Rolle on his way out? - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old 19.02.2010, 01:28 PM
Pro Bowler

its not Rolles safety play we will miss (he's an average/just above avaerage safety) as much as his open field running when he has his hands on the ball thats where he excels!!

as for Dansby I came to terms with the fact he would be gone this year, a long time ago
Old 19.02.2010, 01:38 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldfin View Post
Are you guys worried at the prospect of losing both Rolle and Dansby?

I'm not too sure what Dansby's situation regarding a new contract is, but how do you guys feel at the prospect of losing two of your best defensive players?
I cant speak for the others but I think the Rolle situation is pretty cut and dried. His rookie contract has escalators designed to reward him for outperforming his expectations at corner. Had he become an elite corner then maybe the contract would either be played out in full, or he would be able to negotiate a nice extension with even more guaranteed money. In the way fitz was able to.

But he failed as a corner and has had a good transition to free safety. He does get used as the nickle corner in that package, and does well, with the Cards often using an extra safety where other teams might use an extra corner. He can also return kicks. So he is really important to the team. BUT in no way will the Cards or any other team be giving him 12.1 million dollars to play Free Safety. Not even if he was the best ever.

Dansby is obviously a massive loss. Mostly because we lost his back up Pace to the Jets, and the depth is not up to that standard. The Cards have known this day was going to come for 3 years, and have tried to address it in the draft with mediocre results. It may mean the one for one rule for the last 8 teams, sees the Cards have to sign the next best ILB to a similar contract Dansby gets offered elsewhere.

I hope he at least gives the Cards the chance to match any offer he gets elsewhere tho. (If they are able too under the new rules)

Both will be big losses, but even with them in the D, the Cards have struggled on that side of the ball. Especially in coverage (Mr Rolle). So maybe they arent as great as they think they are. I'm in no doubt that Adrian Wilson is more important than those two. But still it would be the kind of loss that could mean the 9ers are in better shape than the Cards in 2010.

If they both go. And with the Warner money. The Cards will have something like 30 million dollars, even at the old cap. That should help bring in replacements. Whether they can improve the D tho is questionable.
In a perfect world, I'd want them both. I dont think we have a chance with KD. And if Rolle wasnt in danger of going to prison for tax evasion (That may not have applied had he worked in Florida). I'd be more optimistic of him staying. But he could be the latest NFL cut for money reasons rather than performance ones.
Old 19.02.2010, 01:49 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Both will be big losses, but even with them in the D, the Cards have struggled on that side of the ball. Especially in coverage (Mr Rolle). So maybe they arent as great as they think they are
I agree...
I hesitate to say this......but personally I think Rolle and Dansby are big fish in a small pond and not the super stars they are painted to be...i'm not saying they are bad players made look good just that they aren't the super satrs we feel they are compared to others in their positions...
[ducks behind desk]
Old 19.02.2010, 01:51 PM
Pro Bowler

Appreciate the feedback guys. Both Rolle and Dansby (not to mention Boldin) are supposedly on Miami's radar, as both FS and ILB are two massive positions of need for the Fins.

Not sure if you guys are aware, but both players have spoken of their desire to play for Miami.

Karlos Dansby recently said:

"It would be huge....to come down there to Miami to a program that’s building up and becoming a contender in the tough eastern conference in the AFC. I like their attitude. I like how they approach the game...Parcells, man, hit your boy Karlos Dansby up, man. I’m ready, man. I think I’m a proven player. I think I can bring a lot to the table. I’m definitely what you need."
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports/...-84500427.html

While Rolle has said:

Free safety Antrel Rolle.

"Rolle, a former University of Miami star in the Pro Bowl for the first time, is in a sort of limbo right now because the Cardinals are scheduled to pay him $12 million in salary and a bonus in 2010. The idea behind having such a whopping figure in the final year of Rolle's contract is to force both sides to renegotiate a new deal or simply cut ties.
And while Rolle insists he loves the Cardinals, he also loves the idea of playing for the Dolphins in South Florida, where he grew up, played at Homestead High and The U.
"That would be nice," Rolle told me. "You know what I mean. I would love to take some of the burden off of mom and dad seeing as they travel to every game. Miami is home for me. I haven't played here in five years, but hey, we can make it happen."
Rolle repeated that his parent fly across country to every game he plays. That's 16 weeks of travel and he'd like to lighten their burden by giving them eight home games in Miami.
"I'm still a Cardinal right now"
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

One interesting point that both you guys have stated is that Rolle is'nt that great in coverage?
Old 19.02.2010, 01:58 PM
Pro Bowler

Both guys would/will flurish with better personell about them but I'm not sure they are the building blocks for a program.
Dansby is the better of the two no doubt about that..and with better LBs around him he might be the difference maker....Rolle was drafted as a cover corner who ....well didn't but since we converted him to FS he has grown into the roll (no pun intended) but he will be missed simply because we have nothing to replace him with at the moment, not because he is so important to us.
But when Rolle gets the ball in his hands he is electric look up his field goal attempt return for example
Old 19.02.2010, 02:26 PM
MVP

Quote:
One interesting point that both you guys have stated is that Rolle is'nt that great in coverage?
As has been said once he does get an interception, he is Josh Cribbs excitng to watch. But his coverage is only good. Like DRC. At times they overlook a nice pass defended stat, for the pick, and end up with a gave up TD stat.

Boldin to Miami last year was a real possibility, I hear, but the Phins wouldnt stump up 9 million per year. He still wants it, so unless they've decided he is worth it....
Many Cards fans like the trade scenario od Ronnie Brown for Boldin. I doubt Miami would be as keen. But one elite player for another is a good place to start.
That would probably mean a trade of THT to San Diego for DRC's cousin Antonio.

