Dolphin Free Agent Wish List 2010 - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Miami Dolphins

Old 22.02.2010, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Not that any of us seriously thought we had a chance to get him... but we can all officially stop dreaming about landing Vince Wilfork now!!

Double bummer really... not only can the Dolphins no longer sign him, but we now have the prospect of continuing to face him twice a season.

Shows how poor the Dolphins have been in recent seasons. The Patriots seem to have to use their franchise tag every year... the Dolphins on the other hand never need to use it!
Old 22.02.2010, 09:06 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishman32 View Post
Not that any of us seriously thought we had a chance to get him... but we can all officially stop dreaming about landing Vince Wilfork now!!

Double bummer really... not only can the Dolphins no longer sign him, but we now have the prospect of continuing to face him twice a season.

Shows how poor the Dolphins have been in recent seasons. The Patriots seem to have to use their franchise tag every year... the Dolphins on the other hand never need to use it!
Never really expected to see it happen, but as a Phin fan you have to dream
Old 22.02.2010, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCF View Post
Never really expected to see it happen, but as a Phin fan you have to dream
Yeah exactly. ...So long as he was potentially an option, I was going to keep dreaming!

I must admit though... I am getting concerned about the NT spot. It is pretty much the most important position on the 3-4 defense... and who knows what is going to happen with Ferguson. Either way, he's old and injury prone. Soliai is ok, as a guy to rotate in and out... but I've decided he's no longer a potential starter long term. With major needs at LB and WR, we probably are not going to use the top draft pick on a NT.

So it looks like we'll be going down the veteran stop-gap solution again, because even if we do draft a guy, it's unlikely he'd start immediately. ...And with that in mid, I'm really starting to think that Casey Hampton might be the best option for the time being (if he is still available when free agency kicks off). I certainly think that Hampton would be a better stop-gap solution than resigning Ferguson for the same purpose.
Old 22.02.2010, 09:25 PM
All Pro

Agree with your thoughts on Hampton, more years left in the tank than ferguson and cheaper to boot. This'll certainly be an interesting Phins draft, i'll be watching a lot of combine to find out who i should be looking at.
Old 23.02.2010, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Just reading on NFL.com that it sounds like Pittsburgh will slap the franchise tag on Hampton if they don't reach a deal with him.

That will be another option gone. NT is definately a big concern right now.
Old 25.02.2010, 07:32 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishman32 View Post
Just reading on NFL.com that it sounds like Pittsburgh will slap the franchise tag on Hampton if they don't reach a deal with him.

That will be another option gone. NT is definately a big concern right now.
Well our choices are narrowing by the day. I guess re-signing Ferguson is looking more and more probable as is drafting a NT quite high also.

The alternative?

Well we could give up a first rounder and a later pick for one of these franchised guys but just cant see that happening. Or we try one of these guys Cincy's Tank Johnson, San Diego's Ian Scott or Baltimore backup Justin Bannan. Not exactly a who's who of premier nose tackles.
Old 25.02.2010, 04:14 PM
All Pro

We really need a NT but i don't think we have to get a massive name. Solai is a decent tackle but maybe not starting, so he can rotate with someone. I like Solai and think he would do a good job with somebody. Either in FA which is now slim, or the draft of course. There are some decent prospects at DT so we might pick up one. I wouldn't mind Ferguson coming back with Solai getting experience last season, they could rotate more? Might work with NT options becoming slimmer and slimmer.
Old 25.02.2010, 07:15 PM
Hall of Fame

Soliai isn't consistent enough. There is plenty of depth at NT in the draft and I reckon we take a 2nd round or 3rd round pick on a NT. Much cheaper and better long term alternative than Hampton
Old 25.02.2010, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsio777 View Post
Soliai isn't consistent enough. There is plenty of depth at NT in the draft and I reckon we take a 2nd round or 3rd round pick on a NT. Much cheaper and better long term alternative than Hampton
Yeah I think that is the best option now.

I would have liked Hampton as a stop-gap to groom a rookie behind though. I think he would have been a better stop-gap than Ferguson. Mind you, I'm not sure if Hampton would have settled for a short-term 2-3 year deal. But like Crowder says, with few veteran options left, I think we may have little choice other than to resign Ferguson to a short term deal, and then use Soliai and a rookie in the NT rotation.
Old 28.02.2010, 08:51 PM
MVP

The only thing that concerned me from the combine was when shown a list of the top 6 or so DT's, the first three were ideal size for the 3/4 but the players from 4-6 were too small to play a big run stuffing 3/4 type NT.

My feelings are that we should and need to pick ILB with our 1st Rnd pick so the top 3 DT picks would likely be gone leaving us with the next best 3 who would be totally unsuitable in the 3/4.

Last edited by Mark_Duper; 28.02.2010 at 08:56 PM.