The Slump Continues - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Indianapolis Colts

Old 06.12.2010, 01:11 PM
Rookie

Default The Slump Continues

With two of FOUR Interceptions being returned for TD's, and the final INT being the down turn of the Colts in Overtime leading to a Field Goal winning kick for Dallas, Colts fans have to wonder what in the world is going on with the usually consistent Peyton.

The third straight loss has meant Indy are no longer in the lead of the AFC South and with 11 INT's in just three games it's no big surprise to hear that it's Peytons worst record in a three game stretch since he joined the NFL.

It's not all bad though lads, if it wasn't for Peyton the game would have never even reached Overtime. Although on the flip side, 20 of Dallas' points were scored off turnovers.

Just hope that Manning can snap out of this funk, he's worryingly bad right now.
Old 06.12.2010, 01:13 PM
All Pro

yeah lets hope he can snap out of this slump very very quickly
Old 06.12.2010, 02:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil93 View Post
yeah lets hope he can snap out of this slump very very quickly
Well the Offense have also put their hands up and said they need to up their game and hold on to the ball.

It's a start, but Peytons still gona be to blame for the INT's and needs to pick his passes come gameday or I fear it'll be the first time Indy miss the playoffs since.... 2001...... I think? lol
Old 06.12.2010, 10:51 PM
Team Captain

At a time when you'd want to be throwing it more sparingly due to all the well documented receiver issues, we're passing it more than ever because of the non-existent running game.

Seems like the answer is for Peyton to be more careful but at the same time he's having to force some things and take risks to move the ball at all. Obviously you always want to be careful with the ball and it's easy to say in hindsight that he shouldn't have thrown it when it's intercepted - though some of the picks have come from poor decisions certainly.

If you go back a few years to earlier Colts teams, e.g. 2004, 2005, and to a slightly lesser extent 2006, they ran the ball much more effectively. You were looking at over 100 yards rushing on 9, 10 or 11+ times a season, in some cases well over 100. For the last few seasons that kind of thing we've been lucky to see two or three times a year and of late it's been worse than ever.

It's hard enough to be effective if you're one-dimensional with a talented and well-oiled passing offense; but when you take away Clark, you take away Collie, Gonazalez and also Addai who has been used more and more out of a receiver position against favourable matchups in recent years, you're really starting to stretch the likelihood of being successful.

Jacob Tamme had barely seen the field before apart from special teams - now he's learning by doing, as are Blair White and Javarris James and on a couple of occasions Brandon James. This isn't an attack based on big physical receivers who can go up and out-fight DBs for the ball. It's always been based on timing and precise routes which has come from relentless practice and repetition and everyone being on the same page.

As we know a limited offense can sometimes be enough to win if you have other pieces in place - namely defense and special teams. Typically though with the Colts the offense has been the bread and butter and the rest of the team has merely needed to be serviceable to get things done. Special teams especially has taken a hit with the injuries promoting guys to the first string. They're struggling to return kicks beyond the 20, in fact getting to 20 has become a problem without taking a touchback.

All this stuff is having an affect on performance and that's before you consider things like leverage penalties!

It's hard to say what to expect from the remaining 4 games after this latest meltdown. I'd certainly like to see Peyton reined in a little because whilst punting it away more may not ultimately allow us to win games given other deficiencies, you aren't going to beat anybody turning it over 4 or 5 times a game and throwing pick-6s. Perhaps this is where the calming influence of Tony Dungy helped previously.
Old 07.12.2010, 12:39 AM
Team Captain

I agree with everything here. But i dont care who your QB is, when you take these guys away you arent going to do well.

The list of players who have missed at least one game that i can think of:

Joseph Addai
Mike Hart
Dallas Clark
Pierre Garcon
Austin Collie
Brodie Eldridge
Anthony Gonzalez
Charlie Johnson

Antonio Johnson
Ricardo Mathews
Clint Session
Gary Brackett
Jerraud Powers
Kelvin Hayden
Bob Sanders
Melvin Bullitt
Justin Tryon
Kavell Conner(i think)
Jacob Lacey(i think)
Mike Pollack(i think)
Pat Mcaffee(got drunk and went for a swim in a canal)

That is just stupidly unlucky, but somehow after how poor we have been, if we win out then we will be hosting a wildcard game in january, its going to be tough, but you can never count the colts out. we have 4 games which i see as winnable(Tenn, Jax, Oak, Tenn) and in my mind the crucial thing is that we dont play an 'elite' QB, as they always seem to whoop us.
Old 07.12.2010, 08:40 PM
magicmatt99

jerraud powers just put on IR- huge blow
Old 07.12.2010, 09:56 PM
Team Captain

Story of the season. They got Justin Tryon back for the Dallas game but lost Hayden and Powers. One step forward two back.
Old 07.12.2010, 10:22 PM
Team Captain

But atleast we get Dominic Rhodes in the backfield again
Old 07.12.2010, 11:50 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsfan93 View Post
Story of the season. They got Justin Tryon back for the Dallas game but lost Hayden and Powers. One step forward two back.
One step forward and two steps back (8) country and western song
Old 08.12.2010, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Awww, the waaaaahmbulance is on its way!

Sorry guys, some of you deserve a little ribbing for the crap you were dishing out earlier in the season. The game in two weeks will be a cracker - may the best team win!