Colts popularity in the UK - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Indianapolis Colts

Old 10.01.2010, 11:14 PM
Team Captain

Default Colts popularity in the UK

Over the last 10 years the Colts have been perennial playoff candidates, Superbowl Winner in the '06 season and are lead by one of the greatest QB'S to have ever played the game. I know there's no way to be scientific about this but I feel that despite this success the Colts are one of the least supported teams in the UK relative to their success. Anyone have similar thoughts on this?

Location-To put it kindly Indiana is not really a major holiday destination for many Brits (a catalyst for many to start supporting teams right) nor is Indianapolis a city well known to many over here like NY, Chicago, etc. Part of the reason?

We know that many fans started following the sport in the 80's which is why there is a plethora of Bears, Redskins, Dolphins, 49ers etc etc fans, now being followed by a lot of Patriots fans but it also seems the Colts don't appeal to many new wave fans?

Don't get me wrong I love supporting a team who are both successful but to a certain extent under the radar in the UK but am just interested in why this is so.

Last edited by Hollywood_87; 10.01.2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11.01.2010, 04:54 PM
Team Captain

I would tend to agree with you and I'm not entirely sure why it's the case either. For me I was already very much aware of Indianapolis when I first became interested in the NFL due to the Indy 500 and that is what drew me to the Colts. So a trip to 'Naptown' was already appealing to me even though it wouldn't be near the top of most people's holiday location lists!

They're clearly not a big market team and in many ways Peyton Manning elevates the exposure they do receive and often he is the story more than the entire team. I'm not sure whether they are overlooked sometimes because people are used to the regular season wins by now but expect them to make a swift exit in the playoffs every year. At the beginning the past 5 or so seasons we've consistently been told the Colts 'window is closing'.

But then when they finally did get over the hump in the Super Bowl year it almost became a grudging praise and acknowledgement of their success - I remember the pundit reaction on Sky was pretty much "oh well at least we can be pleased for Tony Dungy because he's a nice guy", although Kevin Cadle seems to have a bit of a soft spot for the Colts to be fair. As an aside - Mike Carlson became particularly snide about the Colts this year to an embarrassingly biased level, he went down in my estimation this season.

Finally, although I don't spend that much time on here compared to Colts messageboards and US sites I've always got the impression that Colts fans on here are viewed as lightweights and fairweather sorts when it comes to knowledge of the game and so on. Maybe it's partly due to the number of obnoxious Pats fans around who don't need any encouragement to sneer at us or maybe I'm way off and just imagining it

Last edited by Coltsfan93; 12.01.2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 13.01.2010, 02:39 PM
All Pro

I've been representing the Colts franchise on here for years now (not as much as usual lately though) and I know that we're alittle low on support but I believe alot of people are still unsure of who to root for on here (which is fine as we all don't have a reason to support a team)

The reason I got into the team was because I watched Manning when in college and kinda had a thing for the Colts because they were underdogs and weren't as consistantly good as they are now.

Colts football is an excellent way to support the NFL and I'm truely happy that I've been supporting such a well run organisation and winning the Sbowl a few years ago was awesome after always getting close (and losing out to the Pats). I'm very interested in how we go this year after resting again (yes I agree with alot of you that we needed to keep the train going) and hope that we get to the big dance again and open the door for new support. Maybe the Colts aren't cool to support...I don't know but us fans stick together.

GO COLTS!
Old 15.01.2010, 03:20 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up I agree.

I think it's due mainly to the fact that the NFL isn't well represented here in the first place. Not many people support an American Football team, and those that do tend to go for the better known teams. At my college, I'm the only supporter of the Colts, I have two friends who are Pats fans (saw them in the superbowl), a Cowboys fan, Packers fan, (due to Favre) a Bengals fan (who knows?) and a Giants fan (due to Friends I think.)

The Colts don't get much coverage outside of the US, but I think when we win the Superbowl this year (hopefully anyway) that'll change.

I kinda like being the only Colts fan anyway, it gives me something to argue about with my friends.
Old 15.01.2010, 07:13 PM
Starter

Wink

Location is definitely one big reason.

A lot of people jump from one US sport to another and generally follow the same city's teams. That makes NYC, Chicago, Philly, etc, a more obvious choice than the Colts, unless you start with NBA.

Fans that started watching the NFL in the 80s generally didn't like the Colts because of their 'midnight flight' from Baltimore to Indy (which was terribly handled).

Those who watched in the 90s generally saw us as a small-town team who regularly turned in very poor seasons, and did it in an unfashionable way.

There are certainly more Colts fans than there used to be, I assure you!

Plus, you've got to realise that not all people are as enlightened as us . . .
Old 15.01.2010, 07:52 PM
All Pro

hopefully they will come to the UK this year , but knowing my luck they wont
Old 16.01.2010, 02:04 PM
Rookie

I was born and raised in Indianapolis. Even here in the US, Indianapolis and the State of Indiana are often overlooked and ignored. In fact, sometimes one can hear Indianapolis referred to as "India-no-place." It's just thought of as a small-sized city in the middle of corn fields. It doesn't have the "sex appeal" or "glamor" that other US cities have, especially those on the East and West Coasts. We do have the Colts, the Indiana Pacers, and the Indy 500, but that's about it. However, it is a decent town to live in, especially because of the Colts, who brought pro football to a basketball and auto racing state. And the NFL did agree to let Indianapolis be the host city for the Super Bowl in 2012. It'd be great if the Colts were in it that year, too! Home field advantage during the Super Bowl!
Old 18.01.2010, 05:06 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyhorse View Post
I was born and raised in Indianapolis. Even here in the US, Indianapolis and the State of Indiana are often overlooked and ignored. In fact, sometimes one can hear Indianapolis referred to as "India-no-place." It's just thought of as a small-sized city in the middle of corn fields. It doesn't have the "sex appeal" or "glamor" that other US cities have, especially those on the East and West Coasts. We do have the Colts, the Indiana Pacers, and the Indy 500, but that's about it. However, it is a decent town to live in, especially because of the Colts, who brought pro football to a basketball and auto racing state. And the NFL did agree to let Indianapolis be the host city for the Super Bowl in 2012. It'd be great if the Colts were in it that year, too! Home field advantage during the Super Bowl!

Agreed!

In addition to "Indiana-no-place" there's always "nap town".

About the only time I run into someone from another country is if they are here for a convention or visiting family members. They certainly didn't come here to see Indianapolis. Which is a shame really. But Indy doesn't have the luster of Boston, Chicago, Miami and LA. Growing up in Indy, I remember seeing many non Americans here for the 500, but that doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to. Most Americans seem to enjoy NASCAR, and non Americans enjoy Formula 1. Indycar has lost much of its allure. So I can certainly understand the lack of Colts fans abroad. Although I'm happy to see there ARE some!

I was really hoping the Colts would head over to London next year, but it seems it won't be happening. I think I read it will be San Francisco and Denver in London this fall.

What part of Indy are you in? I'm on the north east side - Castleton area.
Old 18.01.2010, 06:10 PM
All Pro

What would Indy be like as a place to visit when going to watch a game
Old 18.01.2010, 06:57 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidIndy View Post
Agreed!
About the only time I run into someone from another country is if they are here for a convention or visiting family members. They certainly didn't come here to see Indianapolis. Which is a shame really. But Indy doesn't have the luster of Boston, Chicago, Miami and LA. Growing up in Indy, I remember seeing many non Americans here for the 500, but that doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to
Well I'm coming over to represent the UK when I study at IU in the fall so at least they'll be one more out of towner! Plus it will be a personal mission to see a couple games at Lucas Oil