What is wrong? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old 10.10.2011, 08:19 AM
All Pro

Default What is wrong?

OK, so after that somewhat shambolic display yesterday, what do we all think the problems are for our dreadful start to the campaign? What can be done to turn it round? Can we turn it round.

Individual players can be held accountable for their mistakes, but I think our problems are much bigger than simply players making mistakes. The problem is Whiz, when he talks he sounds completely blind to our real issues, and continues to put out a product that looks inept.

The system he is running is a joke, we persist with this offense, one quarter we will run the ball, pound it, mix it up, then we see like 3 carries for the rest of the game, its baffling. We persist with 4 and 5 WR sets, yet do nothing other than look for a quick pass over the middle, nobody is stretching the field, we are barely running any draw plays when we do stretch them out with 4 or 5 wide. We look like we have about 4 plays in the playbook. Its his offense, its clearly not working, it clearly didnt work last year, but will he change it...will he heck! The man is too stubborn.

His ability to recognise talent is very questionable to say the least, quality seems to walk out the door, and be replaced with, well nothing much at all!

My biggest gripe is with the staff he has brought in, the ex-steeler brigade, I assume its just people he know will say yes to him. Russ Grimm, great player, no doubt, a sorry excuse for an OL coach, in 5 years we have managed to regress from having a poor OL, to a laughable one. Again, leaving the likes of Levi brown in the team, on the roster, its a joke. Yeh we dont have a huge upgrade, but it cant be any worse, he is clearly the worst pass-protecting OT in the NFL and has been for years, just get rid and give someone, anyone else a shot. Miller got his promotion to Offesnive Co-ordinator...yeh right, he aint running that offense, and clearly has had no chance to put any kind of stamp on the offense. Yes I know, lockout, short offseason, blah blah, its just excuses. Carolina seem to have had enough time to design and perfect numerous plays for Newton, why cant we? Horton...well Im not going to slag him off, we dont have the talent to run a 3-4 defense, let alone the extremely aggressive 3-4 defense he was brought in to run. I do hate that its another ex-steeler though.

Does Whiz seem that bothered...not to me, no passion, rolls out the same lines every week, put the same shambolic effort out every week, a team with no direction, no real game plan.

This team is failing and will continue to do so whilst he is HC. Id like to see him gone, along with all his steeler friends.
Old 10.10.2011, 09:51 AM
Pro Bowler

meh....were to begin...?

I think its pretty obvious now that it was KWs brilliance that made Whiz look so good. Whiz is 6-15 without KW.....

I look at at the Cards and our talent isn't so bad in some respects better than we have had for a while. But I question the coaches especially Grimm for the reputation of a great O line coach that he has, his players certainly dont show it ESPECIALLY the tackles ...now if we can see that the tackles are suspect why cant the front office? and the coaching staf?
and if they can why dont they help them out ? there are plenty of teams with less than stellar tackles but they recognise it and adapt there play calling to give them help....we don't..so exposing our weakness in a MASSIVE spotlight!!

Its obvious even to me that we need a #2 WR Kolbs not playing well but he's not getting a lot of help either. right now he is faced with a double or triple covered Fitz or a covered Roberts or Doucet thats not to excuse Kolb when he does have a wide open reciever he misses them

I've said before we miss Breaston he could get deep had speed and was a legit #2 who had to be respected and took some of the preasure off Fitz, we just dont have that now.

all that said Fitz needs to make some of the everyday catches (I'm not talking about his circus catches triple covered jump balls) he's dropped several and did last year too, When you look at the best WRs in the game they get open even double covered and thats thanks to the coaches play design its what we did so well under Haley with Kurt and dont do at all well now.

Our defense is a work in progress but for me the problem is Whiz insists on us being the Steelers and we just dont have the personel for it.
For me its time to find a new strong safety A-Dub has passed his 'best play by:' date he is a liability in coverage and as mentioned last night on more than one occasion he just can't get off blocks when he comes up into the box which is basically the only time he is any use.
another player past his best and who should be phased out is Joey Porter, time to blood a young guy and use JP as a backup.
the two players I mention point to our problem on D....NO PRESSURE!! with no presure we hang our young corners out to dry especially as A- Dub is such a liability in coverage.
Personally I think Rhodes has done ok this year considering he has had no help from A-Dub, but I know Rhodes has had his critics ..i'm just not one of them.

Lets look at what the 49ers are doing...they have Alex Smith at the helm but they cut their cloth to suit run first and give Smith managable passing situations and play solid defense

We have the personel in the main but its not being used right IMO...
Old 10.10.2011, 12:20 PM
All Pro

Totally agree with regards to Breaston, its quite embarassing that Roberts is his supposed replacement. Doucet has been average in the slot, but still nowhere near good enough.