Probably just chat room stuff at this stage though.
Old 19.02.2010, 02:41 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
As has been said once he does get an interception, he is Josh Cribbs excitng to watch. But his coverage is only good. Like DRC. At times they overlook a nice pass defended stat, for the pick, and end up with a gave up TD stat.

Boldin to Miami last year was a real possibility, I hear, but the Phins wouldnt stump up 9 million per year. He still wants it, so unless they've decided he is worth it....
Many Cards fans like the trade scenario od Ronnie Brown for Boldin. I doubt Miami would be as keen. But one elite player for another is a good place to start.
That would probably mean a trade of THT to San Diego for DRC's cousin Antonio.

Probably just chat room stuff at this stage though.
What I've been hearing NS is that we could get Boldin for a 3rd and a 6th rounder. I know your GM said this week that trading Boldin is a viable option and apparently on 620 Sports Radio in Phoneix Arizona, they said that the Fins and Cards were in active trade talks (not really buying that though).

As you said hard to get any solid information at this point, although the longer the Cards go without trading Boldin maybe there demands might come down for him?
Old 19.02.2010, 03:02 PM
MVP

Quote:
What I've been hearing NS is that we could get Boldin for a 3rd and a 6th rounder. I know your GM said this week that trading Boldin is a viable option and apparently on 620 Sports Radio in Phoneix Arizona, they said that the Fins and Cards were in active trade talks (not really buying that though).

As you said hard to get any solid information at this point, although the longer the Cards go without trading Boldin maybe there demands might come down for him?
They will only drop so far as it doesnt become more sense to just keep him this year. 3 and 6 does sound about right though. The Cards want a second, but wont get that.

With the Cards being in the last 8 this year though, I think a man for man trade may be more up the Cardinals street. But this again poses problems as we saw last year with the Eagles lunatic ideas that Boldin for Lito Sheppard was a possibility. Teams tend to think (and in the past why not) that they could offload unwanted guys for elite prospects along the lines of Boldin. Since Michael Bidwill became more involved we have seen a whole new Cardinals approach. So it would take a player of Brown's stature to get them interested. But I concede that wouldnt be as attractive to the Phins. It depends how keen on getting Boldin they are.

What are your views on Chad Henne? Are the Dolphins likely to try to build a team around him? Will they be looking for a Boldin type target for him? And would the phins be able to cover Brown if that trade did actually happen?
Old 19.02.2010, 03:22 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
They will only drop so far as it doesnt become more sense to just keep him this year. 3 and 6 does sound about right though. The Cards want a second, but wont get that.

With the Cards being in the last 8 this year though, I think a man for man trade may be more up the Cardinals street. But this again poses problems as we saw last year with the Eagles lunatic ideas that Boldin for Lito Sheppard was a possibility. Teams tend to think (and in the past why not) that they could offload unwanted guys for elite prospects along the lines of Boldin. Since Michael Bidwill became more involved we have seen a whole new Cardinals approach. So it would take a player of Brown's stature to get them interested. But I concede that wouldnt be as attractive to the Phins. It depends how keen on getting Boldin they are.

What are your views on Chad Henne? Are the Dolphins likely to try to build a team around him? Will they be looking for a Boldin type target for him? And would the phins be able to cover Brown if that trade did actually happen?
Didn't think you guys would need someone like Ronnie Brown with the emergence of Hightower and drafting Wells last season. I do know what you mean that you would need a player of that quality for Boldin. Brown is our only high profile player and I would think you would need to give up a little more to get him. Maybe Boldin and a 4th?

Whether the Fins would be able to recover from the loss of Brown is a good question and I actually think we would. Brown like Boldin is injury, perhaps even more so. We lost Brown for a good deal last season and the running game continued to impress with "old man" Ricky Williams. The strenght of our running game is in our O-Line I feel and if we were to off-load Ronnie, then a high pick on a RB would cushion his loss. But we did miss him at times when he went down and ideally I would like if we kept him in Miami. After all, he is the heart and sole of the offense.

I personally think Chad Henne is our guy and at the end of the season our GM Jeff Ireland said that they will try to find some legitimate targets for him to progress even further. I think not having a go to guy really hurt Henne last season, even though Henne was still playing at a very high, drops by everyone on our below average receving core affected his confidence in them. He even said a couple of weeks ago he would love to have a go to guy in Miami. This is why we need a guy like Boldin, a clutch receiver who will get you yards after the catch and fight for every ball. If we dont get a big named wideout in FA or by trade, then I feel Dez Bryant comes into serious consideration in the draft. Either way, I dont see our poor receiving corps not being upgraded.

How are you feeling about the prospect of Matt Leinart being your QB this coming season?
Old 19.02.2010, 03:40 PM
MVP

I have been behind Leinart amongst all the off field guff. But his play this year really has rocked my faith in him. He did OK at Tenessee, which was his only start. And in his defence he only found out a couple of hours before the game that he would be playing. But his play in garbage time was utter garbage. Truely awful.

I think the Cards absolutley must get a guy like Pennington as insurance this year. Matt deserves his chance, and this year his salary is low. But if he wants his roster bonus in 2011 he has to be more than OK.
Third string Brian St Pierre isnt someone I would be happy to see padded up each week. And getting in a rookie would be a waste if Matt hits his stride. Hence a proven Vet in case of injury rather than a rookie is my hope.

I dont want to see Hightower gone. but getting Brown would probably make me forget that. I think its a no go, but it makes more sense than some trades mentioned on the Cards boards.