Skelton gets a road 'W' but could he be a starter? - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Arizona Cardinals

Old 14.11.2011, 05:19 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelondoncard View Post
This is a pretty good QB controversy to have to be honest.

Kolb/Skelton vs Anderson/Hall...??

Neither guy, despite what we are paying KK ,has a huge amount of actual gametime experience but Skelton has shown he can make comebacks, make pressure throws and be very Plummer-esque.

KK could be a good QB but he could either go the way of a Matt Schaub or a David Carr.

With the Oline we have got now, I prefer Skelton under centre.
If we eventually sort out the Oline and some some decent pass protection ( yeh I can dream) , then we will really see what Kolb is capable of.
Until that point , you have to go with #19 I think.
No, with the 49ers seemingly running away with the division we should probably be looking to next year. Because of that, you shouldn't go with #19 and you HAVE to go with KK. Would be an unbelievable waste of money otherwise and would be a little premature to write him off now.

I really like Skelton and as a blank slate I think he is much better since he has all the things you can't teach. He still needs to learn though, and if, this year, we find out what Kolb can offer, we can decide whether or not to play Skelton. We know a little bit of what we have in Skelton but Kolb is a bit more of an unknown. We should play Kolb whenever he was available, and this is coming from a guy who disliked the Kolb trade.
Old 14.11.2011, 07:18 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I really like Skelton and as a blank slate I think he is much better since he has all the things you can't teach. He still needs to learn though, and if, this year, we find out what Kolb can offer, we can decide whether or not to play Skelton. We know a little bit of what we have in Skelton but Kolb is a bit more of an unknown. We should play Kolb whenever he was available, and this is coming from a guy who disliked the Kolb trade.
agreed when Kolb is healthy he should be our starter we need to know what we have in him if anything.... before we give him his $7,000,000 roster bonus in 2012
if he hasn't got it then we should cut him loose and build either around JS or the draft

I have been quite shocked how different the qbs look in the pocket..if JS can stand in there and deliver the ball then KK should be able to as well
Old 14.11.2011, 08:11 PM
Starter

I still stand by KK as mentioned but there is an interesting debate to be had.

For me we have seen an improved performance in almost every position in the last two games and I think that KK would have benefited from that as much as Skelton has, particularly against the Rams.

I'd be putting KK in against San Fran but bizarrely after the turmoil of last year at QB I'd be happy to see all three of these guys back next term....I think Rich Bartel is a really decent 3rd string and looked good in preseason ( I also really liked the way he was the first guy to congratulate KW at the end of the game yesterday, good job! ), Skelton as our longer term project is a good option and I still think that Kolb will be the man given time, true that he has to stand up in the weeks ahead.

Despite starting this thread I was expecting the general feeling to be for KK, but if we aren't sure I wonder what Whiz has in mind?
Old 14.11.2011, 09:19 PM
Team Captain

"Now the Cards have won two in a row with Skelton under center, and if they go back to Kolb they are nuts. Skelton can grow into the job as he proved Sunday. He can make all the throws and seems to have a sense of rhythm with Larry Fitzgerald. I realize Skelton will make his share of mistakes, like he did throwing an out in front of Asante Samuel, but eventually he has to learn. Once he does, he might pay huge dividends." Michael Lombardi on NFL.com

No sir, you are nuts. It wasn't that Skelton's play elevated the entire group. The entire team played better since they are more familiar with the scheme, which probably helped Skelton, of course maybe Skelton's leadership lifted them but we don't know.
Put Kolb back in to see if JS is the real deal, if Kolb struggles while getting the same amount of help from the defense and stuff, then we may look to lean towards Skelton. Right now we don't know, it is stupid and illogical not to start Kolb if he can play.
Old 14.11.2011, 09:31 PM
Starter

It's a tricky one for sure and I don't care who is QB as long as we get the wins.
I think the main concern here seems to be the money we spent ( or will spend ) on Kolb.

If it IS just a financial thing, then this surely has to be the wrong way of thinking. Kind of like when your wife or gf goes out and buys a pair of shoes and only wears them once!
My concern for Kolb is that he will end up shellshocked behind this Oline- David Carr style- and happy feet and rolling out early will become part of his game .This will just set us back if we keep playing him only because we spent money on him.

So for the sake of discussion, how about this?
Say Skelton plays a good few games while Kolb is injured.
Would the Cards think Kolb was an expensive mistake and go for a decent vet in FA , a good value acquisition ?
Easier said than done I know but below are FA QBs for 2012.
Can you imagine anyone of these backing up Skelton :

QB Kyle Boller QB Drew Brees QB Jason Campbell
QB Kellen Clemens QB Dennis Dixon QB Trent Edwards
QB A.J. Feeley QB Rex Grossman QB Shaun Hill
QB Josh X. Johnson QB Luke McCown QB Kyle Orton
QB Brady Quinn QB Chris Redman QB Alex Smith
QB Drew Stanton QB Vince Young

The only ones I would even consider is Trent Edwards, Kyle Orton and maybe Campbell.