Im not sold on Kolb, I get that it takes time to fully understand where receivers will be, and when, but its not like we a rolling out exotic plays, crafty routes, the plays are bog standard, and there are not many of them. He simply cant find receivers when they are open, he has passed up open receivers to throw the ball away numerous times, 10's of times. My biggest concern is his pocket presence, or lack of it. He looks hopeless in there, he doesnt know when to get out, when to stay in, when to step up, he seems to get it worng almost every play. Thats got little to do with timing and understanding the playbook, you either have it or you dont, he dont.

There are too many players on D that are not up to it, Haggans and Porter, literally a waste of space. Lenon is serviceable, but nothing more, and as you say, Wilson, he is looking to be done, woeful in coverage, and like you, I did notice he was unable to get off blocks, one by Percy Harvin, I mean, come on man! Washington and Dockett are our 2 talents on D, the rest are either meh, or past it. Campbell plays 1 game, goes missing for 2. Williams plays 1 or 2 downs, goes missing the rest of the game. Carter has done well, but only considering where he was picked, it aint being anything special. Im still gutted we missed on Von Miller, 5 sacks for Denver, oh my how we could do with him.

Im not sure there are teams with worse tackles than us, certainly not in pass-protection, its horrific. The good new is, Brown should be gone this year, no way he gets paid next year. The way we are going it looks like we could have a shot at Kalil out of USC, who in the few times I have watched him, I like what I see.

I know continuity and all that, it breeds success, but only if what you are continuing is going to work. What whiz has planned, it aint going to work.

Last edited by b182dammit; 10.10.2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10.10.2011, 01:09 PM
Pro Bowler

Well it gets better Rhodes has a broken foot and we are whisker thin at safety...
Old 10.10.2011, 06:02 PM
Pro

Hey guys, New Cards fan here

Not the best time to become one I know

I don't know us much as most about the game of NFL, but I will chime in with my little rant!

All I have seen from this weekends game are the highlights on nfl.com

From what I see, well, all I see is bowed heads
No one seems to want it, and its just embarrassing

Dockett was the only person I seen any evidence of who was trying to do anything about the mauling that we were getting in the 1st Quarter.

Our offensive line just looks non existent!
So many plays on that 3 minute highlight reel were just Kolb getting the ball snapped and just covered in purple jerseys in no time at all. Surely the OL is the biggest need going into next years draft, Its a shambles

Kolb will get killed behind this line if it continues like this. Granted he hasn't played well up to now, and there are other Quarterbacks learning to systems in the same amount of time. But when you basically got no protection, the guy is gonna get scarred for life, he must just be panicking knowing he doesn't have long to find an open guy, thus missing wide open targets
The only fault I do have of Kolb is the same as I have with nearly all of the roster. When things go bad they just seem to accept it, the heads all drop in shame but nobody wants to do anything about it! There doesn't seem to be anybody trying to raise morale!

The head coach has got to go at the end of the season, less for some miracle turn around coming out of the bye week. Like has been said on here already, the Offensive Playcalling stinks of KW and its about time we accept he aint gonna take us any further, hes done all he can do, its time to get somebody fresh in and rebuild this franchise properly.

For me, this roster just lacks too much talent at too many positions, when you can't make the playoffs out of the NFC West, thats when you know something is seriously not right.

In the draft I would like to see us address the following: OL, LB, S,
I think they are out biggest needs.
Anybody have any opinions on this?
Old 10.10.2011, 06:11 PM
Team Captain

Rashad Johnson was pretty bad too, I believe Whiz is passionate and I think he isn't too bad. I don't think he's bad at play calling, Darren Urban tweeted out today that Chris Miller was actually the dedicated offensive co ordinator.
My problem with him and his "steeler friends" is that they are trying to create a Steeler-esque team with players that don't match that system. Our strongest point on defense is our D-Line, but we waste our premier pass rusher to take double teams when running in a 4-3 would be much better. Especially since we are weak and old at the LB position.
Back to the thing about play calling, I think that also lies with our passing game. Kolb only knows around a fifth of the offensive playbook at this moment in time, this bye week will allow him to learn more and maybe we'll be showing a plethora of plays in a few weeks. Also Cam Newton and Ron Rivera are both new to the Panthers which means they can develop it as they please in essence. That being said that is something Whiz should take into account, make a scheme that works for all our players, not work all of our players into a scheme that they may not be effective in.
1-4 sucks but our schedule isn't exactly tough I see a rebound for us.

EDIT: Oh also can someone please explain to me why Rich Bartel went in. The most non nonsensical thing I've seen.
Old 10.10.2011, 06:15 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl.afl View Post
Hey guys, New Cards fan here

In the draft I would like to see us address the following: OL, LB, S,
I think they are out biggest needs.
Anybody have any opinions on this?
Welcome, it aint all bad, go to a game sometime, Arizona is a beautiful place. Now we have the positives out of the way...

