Thoughts on Fasano? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Miami Dolphins

Old 16.07.2012, 01:19 PM
Starter

Question Thoughts on Fasano?

I've been mulling this over a bit the last few weeks, and wondered what other people thought on the subject of TE Anthony Fasano's future at Miami.

This article in the Palm Beach Post catalysed the thinking of some people who question whether Fasano has a future with the Dolphins:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...-tight-/nPdNM/

For what it's worth I was impressed with him last year, he proved to be a capable safety-blanket for Moore to throw to, and did indeed exploit gaps in coverage to get space for a reception, and he showed he could do it with the pressure on.

Granted he didn't have the position-changing season that Gronkowski had, but then who else did?!

So, I think I've come to the conclusion that if he leaves the Dolphins roster, it's not for lack of talent, but for lack of fit with a new scheme. I hope that he can make the adjustment, because I rate the guy as a TE, and he will be a good example for the upcoming Clay / Egnew.

Welcome your opinions...
Old 16.07.2012, 03:19 PM
Hall of Fame

I think he's pedestrian at best. He's okay, nothing more than less. He does all things solidly but nothing excellently.

In a position of increasing importance and influence we need someone better than Fasano. Nothing against the guy ona personal level but he kind of embodies Mami and it's acceptance of middling talent. Perhaps Philbin enables him to break out but I can't see it.
Old 16.07.2012, 04:24 PM
Hall of Fame

I think he is a bit under-rated as a blocker but never improved on the potential he has shown as a pass-catcher. The position has improved massively in recent years with the likes of Gronk and Graham which has left us behind. Hopefully the WC offence will suit him.
Old 16.07.2012, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Ramsio. He's solid, but nothing special. Average at best.

No complaints at what he has done for the Dolphins though. From the production they have had out of him, for what they gave up, it was a fantastic trade the Dolphins pulled off in 2008. But although he's a steady player, there is no question that it is a position the Dolphins can upgrade.

The Dolphins clearly realise that as well with all the young TEs they've drafted or signed in the last couple of years. It will be interesting to see if the rookie Egnew can really challenge him as the #1.

Charles Clay may see a lot more time on the field this year as well... although to be fair, he has a very different role to Fasano, and will be asked to do some very different things, so I'm not going to compare those two too much.

Last edited by Cornishman32; 16.07.2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 17.07.2012, 07:29 AM
Pro

I think he will be cap casualty, not a bad TE but not excellent.
Old 17.07.2012, 11:41 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejacton View Post
I think he will be cap casualty, not a bad TE but not excellent.
Yeah that looks likely since he is due to earn $3.6million this year and his contract expiring next summer. Can't see us re-signing him for that amount especially if someone like Clay or Egnew can step up.
Old 24.07.2012, 10:58 PM
Pro Bowler

I really like Fasano, but resigning him depends upon how Clay/Egnew play this year.

I'm certain that Clay will be a beast this year, but I'm not sold on Egnew. If both play to a good enough standard then I won't be too disappointed if Fasano goes.
Old 25.07.2012, 06:21 AM
MVP

I like him too, he's one of the best blocking TEs in the game, and has played well for us, despite being an average pass catcher (but by no means awful).

But he suited the Sparano team as it was a run first in a conventional setup (apart from wildcat). With Philbin, we'll be a lot more about zone blocking in the rushing game, which he could certainly contribute to. But we'll ideally like to use TEs in a similar way to how a lot of teams have started to use them over the middle creating mismatches against linebackers and he might not have ideal athleticism and pass catching for that job, especially if his financial demands are high - he will become too expensive for what he gives the team.

So I could certainly see him sticking around this year as we don't have many other options out there, but unless he accepts a smaller contract I could see us waving goodbye after his contract runs out.
Old 25.07.2012, 11:23 AM
Team Captain

I agree with whats already been said. I think he's a perfectly serviceable TE and I dont think he's ever really let the team down.

He's not someone you constantly moan about but he's also not someone who grabs a lot of attention. You sort of know what your going to get.

I would like to see him have a great year and i think EVERYONE is going to see more balls thrown at them this year than before but with his salary I wouldnt surprise me if he goes next year.

Tags
fasano , tight end