If Skelton's early promise fizzles out , then yes, we go back to the Kolb and Skelton 'controversy' but then the need must be to go Oline with at least 2 picks in the draft.
Old 14.11.2011, 09:35 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteRed View Post
"Now the Cards have won two in a row with Skelton under center, and if they go back to Kolb they are nuts. Skelton can grow into the job as he proved Sunday. He can make all the throws and seems to have a sense of rhythm with Larry Fitzgerald. I realize Skelton will make his share of mistakes, like he did throwing an out in front of Asante Samuel, but eventually he has to learn. Once he does, he might pay huge dividends." Michael Lombardi on NFL.com

No sir, you are nuts. It wasn't that Skelton's play elevated the entire group. The entire team played better since they are more familiar with the scheme, which probably helped Skelton, of course maybe Skelton's leadership lifted them but we don't know.
Put Kolb back in to see if JS is the real deal, if Kolb struggles while getting the same amount of help from the defense and stuff, then we may look to lean towards Skelton. Right now we don't know, it is stupid and illogical not to start Kolb if he can play.
Im sorry but thats not true, what he says is spot on. Fact is, he threw a pick 6, then drove almost 90 yards for a TD, threw a pick and the Eagles took a 17-14 lead, he drove almost 90 yards for the game-winning TD. He did it last week to tie the game with the Rams in the 4th quarter. Kolb so far has not shown the bottle to get it done when the game is on the line, Skelton has.

The big thing for me, the deep ball, with Kolb, he barely takes a deep shot to Fitz, yesterday Skelton went for it on numerous occassions, its crucial to our game, Skelton realised this, and whilst some may say he got lucky a few times, Fitz creates luck, give him a slight chance, he can make a play.
Old 14.11.2011, 10:06 PM
Team Captain

True, but Kolb just needs to trust the O-Line more, without getting flushed out of the pocket so easily. Then he can see and make plays, he says Skelton can grow into the job, well so can Kolb. He may be older than Skelton but he hasn't fizzled out.
Sure, Skelton has been clutch, but the D has been even more clutch recently, which we can't say for when Kolb had his chances. I just think it would be silly to not play Kolb whenever he can for the rest of the season so you have good, reliable information on both QBs before making a decision about moving forward.

I mean, do you think we should start Skelton this Sunday, given Kolb is 100% healthy? (Not rhetorical even though it sounds like it, I do want to hear your opinion.)
Old 15.11.2011, 08:36 AM
All Pro

I would start Kolb. I think if he's been paying attention to the way Skelton has played he will stand in the pocket and go for it. His fundamentals at this point are better. I am starting to wonder if Skelton could develop into something BIG the more we see him though. The pass over the LBs to Roberts was stunning, the kind of poise and touch we haven't quite seen from Kolb recently. However during the first 3 weeks Kolb was solid and progressing, losing so many close games seemed to hurt the entire team and it showed.

Kolb is still the man and we need to test what we've got in full before keeping him next year and paying him another bucket of cash.
Old 15.11.2011, 01:05 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteRed View Post
True, but Kolb just needs to trust the O-Line more, without getting flushed out of the pocket so easily. Then he can see and make plays, he says Skelton can grow into the job, well so can Kolb. He may be older than Skelton but he hasn't fizzled out.
Sure, Skelton has been clutch, but the D has been even more clutch recently, which we can't say for when Kolb had his chances. I just think it would be silly to not play Kolb whenever he can for the rest of the season so you have good, reliable information on both QBs before making a decision about moving forward.

I mean, do you think we should start Skelton this Sunday, given Kolb is 100% healthy? (Not rhetorical even though it sounds like it, I do want to hear your opinion.)
Im not really sure who we should start, what I do know is that I can understand the thinking behind either one that is picked. If we want te best chance to win the game on Sunday, we have to go with Skelton, the facts prove this. I simply dont think the decision is simple enough to say Kolb goes back in. Im not ruling Kolb out as our franchise QB, but I am concerned enough about the potential that if Skelton is winning, which he is, Id find it hard to justify benching him.

Agreed, Kolb does need to learn to trust the pocket, hang in there longer, but he simply isnt doing it, and has shown no proggression in doing so, in fact he seems to be running more and more each week. Maybe he can learn to be a pocket passer, but form what Ive seen, Im not sure he can overcome his instincts to run when he even senses the slightest bit of pressure.
Old 15.11.2011, 02:12 PM
Pro Bowler

speaking of QBs ....guess who will be starting for the Texans after the bye