Great Player for the Fins 15 93.75%
Not a great player 1 6.25%
Journey Man has played for 3 teams 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02.01.2012, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsio View Post
Although a great player calls for his number to be retired, and a place in Canton are a bit premature.

His stints at the Redskins and Jets shouldn't count against him (but will) as really the Dolphins twice wanted rid, but twice came crawling back, and to his credit held no ill will to the franchise.

I feel Canton is out of reach and do feel strongly against #99 being retired. If thats the case retire #54 as well. Zach Thomas is as much an integral part of recent Dolphins history as JT
I agree that his number shouldn't be retired... that should only be reserved for the elite of the elite. ...But there is no question he has a great chance at the HoF. 6th all-time in sacks. That stat alone automatically puts him in the running.

When you than add some of his other stats.... Especially 46 FF and 29 FR, 8 INTs and 9 TDs. The FF and FRs are astonishing figures. The TDs and INTs don't necessarilly look astonishing, but they are very impressive for a player that spent most of his career playing DE.

Compare his numbers to Michael Strahan (a player most people considder to be a lock for Canton). Strahan has just 2.0 sacks more. He only has 4 INTs, 3 TDs, 24 FF and 15 FRs. Strahan has a couple more sacks... but when you compare those other big play/game changing numbers, Taylor is dominating him, with almost double the numbers. ...Those stats really highlight how JT had a knack for making the big game changing play, by causing or forcing turnovers.

Then add 7 pro bowls, 3 times 1st team all-pro, and a defensive player of the year (all similar to Strahan also). To me, all those things add up to a Hall of Fame resume. He won't be first ballot, but there is no doubt that he's going to get serious consideration at some point. It wouldn't be at all surprising to see him wind up in Canton some day.

Last edited by Cornishman32; 02.01.2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02.01.2012, 03:58 PM
All Pro

It'll be a disgrace if he doesn't get in, and it should be quick enough. Your stats say enough.
Old 02.01.2012, 05:53 PM
MVP

I think he'll get in, probably not a first timer, lack of any sort of playoff success could harm him though - exactly the same for Zach.

In terms of impact for the Fins I think they are about the same, but Taylor's stats are more impressive. Sadly I don;t think Zach will get in, but he's ahead of JT on my own personal all time Dolphins list.

As for JT, I absolutely loved him as a player throughout his career, and he's been around for the entire time I supported the Fins through the 2000s despite a bit of a lapse in my following of the sport in the late 90s.

His heartbreak sack celebration will always be one of my biggest memories of him, he was a superb player, athletic lightningly quick off the LoS, and an absolute terror for opposing OLs when he was on his game. Despite the slight up-and-down end to his career here (I was extremely annoyed at the Jets move), I'm ok with it now, a total and utter pro throughout, and an all time great Dolphin.
Old 02.01.2012, 06:08 PM
MVP

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but JT's locker room speech after the Jets game:

http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/v...a-fb4e1dd615e1

Worth a watch - quite emotional.

Last edited by Duper85; 02.01.2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02.01.2012, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duper85 View Post
I think he'll get in, probably not a first timer, lack of any sort of playoff success could harm him though - exactly the same for Zach.

In terms of impact for the Fins I think they are about the same, but Taylor's stats are more impressive. Sadly I don;t think Zach will get in, but he's ahead of JT on my own personal all time Dolphins list.
Yeah totally agree with that. Zach had just as much impact for the Fins (could even be argued that he had a bigger impact)... and they will forever be linked together. Zach is also ahead of JT for my own personal favourites.

But there is no doubt that JT's HoF credentials are better than Zachs. If I was a betting man, I would guess that JT will probably get into Canton someday, whereas Zach will probably miss out. That doesn't mean that Zach was a lesser player for the Fins though. Like you say, in terms of his impact on the franchise, he is every bit as important to the Dolphins as JT is.

And both are absolute stone cold locks to be added to the Dolphins ring of honor.
Old 03.01.2012, 10:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but JT's locker room speech after the Jets game:

http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/v...a-fb4e1dd615e1

Worth a watch - quite emotional.
Yeah shows how much of a team player he is. Loved the reaction of the players when he took that fumble back for a TD on Sunday even though it was called back.
Old 04.01.2012, 02:06 PM
All Pro

Quote:

As for JT, I absolutely loved him as a player throughout his career, and he's been around for the entire time I supported the Fins through the 2000s despite a bit of a lapse in my following of the sport in the late 90s.

His heartbreak sack celebration will always be one of my biggest memories of him, he was a superb player, athletic lightningly quick off the LoS, and an absolute terror for opposing OLs when he was on his game. Despite the slight up-and-down end to his career here (I was extremely annoyed at the Jets move), I'm ok with it now, a total and utter pro throughout, and an all time great Dolphin.
Its the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Really Good.

I think JT is amazing, but I don't think he had that Reggie White / Bruce Smith edge.

If Cris Carter can't buy a bust then I don't think JT has a hope.

Zach doesn't deserve it either, look at the other LB's playing at present. Is he better than Ray Lewis? I don't think he's better than London Fletcher (HUGELY underrated imho) and there's no chance we'll see him at Canton.
Old 04.01.2012, 04:22 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypergeek View Post
Its the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Really Good.

I think JT is amazing, but I don't think he had that Reggie White / Bruce Smith edge.

If Cris Carter can't buy a bust then I don't think JT has a hope.

Zach doesn't deserve it either, look at the other LB's playing at present. Is he better than Ray Lewis? I don't think he's better than London Fletcher (HUGELY underrated imho) and there's no chance we'll see him at Canton.
I know what you're saying, the main comparison is Strahan who is very close in terms of career stats. If Strahan struggles to get in, JT will be out as well.

6th all time in sacks is a very impressive stat though.
Old 04.01.2012, 04:40 PM
All Pro

He will get into Canton no problem. I don't even consider him a 'maybe'. He's a cert imo.
Old 04.01.2012, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanMarino View Post
He will get into Canton no problem. I don't even consider him a 'maybe'. He's a cert imo.
I wouldn't say he is a cert.... but I definately think he's got a better than average chance. Like Duper says, Strahan will be an interesting guage.

Many people consider Strahan to be a lock for the Hall of Fame... But JT's stats are far better than Strahans in several important categories (Big play/game changing-type stats as I mentioned in my other post). Strahan has the edge in sacks... but only by 2.

JT won't be a first ballot... but I do think he has got a better chance to get in, than not to get in if you know what I mean. Sadly Zach's chances are pretty slim.