Preseason Thoughts? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Miami Dolphins

Old 27.08.2013, 05:21 PM
Pro

Default Preseason Thoughts?

Hi,

I've just signed up here but been a fan for a while, so firstly let me say hi. I wondered what people's thoughts were on the 3 preseason games so far?

Good/Bad points? Predictions for the Regular season?

BDob
Old 27.08.2013, 05:48 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdob View Post
Hi,

I've just signed up here but been a fan for a while, so firstly let me say hi. I wondered what people's thoughts were on the 3 preseason games so far?

Good/Bad points? Predictions for the Regular season?

BDob
Welcome, always great to have another Phins fan join the group.

Pre-season has been mixed for me, Tannehill has improved over the games especially as Wallace has been available which is absolutely key. The running game isn't looking great and neither is the O-line outside of the usual two (Pouncey and Incognito). Defense still looks beastly on the front 4!
Old 27.08.2013, 05:50 PM
Team Captain

Hi bDob!

It's great to hear from you and have you on board with the roller coaster ride that is being a Dolphins fan!

My experience is that it's pretty difficult to gauge how the team is based on preseason games...score lines are irrelevant your team can look real hot in preseason and then really struggle in the regular season and vice-verse. However for what it's worth i thought we looked pretty poor to start off with but the starters looked pretty sharp against the Bucs.

For me the good points are:

1) Dion Jordan has looked pretty damned good and think he will be an impact player and should only get better as time goes on.

2) The front seven on deference look awesome and we seem to have real quality depth certainty on the D-line

3) Tannehill and Wallace seem to be getting on the same page and overall Tannehill has improved as preseason has gone on.

4) The defence has created some turnovers which hopefully bodes well for what was a problem area on defence last season.

And the Bad:

1) Losing Dustin Keller...real bummer i think losing a reliable TE for Tannehill is really going to hurt us and i don't see anyone stepping up to make me change my mind.

2) For me still way to many dropped passes by our wide receivers...with the loss of keller these guys really need to step up.

3) Although they looked better against the Bucs I'm still not convinced about our O-line both in pass protection and run blocking.

4) Running game seems a bit average but in all honesty i'm not sure if this is more the O-line not opening up the running lanes rather than Miller and Thomas not performing.

I'm sure there is more but these are the most obvious things to me.

Great to hear from you
Old 27.08.2013, 05:52 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Akie View Post
Welcome, always great to have another Phins fan join the group.

Pre-season has been mixed for me, Tannehill has improved over the games especially as Wallace has been available which is absolutely key. The running game isn't looking great and neither is the O-line outside of the usual two (Pouncey and Incognito). Defense still looks beastly on the front 4!
Seems a accurate summary Akie
Old 27.08.2013, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfan1uk View Post
1) Dion Jordan has looked pretty damned good and think he will be an impact player and should only get better as time goes on.
Jordan had some good days in practice, but there was not a lot to go on in the preseason.... he only played a handful of snaps. Got high hopes for him though, once he gets fully healthy. Good to see him back at practice today, even if it was on a limited basis.

Welcome bdob BTW!
Old 27.08.2013, 08:09 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishman32 View Post
Jordan had some good days in practice, but there was not a lot to go on in the preseason.... he only played a handful of snaps. Got high hopes for him though, once he gets fully healthy. Good to see him back at practice today, even if it was on a limited basis.

Welcome bdob BTW!
I think this year we will see very little of him in actual games, we're looking strong at DE as it is. Jordan is really behind after missing time due to Oregons school scheduling and then his injury. Next year is when we need to start seeing something from him on the field but he looked a handful against Jax.
Old 27.08.2013, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Akie View Post
I think this year we will see very little of him in actual games, we're looking strong at DE as it is. Jordan is really behind after missing time due to Oregons school scheduling and then his injury. Next year is when we need to start seeing something from him on the field but he looked a handful against Jax.
Yeah... it's pretty clear that they are not taking any chances with their prized draft pick, and are going to bring him along real slow.

I don't think he'll be anything more than a situational pass rusher this season... and only when they are 100% confident that he is fully healthy.

And I'm cool with that... Olivier Vernon showed flashes of dominance last season, and after the training camp and preseason he has had this year, he looks poised to have a breakout season. Hopefully Vernon should give the Dolphins no reason to rush Jordan.

Last edited by Cornishman32; 27.08.2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 27.08.2013, 08:40 PM
Pro

Hello all, another new poster here.

Really looking forward to seeing how the defense performs this season, has looked good, especially against the Bucs and although only pre-season, feel optimistic about how we can pressure QBs and create turnovers.
It is wise to pace Jordan's development and ensure he can contribute as the season progresses.
Old 27.08.2013, 09:02 PM
Pro

Some good points from everyone and I don't think you guys are far wrong to be honest. The defensive line doesn't seem to be much of a problem at all really - the starting team seem to be really clicking and know exactly where everyone else is going to be.

I really hope that O-line can get it together in the first couple of games, and push on from there. I've got mixed thoughts about the first games up to bye-week, but could definitely do with a 50% win rate for them to have a chance of the conference.
Old 03.09.2013, 12:57 PM
Rookie

I think we have a great looking D, Tanny seems to be getting some rhythm too which is great. The running game worries me terribly though and too many dropped balls in the passing game. Of course you can never really tell until the real action starts. After the Cleveland game we'll have a much better feel for how things might go.