The General News Thread - Page 103 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Old 03.04.2015, 01:02 PM
MVP

p.s. a quote from a blog from last year:

"some £140m was paid out last year as bonuses for (civil service) staff, including some departments where every member of staff received one."
Old 03.04.2015, 07:31 PM
davidjones178@hotmail.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensonF View Post
If the Can't Prosecute Service doesn't hand out bonuses, it must be an exception. Most other government departments do so. Here's a random example:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...6/14_14735.pdf

And when you get to Mandarin level in the civil service, things get eye-watering. Local government doesn't do too badly, either.
An interesting document. But what exactly does it say?

It appears to be a response to a request to reveal the bonus payments made to SCS staff. SCS meaning the Senior Civil Service. It doesn't say these are only in the DECC. Is that what the request was? I'm guessing it is. Let's say it is.

In that case we have 2 bonus years here with bonuses going all the way from 200 to 15k. There are 71 payments in total.

SCS1 = 51
SCS2 = 18
SCS3 = 2

But since this covers 2 years let's halve that for clarity, making

SCS1 = 26
SCS2 = 9
SCS3 = 1

SCS1 is the least senior and SCS4 the most senior (but there is only one of them!).

But how many people work in the SCS for the DECC? Oh, that's not difficult. The Uk Government is actually pretty transparent:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ta.csv/preview

There were 117 of them in September 2013 (21 of the posts were eliminated or vacant).

SCS1 = 85
SCS2 = 26
SCS3 = 5
SCS4 = 1

So we can say that on average 31% of SCS1, 35% of SCS2 and 20% of SCS3 staff received a bonus.

I don't think the numbers are very excessive. In fact what you have here is something very different to the city bonus culture which would be more like 0%, 50% and 100%. The people in the big jobs seem less likely to get a bonus. The Permanent Secretary (SCS4) did not get any bonus in either year. Show me a bank boss who doesn't take a bonus when his staff do and you will see pigs fly.

Should they get a bonus at all? I don't know, but this not fat cat stuff. These people aren't typists and tea ladies. They are heads of finance, deputy directors, directors... their combined salaries come to a little over 9 million pounds. The total listed bonuses come to a shade over 600,000. Divide that by two years and you have 300,000 pa. Are my maths right? Does that mean the DECC bonus pool is appx 3% of salary?

3% is not vast. If it makes the DECC work even 1% more efficiently maybe it is worth it. I don't know how you would measure that. Less climate change perhaps?

As for the Mandarins earning more, well, no, they aren't - not in the DECC anyway! These are the Mandarins. All the way up to the Permanent Secretary (i.e. Humphrey in Yes Minister). He didn't get a bonus. Poor Humphrey.
Old 03.04.2015, 08:09 PM
MVP

Quote:
p.s. a quote from a blog from last year:

"some £140m was paid out last year as bonuses for (civil service) staff, including some departments where every member of staff received one."
Not mine. Don't know anyone who got a bonus in the last three years. Haven't had a pay rise in five.
Old 03.04.2015, 08:25 PM
davidjones178@hotmail.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Bin View Post
Not mine. Don't know anyone who got a bonus in the last three years. Haven't had a pay rise in five.
There is an interesting page on the PCS website that reveals the extent of civil service bonuses from 2005 to 2009.

http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/resources/p...s-payments.cfm

Evidently this was quite a pervasive practice for Senior Civil Servants. Not huge sums necessarily but clearly there was a lot of performance related pay going on under Labour. No great surprise that. Labour hosed money on everything else. They sprayed some over the SCS too.

No wonder there was "no money left".
Old 03.04.2015, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Same here.

Some outside the public sector revel in the myth that everything is gold plated and rosy - pensions, bonuses, job security.... Don't have two of them and one has been severely attacked by this government for me personally.
Old 04.04.2015, 07:07 PM
GOAT

Quote:
In my CS employment we used to get a 'bonus' payment every June.. we are a trading fund and as such are self sustaining but have to come under government guidlines for civil servants.. so when the 'austerity' measures kickesd in they said we could no longer receive the 'bonus payment' as it was given to all staff (except those who had not worked a full year or were on 'Restoring efficiency') and therefore was not a 'bonus' but wages.. however this payment was on a 3 tier basis.. a basic payment.. available to all regardless of the above (except those under a year) a middle tier top up on the lower available to all those who met criteria and then an enhanced for those whp had gone above and beyond..

Now what we have is a one tier system in which only the top 5% of staff receive a bonus but have to 'exceed' in the majority of all objectives in a 'How' and 'What' criteria.. if they exceed in the how but not the what they do not get considered..
Old 05.04.2015, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Same here.

Some outside the public sector revel in the myth that everything is gold plated and rosy - pensions, bonuses, job security.... Don't have two of them and one has been severely attacked by this government for me personally.
Whenever anyone attacks me over my job I tell them to go online and apply for the job themselves, since its so much better than whatever they're doing.

They usually shrug and walk away
Old 07.04.2015, 10:30 AM
MVP

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...to-100000.html

Life is good at the top.
Old 07.04.2015, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ridiculously misleading headline there. Not like the torygraph at all
Old 07.04.2015, 10:40 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Ridiculously misleading headline there. Not like the torygraph at all
I'd love the concept that this doesn't happen x100 in private sector companies...