Younger Colts Players - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Indianapolis Colts

Old 17.07.2011, 11:22 PM
Team Captain

Default Younger Colts Players

When you hear about the Colts, much of the talk is that we are an aging team who's period of dominance is coming to an abrupt end.

I would like to point out a few reasons why this is not as true as it has been said.

Young Talent- Little do people realize but the Colt's roster is actually loaded with young talent. On offense we have the highly under rated Austin Collie, as well as two new offensive lineman, a young Donald Brown who has shown flashes of why we drafted him and Pierre Garcon; who hopefully has learn to catch again during the lockout.

Our defense is also loaded with young talent, the Colts managed to make two great draft grabs last year by drafting Kavell Conner and pat Angerer who both proved they could play as rookies, Jerry Hughes will hopefully become a lot better as well. The Colts also have Jerraud Powers, who many experts predict will become a pro bowl cornerback, as well as Jacob Lacey, who has proved ok at Cornerback.

Although the Colts have to face losing Peyton Manning and a few other key players in the next few years, due to Bill Polian, the Colts have always drafted well, and I'm certain Polian will be able to find good enough players to replace these key men, using the Draft, or undrafted free agents.
Old 17.07.2011, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think that most of us who are exposed to the colts on a regular basis see an ageing team - the issue is that you have age and contract issues in the two most important parts of any team in the NFL, QB and Pass Rush. Polian will have to work some magic to keep the team at the same levels they have been and even the most realistic colt fan would have to admit that when manning goes, the number of wins and the way the team plays will have to change.
Old 17.07.2011, 11:42 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I don't think that most of us who are exposed to the colts on a regular basis see an ageing team - the issue is that you have age and contract issues in the two most important parts of any team in the NFL, QB and Pass Rush. Polian will have to work some magic to keep the team at the same levels they have been and even the most realistic colt fan would have to admit that when manning goes, the number of wins and the way the team plays will have to change.

Of course I admit it's going to have to change, what I was pointing at is Polian's ability to adapt to this, he's a great drafter and hopefully will still have a say when that day comes to find Manning's successor, of course things will have to change, but I think the Colt's have the ability to deal with this change, like Green Bay managed to do when they lost Favre.

The pass rush admittedly also needs to be solved, hopefully we find a way to retain Mathis and Wayne, if not Jerry Hughes needs to show up.
Old 20.07.2011, 12:52 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
if we lose either Freeney or Mathis... Jerry Hughes should be there to make the difference, we need to draft a QB next year and it'll be interesting to see what the trade market is for Stanfords Luck..
Old 22.07.2011, 05:07 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18to88 View Post
When you hear about the Colts, much of the talk is that we are an aging team who's period of dominance is coming to an abrupt end.

I would like to point out a few reasons why this is not as true as it has been said.

Young Talent- Little do people realize but the Colt's roster is actually loaded with young talent. On offense we have the highly under rated Austin Collie, as well as two new offensive lineman, a young Donald Brown who has shown flashes of why we drafted him and Pierre Garcon; who hopefully has learn to catch again during the lockout.

Our defense is also loaded with young talent, the Colts managed to make two great draft grabs last year by drafting Kavell Conner and pat Angerer who both proved they could play as rookies, Jerry Hughes will hopefully become a lot better as well. The Colts also have Jerraud Powers, who many experts predict will become a pro bowl cornerback, as well as Jacob Lacey, who has proved ok at Cornerback.

Although the Colts have to face losing Peyton Manning and a few other key players in the next few years, due to Bill Polian, the Colts have always drafted well, and I'm certain Polian will be able to find good enough players to replace these key men, using the Draft, or undrafted free agents.
I like the fact that teams are going to underestimate us this year, and refer to us as a team on the downside. Also expect the Manning injury to be blown out of proportion. Many forget that he had already held many workouts with the offence back in March and April, and then made the decision to have the surgery. He quite rightly is being cautious because due to the lockout there is no requirement for him to be doing any football activities, and is unable to consult with colts therapists who he feels most comfortable with. Expect to see him show up to training camp consult with the team therapists and for them to give him the green light soon if not straight away.

As for our roster, pretty much every department has a good blend of young and veteran players. Our O-line has just been infused with 2 highly touted rookie O-line men. Our receiving core rivals any in the league and has a good combination of guys who can stretch the field and possession receivers; also now that tamme has shown to be a reliable receiver expect to see a lot of 2 TE sets which will add another dynamic to an already potent offence.

Donald Brown appears to be in a make or break year, the talent is there he just needs to put it all together and rookie Delone Carter looks like an exciting downhill runner, something which we have not had for a while

Defensively Freeney and Mathis are still 2 of the best DEs in the game, and after a poor rookie season hughes will hopefully improve and show why he was rated as one of the best pass rushers in his draft class. I also expect rookie Drake Nevis out of LSU to have an impact and work his way into the DT rotation.

At linebacker Angerer and Conner showed some flashes last season as rookies and will look to push on and become very good players. Cornerback i think is one of out strongest position outside of Hayden we are very young at this postion with Powers, Lacey and Tryon all of whom look to be very good CBs, also dont forget about Kevin Thomas who was a rookie out of USC last year, but missed all of last season; he has great size and could make an impact if healthy.

At safety we have one of the best around in Bethea, who is in his prime and just signed a long term contract, i also think we will sign a rookie FA to compete for the starting strong safety job
Old 22.07.2011, 10:23 PM
Team Captain

What I think some don't realise is that this is the same team that won all but one of the meaningful games it played in 2009, then injuries prevented us from being a major force last year, but we still won 10 games and the division.
With all of those players back from injury(Clark, Powers, Hayden, Collie, Session, Bulllitt, Addai and others), the continued growth of the young players who stepped in last season and the rookies we drafted, i feel as though this could be a better team than the 2009 team, but it will all depend on luck as to whether it does as well as the 2009 team.