Skelton gets a road 'W' but could he be a starter? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old 13.11.2011, 10:00 PM
Starter

Default Skelton gets a road 'W' but could he be a starter?

Great to see us get a road win, our 'streak' becomes 2 but winning on the road for the first time in 12, particularly against the stellar (if under-performing and injury stricken Eagles) could be the start of something.

Keeping the Eagles to 14 points really gave us a chance and John Skelton really did deliver in those key drives. A little bit of good fortune aside he was very commanding at important times. He made the most of Fitz and on 3rd and goal he was trusted with the ball in his hands rather than a safe run to secure up the FG to tie.

Recent comments on the forum said that JS was not looking as if he would develop into a strong NFL starter for us, I was in agreement with that - even after last week's win. But after tonight JS has gone 4-2 as a starter for the Cards, a record that is a far better win ratio than Hall, DA or Kolb have managed over the last two seasons.......will there be any way that Skelton would start ahead of a fit KK next week against San Fran?

Personally I would be putting Kolb back in there in a heartbeat. For me he's the better QB, would have got a result against the Rams (where we won with Skelton but not really because of Skelton), added to that I think we have seen a few key guys return to full fitness which has shown tonight and been a factor.

Also I think to drop Kolb you have to be sure it is the right thing to do, not only do you start NFL Network chatting about 'where does Kolb go from here' and 'it's Philly all over again' but you cannot chop and change, it has to be a decision you stand by and you have to give 19 a real run of games.

But hats off to JS, although not a perfect performance he delivered on some make or break drives where we have so often broke this season.

A road win as we head into a crucial run of road games could be a time that we look back on and decide was a turning point if this season is to amount to anything at all.
Old 13.11.2011, 10:12 PM
Rookie

Skelton may not have had impressive games and may have got lucky in this game with the tipped passes, but from what I see he is a winner. Not once has Kolb stepped up in the 4th quarter when it matters, yet Skelton seems to be thriving under the pressure right now. Kolb will and should start when he's fit, but Skelton can count himself unlucky that he won't be the starter. If Kolb doesn't perform well in the next game then there truly will be a QB controversy. We'll see how it goes.
Old 13.11.2011, 10:16 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLobz View Post
Skelton may not have had impressive games and may have got lucky in this game with the tipped passes, but from what I see he is a winner. Not once has Kolb stepped up in the 4th quarter when it matters, yet Skelton seems to be thriving under the pressure right now. Kolb will and should start when he's fit, but Skelton can count himself unlucky that he won't be the starter. If Kolb doesn't perform well in the next game then there truly will be a QB controversy. We'll see how it goes.
JS has always had a super cool and very laid back approach, it doesn't do it for me but if it works and gets the guys around him going.....
Old 13.11.2011, 10:21 PM
Pro Bowler

I don't know about Skelton i reckon he could develope into a great QB but he will be one of those long term projects. but when the light goes on...
right now I wish I could mix a little of him with a ilttle of Kolb

while i'm here Levi Brown was aweful again to day if we could up grade there I think we would see a dramatic improvement in offense
Old 13.11.2011, 10:22 PM
Rookie

Our O-Line is awful! We give up so many sacks!
Old 13.11.2011, 10:26 PM
Starter

With you both 100% and even with our existing personnel I'd be looking at options as on OL it couldn't get much worse if we changed it, surely?

Despite our record am I crazy to think we really are only a handful of players away from being a really good football team?

It has been a long time since we could enjoy back to back wins, I'll sleep soundly tonight!

Last edited by roser; 13.11.2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 13.11.2011, 10:50 PM
Team Captain

Yeah we should draft O-Line for next year as well as getting some through free agency.

Anyway the defence has been the best it's been this week and last week, which no doubt helped John Skelton. I was saying pre season that we should get a band aid QB and faze Skelton in, but that being said, Kolb can play ball. He's (Kolb) a good QB and it'd be a waste not to use him, he'll get there, you never know he may have had a 4 TD performance against St. Louis a week ago, or this week. Let's be honest, although we won the offence wasn't exactly great. Defence gave us the chances.
Old 14.11.2011, 01:24 AM
All Pro

To be honest I thought the OL held up pretty well in pass protection today barring a couple of plays. The sacks came down to skelton holiding on to the ball too long.

I really dont know what to do with QB situation, both show me some good plays, both some terrible. Talent-wise, Im not sure what I would do. What I will say though, we have been in some close game with them starting, Kolb has bottled it on every occassion, Skelton brought us back level last week, and drove us to win the game this week. He drove us to victory against the Cowgirls last year. He is a winner, no doubt and he gets it done when he needs to.

Its harsh on Kolb if he doesnt play, but as far as im concerned, Kolb has gone 1-6, Skelton 2-0, you dont take the guy thats winning out until they stop winning.
Old 14.11.2011, 10:27 AM
Pro Bowler

overall our OL wasn't that bad yesterday except for Levi who consistantly blocks to the outside first and lets a defender rush the B gap and that gives the QB no chance at all and results in those sacks where the qb gets bowled over with a rusher in his face.

I also think that Skelton helps the OL out a lot with his play he gets the ball out quick
Old 14.11.2011, 02:54 PM
Starter

This is a pretty good QB controversy to have to be honest.

Kolb/Skelton vs Anderson/Hall...??

Neither guy, despite what we are paying KK ,has a huge amount of actual gametime experience but Skelton has shown he can make comebacks, make pressure throws and be very Plummer-esque.

KK could be a good QB but he could either go the way of a Matt Schaub or a David Carr.

With the Oline we have got now, I prefer Skelton under centre.
If we eventually sort out the Oline and some some decent pass protection ( yeh I can dream) , then we will really see what Kolb is capable of.
Until that point , you have to go with #19 I think.