cos this side isnt about to go on a winning run.
Old 02.10.2017, 11:05 AM
Pro

The tackling was a mess, special teams was a mess, the run defence is a mess. Brandon Marshall seemingly can't catch a simple pass( or look interested to be honest), OBJ has a nasty habit of dropping simple ones(not just this season).

Without a doubt there is talent in this team, but we're not a good team. Its a mess from top to bottom. Question is, do Mara and Tisch blow it up at the end of season, or is the OL coach or D line coach etc etc sacked and made a scapegoat.
Old 09.10.2017, 09:13 AM
davidjones178@hotmail.co.uk

Are we at rock bottom yet?

In a 3 way battle for the top pick now, and I think we have a very good chance.

Eli needs to go - at the end of the season or next summer. If only because we are paying him what? $13m a year? Well, you don't need a V6 engine in a golf cart.

Any thoughts on Davis Webb?
Old 09.10.2017, 10:36 AM
Pro

Quote:

Eli needs to go - at the end of the season or next summer. If only because we are paying him what? $13m a year? Well, you don't need a V6 engine in a golf cart.

Can't really tell either way on Webb( the bits of pre-season i saw he looked ok, long way to go though), personally I thought it was a luxury pick for us at the time. Seeing as we lack depth and quality at certain positions. I'd prefer the first 3 picks to be people who will make a contribution rather than hold a clipboard.
I'm not knocking Webb, hopefully he turns out to be an able successor, but to me it smells of Jerry Reese thinking I best get a QB, rather than a team going all in on the last years of having a franchise QB. I'm not sure I trust Mr Reese to draft the QB of the future. Who knows he might hit on the first one, but overall his drafts haven't been great have they?
Old 09.10.2017, 02:47 PM
Starter

Quote:

It's ridiculous to scapegoat Eli. He's been good these last couple of weeks.
The O-line is still a real issue and our whole D had dropped its standards badly following last season.

Gameplanning and playcalling have been a real issue. Why are we throwing the ball with a lead with less than 5 minutes left, when we had been punishing LAC on the ground all game with Gallman, who we took out of the game for the drive.
Run, run, RUN!!! that is what was needed. OBJ doesn't take that hit and Eli doesn't fumble. There is a good chance we win.

With the WR issues we face after last night, the rest of this season is going to be a hard watch. Hopefully we can get the run game started and see who is worth keeping and cutting among our RBs and OL.