Im not really sure who is responsible for the decision on who to draft, I assume its Whiz, but Graves could have a big say. Either way, with these 2 picking, aint no way we draft any OL worthy of a spot on any roster, 5th rounder at best, we just dont draft OT high.

We dont have a 2nd round pick, so if we miss on Luck, We need to go OT or OLB, and be aggressive in FA for the other.

Agreed on Safety, Wilsons time is coming to an end. However I believe PP21 gets this year and next to prove himself at CB, Wilson stays until then. If PP21 has not proven himself he take Wilsons spot, we look to acquire another CB.

We NEED a legit no.2 WR, its hurting the Offense badly. I like what Housler has to offer from the TE, and I think he can help through the rest of the year in stretching the field.

The way we are headed, we will be picking high, and I will be hoping for Luck or Kalil with the 1st round pick

Last edited by b182dammit; 10.10.2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10.10.2011, 06:23 PM
Team Captain

Guys, you do realise Kolb is going to get better, right?
I agree that we should be winning right away, which is why we acquired him, but there is no doubt in my mind that he'll get better. Even Kurt Warner didn't win right away when he joined.
Also you really cannot comment on Russ Grimm's coaching ability, he's an OL coach, you don't really know much about him since he isn't spoken about much. We do know he is a Hall of Famer, which surely counts for something, but any criticism about his coaching is kinda baseless from fans.
Old 10.10.2011, 06:37 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteRed View Post
I don't think he's bad at play calling, Darren Urban tweeted out today that Chris Miller was actually the dedicated offensive co ordinator.
I dont buy it at all, its Whiz' offense, and he is calling alot of the plays. We are running the exact same plays we did last year, and have for years, nothing has changed, its his offense.

Quote:
My problem with him and his "steeler friends" is that they are trying to create a Steeler-esque team with players that don't match that system. Our strongest point on defense is our D-Line, but we waste our premier pass rusher to take double teams when running in a 4-3 would be much better. Especially since we are weak and old at the LB position.
I do think we would be more solid as a 4-3, however we would still have the same problem, edge pass rush. Not sure DD would play on the end in a 4-3, he is going to be playing DT. That leaves what on the end? Campbell and who? All of our problems on defense begin and end with OLB, its that simple. DD is doing his job, taking those double teams, which should be giving opportunity to Porter and Haggans, problem is, theyre not up to it. We are reliant on a 3 man line getting sacks, its crazy. no pressure and our DB's are hung out to dry. 4-3 or 3-4, we wouldnt be much better. The defense issue isnt as much about scheme, whatever we do, we aint good enough, its about talent in crucuial positions, we just dont have it.

Quote:
Also Cam Newton and Ron Rivera are both new to the Panthers which means they can develop it as they please in essence.
Not quite sure what you mean? How is them both bieng new to the system beneficial, surely that has them at a disadvantage?

Quote:
1-4 sucks but our schedule isn't exactly tough I see a rebound for us.
Its been anything but tough so far, and we have shown nothing to suggest a turn around. We are going to be 1-6, im sorry, I dont care how easy the schedule is, there is no way we win the 7 or 8 needed in the last 9 games to give oursleves a chance.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh also can someone please explain to me why Rich Bartel went in. The most non nonsensical thing I've seen.
I thought it was one of the few correct calls all year, it should have been made much earlier. If he wasnt going to try something different once the game was done, give Kolb new things to learn, then why risk him being butchered behind that line, its risk/reward. The reward of him getting in a bit more practice aint worht the risk of injury.l

Last edited by b182dammit; 10.10.2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10.10.2011, 06:42 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Guys, you do realise Kolb is going to get better, right?
I agree that we should be winning right away, which is why we acquired him, but there is no doubt in my mind that he'll get better. Even Kurt Warner didn't win right away when he joined.
Maybe, maybe not. i wasnt expecting lights ouyt, and Im happy to let timing, missing routes, etc for the time being, but his pocket presence is really bad, and that has little to do with learning a new system.

He has regressed in every game so far, its worrying. Im not out on him, I just htink we need to see improvement week on week, given the odd off-week. At the minute, its getting worse each week.

Quote:
Also you really cannot comment on Russ Grimm's coaching ability, he's an OL coach, you don't really know much about him since he isn't spoken about much. We do know he is a Hall of Famer, which surely counts for something, but any criticism about his coaching is kinda baseless from fans.
Huh?? We cant comment? He is coaching the OL, its not as if its his first year, he has had years, it was, and still is one of the worst OL in the league, if not the worst. The proof is in the pudding, he flat out stinks.