Who starts next season at qb? - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old 02.02.2010, 02:43 PM
All Pro

Nice to see you back RedRage (whether I missed you or not, seemed to be gone for a while)

Agree that it HAS to be Matts team this YEAR, not 6 games, not 10 games, whole season. He needs a chance to grow into what he's learnt, earn the trust of the huddle and the respect of Defenses. He has played well sporadically with very little 1st team reps on the practice field.

I am on the anti Chad line, sorry, don't like Pennington. If Campbell was available in a back up role that would be my move personally. I think he's a solid QB with very few frills and thrills, so would do, but this is unlikely. We'll have to see what's honestly available at the end of the day. Garcia?
Old 02.02.2010, 03:53 PM
Pro Bowler

I tend to drift in and out of forums - no idea why! Nice to see the sections for the individual teams though; and I see we have picked up a few more fans too

I don't see the point of Chad Pennington either; I don't have a problem with him, but he'll probably want to try and start somewhere. Worried about his injuries too.
Jason Campbell is intriguing in that I liked him when he was at Auburn, but he does need a strong running game to help him out. I don't think he'd lose games, but I'm not sure I want Josh McCown mach II either.
Garcia... hmm I dunno, isn't he about 67 now

I'm trying to think if there is backup somewhere that came in to start and did okay... but I can't think of anyone who isn't in line to start for his team next year.
Old 02.02.2010, 07:05 PM
Starter

@ Red Rage

I understand your sentiment on Matt, he's got great stats in college and was not only a 1st round pick but came with the aura of a future superstar with it. My impression has always been pretty good, that he needed more time but he's ok. The worry is at the start of the season Whisenhunt made a comment I read on the Cardinals official website this season (small quote below) that he would not commit to who the No2 QB behind Warner would be between StPierre and Leinart.

''...after coach Ken Whisenhunt made the backup quarterback role open competition between Leinart and Brian St. Pierre.''

From an article called 'Leinart's view of the future'

So that doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that the coaches at Arizona rate Matt all that highly as StPierre has shown nothing like the ability to be a starter at a competitive franchise. A big part of me wants Matt in there, but if we keep StPierre as backup and draft or trade a no3 of little or no experience then where does that leave us? All of a sudden we have a very weak depth chart rather than one of the strongest a year ago.

That's why I like the Pennington suggestion, as a no2 or in competition with no7 it just adds a little to the mix.
Old 02.02.2010, 09:07 PM
Pro Bowler

I wouldn't read too much into that quote for a couple of reasons:

They want to push Matt to excel; lets not forget that he has enough money to last many people, many life times, so he has to be kept on his toes. Matt knew that Kurt was going to be starting last season, so he had to have some sort of motivational force behind him. They had also promised St Pierre a shot at the back up role when he resigned.

I say drop St Pierre; he's over 30 now, he's never going achieve anything, and he's awful. We bring in a vet to push Matt and keep him competative; and if he can't cope, then at last we have someone to stop the ship sinking. Also, if we draft a project, then at least we have young player who may have a shot in a couple of seasons.

I don't see any way that this isn't a rebuilding year for us now that Kurt is gone, and Dansby is practically gone. It's okay if Matt takes a few games to find his feet.
Old 02.02.2010, 09:27 PM
Starter

Hi Red Rage,

I reply only to agree with your answer...or at least I hope that's the reason. Matt surely has the skills to achieve at this level and there are obviously people at Arizona who rate him as he achieved that 1st round pick and has done great things in college.

Think a point made a few posts ago about Campbell is also relevant to Leinart though, and that is to say that if we can build on our running game I think it does take a lot of pressure of any qb.

I just hope our defense will be tight enough to not see Matt (or whoever it would be) chasing the 50 points that were needed to beat GB (and that would have been needed to beat the Saints).

I wrote a blog and few weeks ago on the Cards, let us know what you think....
Old 02.02.2010, 09:47 PM
Starter

what is Jon Kitna doing next year?
Old 02.02.2010, 09:56 PM
Starter

You may have seen I have been slated through this thread I started by foolishly mentioning 'Vick' as a potential qb at the Cards, and I have taken the rath of fellow Cards, and I understand that........but Kitna?

He's doing very little on the Dallas roster last I heard, maybe as a number 2/3 as a maybe but he did so little with Detroit in his 2nd year to think he's not going to be any challenge to Leinart.

To be fair a couple of years back I might have agreed if Warner had gone earlier but I think he's another guy who could do a job, but there's much better out there for me.
Old 02.02.2010, 10:01 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
I tend to drift in and out of forums - no idea why! Nice to see the sections for the individual teams though; and I see we have picked up a few more fans too

I don't see the point of Chad Pennington either; I don't have a problem with him, but he'll probably want to try and start somewhere. Worried about his injuries too.
Jason Campbell is intriguing in that I liked him when he was at Auburn, but he does need a strong running game to help him out. I don't think he'd lose games, but I'm not sure I want Josh McCown mach II either.
Garcia... hmm I dunno, isn't he about 67 now

I'm trying to think if there is backup somewhere that came in to start and did okay... but I can't think of anyone who isn't in line to start for his team next year.
Hi, thanks for making us newbies feel so welcome. I have followed the Cards since 1990ish but had never thought of coming on a web site and doing this kind of thing...great to talk to other fans, just forgive me the odd stupid or nieve comment or two and I'll get the hang of it soon.
Old 02.02.2010, 10:49 PM
All Pro

What about someone like Andrew Walter at back up. Nobody that is going to uspet the apple cart but has time as an NFL starter. Or who's being dropped by the Buc's?

Don't know the state of Chris Redmond's contract either?

But Matt has to start, and I am prepared for a plausible decline back to Cardinals history for a while. I think we've had a few years in the sun, and quite frankly thats a lot for our team when you think about the history

Buckle up, it's going to be a bumby ride, but a fun one I'm not getting off!
Old 02.02.2010, 10:50 PM
Team Captain

What about Brett Favre? Lol, I'm just kidding!

I just had a brainwave earlier, what about Kevin Kolb of the Eagles?