Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 352 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 15.09.2010, 04:27 PM
All Pro

LBs were good weekend and hopefully stay fit all year and we might just might have a say...and yes silly mistakes, 100+ yds on pens dont help at all
Old 15.09.2010, 07:51 PM
All Pro

I'm quite encouraged, really. Obviously hard to tell how good you are & how bad your opponents are in week 1, but outgaining the other side by 300 yards is never easy.

Aside from the more obvious worries like protection, penalties, holding onto the ball etc, I was bothered by the sloppy playcalling. It was like a lazy game of Madden. Going for the td when you're down by 2 fairly late was absolutely crackpot, but there were also 2 maybe 3 occasions when they got bogged down around the Detroit 40 when a fg would have put them ahead.
Old 15.09.2010, 11:38 PM
Pro

Quick shout out to Matt Forte aswell who has won NFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance on Sunday, lets hope he has a season more like his rookie year than 2009, potentially one of our best players in my opinion if he gets firing on all cylinders.
Old 16.09.2010, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBear View Post
I'm quite encouraged, really. Obviously hard to tell how good you are & how bad your opponents are in week 1, but outgaining the other side by 300 yards is never easy.

Aside from the more obvious worries like protection, penalties, holding onto the ball etc, I was bothered by the sloppy playcalling. It was like a lazy game of Madden. Going for the td when you're down by 2 fairly late was absolutely crackpot, but there were also 2 maybe 3 occasions when they got bogged down around the Detroit 40 when a fg would have put them ahead.
I would agree with this, quite an encouraging start.

A couple of things to consider:

Detroit out produced us in terms of offensive yardage over the two games last season and they are an unquestionably stronger team this year so to have more than 300 yards more of offence is a good performance.

I am baffled that people think the defence did not play well (not here per se but generally Bears fans seem to be questioning the D) and in particular the secondary. Yet the Lions posted only 148 passing yards compared to 308 and 249 last year. Stafford did get hurt but Hill is good enough to move the chains imo.

Say what you like about how poor Urlacher can be against the run, he is still good in coverage and looked excellent as a blitzer last week. More importantly people knew their assignments better and he commanded the defence. Moreover, his being on the field means Briggs can focus on playing downhill, something he does very well.

The penalties were bad, but it was Week 1 and we have new system. I see this as a situation that will definitely improve.

The passing game is already producing (it always seems to when Aromashodu is on the field) and you would think that it will gwet better as the players become more used to it... promising.

The offensive line worries me. Pass protection and run blocking we weak, just like last year.
Old 19.09.2010, 08:50 PM
Rookie

Right, let me just say what an amazing result for Da Bears tonight. Before the game Nick and David totally tore the bears apart and that was compounded by Joe and Troy almost laughing at our o-line in the first quarter. But credit to Martz and Jay-C for changing their plays. We used to get off the bus running but I can cope with this new passing game if we can get results like this most weeks. Next week is massive - with the Vikes going down again today we can really stamp our authority on the division. The whole team played well but Jay-C, Matt F, Brian, Lance, Julius and DJ Moore - take a bow!!!
Old 19.09.2010, 10:16 PM
All Pro

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon1980 View Post
Right, let me just say what an amazing result for Da Bears tonight. Before the game Nick and David totally tore the bears apart !

Nick Hailling is a Tw@t and I told him that..he has a man crush on the Steelers...him and Joe (I look like Tomas Dolby) Buck hate Da Bears,they want to run them down every week...Hailling was most likely back tracking for what he has said ...the guy is a pr@ck of the highest order...

From your biggest Fan Hailling ...
Old 20.09.2010, 09:39 AM
All Pro

Cutler played a very mature game. Last year if a game started like that Cutler would have done crazy things.

Cutler has a 100% win ratio when his QB rating is over 100. Stats are often very misleading, but I'll bank that one!

Huge credit to Martz for navigating out of that early Dallas rampage. They had to stop bring so much pressure because every completed pass turned in to a big gain.

I actually think we can run the ball fairly effectively (not great but ok); we choose not to, but I see some decent sized holes.

Did Ominyale do a better job than Williams?
Old 20.09.2010, 10:55 AM
Hester at the 40, 30, 20, 10, touchdown!'s Avatar
Hester at the 40, 30, 20, 10, touchdown! Hester at the 40, 30, 20, 10, touchdown! is offline
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by payton3434 View Post

Did Ominyale do a better job than Williams?
No penalties or sacks so better statistically.

Was worried about this game after the first couple of drives but after a few tweaks we looked pretty good. Loving the D though there were some open holes for teams to pass against us.
Old 20.09.2010, 04:45 PM
All Pro

whoop whoop great win...Jay and co on fire after some good pressure,D was ok apart from 3rd down plays....bring on the cheeseheads..
Old 20.09.2010, 07:08 PM
Team Captain

lets hope that its not an anti climax next week