Formula One thread (2013 season onwards) - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 17.03.2013, 01:43 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainKings06 View Post
nice to see a different team challenging the RB/Mc/Ferrari dominance.

McLaren look well off the pace and its a concern really. We all knew there would be teething problems given the different set up they went for in the build with even Martin Whitmarsh admitting they did not yet understand the car. Still decent for them to even get a couple of points and Perez nearly made it into the top 10 too. Hoping its similar to the Ferrari situation in 2012 where the car was not fast at all yet it still picked up points and improved over the course of the year but we will see I guess.

Well done to Lewis with 5th place and would have been joined in the points by Rosberg had he not retired. Paul Di Resta and Adrian Sutil drove pretty decent races and Max Chilton did well to finish 17th - and had it not been for a lengthy pit stop early on, would probably have joined his team mate Bianchi in finishing above Charles Pic.
Old 17.03.2013, 04:45 PM
All Pro

I think Mclaren messed up Perez on his qualifying by sending him out on dry tires before anyone else other wise he could of had a handle of points. Disappointing overall by Mclaren to just pick up 2 points from the first race but hopefully it gets better from here on.

Great to see Kimi win a race again and hopefully the car can be consistently quick this season to give him a chance of more wins although Grosjean was very quiet throughout the race so clearly he didnt feel comfortable with the setup of the car.

Amazed that we didnt see a first corner pile up like we normally do but it did make for a very clean race and as it has been pointed out that there was a lot of hard but fair and clean racing going on between the drivers which was nice to see.
Old 17.03.2013, 05:50 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Steeler View Post
I think Mclaren messed up Perez on his qualifying by sending him out on dry tires before anyone else other wise he could of had a handle of points. Disappointing overall by Mclaren to just pick up 2 points from the first race but hopefully it gets better from here on.

Great to see Kimi win a race again and hopefully the car can be consistently quick this season to give him a chance of more wins although Grosjean was very quiet throughout the race so clearly he didnt feel comfortable with the setup of the car.

Amazed that we didnt see a first corner pile up like we normally do but it did make for a very clean race and as it has been pointed out that there was a lot of hard but fair and clean racing going on between the drivers which was nice to see.
Yeah I agree it was a mistake to send Perez onto the slicks, and then change for another pair - apparently because he thought he had a puncture. Button realized it wasn't working and changed it, but having said that Perez finished 11th and was only 500ths of a second off a point - which given McLaren's current predicament would have been an excellent result to have both drivers in the points.

The circuit in Sepang throws up yet more questions in a more humid environment on what is a purpose built track. McLaren aren't looking too good but hopefully its like Ferrari in 2012 - off the pace etc but able to consistently pick up points and stay in contention. Hopefully by the time they work out the car and make the changes to make it more competitive they can start competing up the top like Alonso did last year towards the middle of the season.

Who knows, but my guess is McLaren are not where they would like to be until at least race 3 or 4 at the earliest, because as Button put it, its a short turnaround before they fly out to Malaysia and therefore its just analysis of data as opposed to any changes. They will get a good chance to look at the set-up etc in the two week break after the second race.
Old 17.03.2013, 07:13 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt NFL Fan View Post
Yeah I agree it was a mistake to send Perez onto the slicks, and then change for another pair - apparently because he thought he had a puncture. Button realized it wasn't working and changed it, but having said that Perez finished 11th and was only 500ths of a second off a point - which given McLaren's current predicament would have been an excellent result to have both drivers in the points.

The circuit in Sepang throws up yet more questions in a more humid environment on what is a purpose built track. McLaren aren't looking too good but hopefully its like Ferrari in 2012 - off the pace etc but able to consistently pick up points and stay in contention. Hopefully by the time they work out the car and make the changes to make it more competitive they can start competing up the top like Alonso did last year towards the middle of the season.

Who knows, but my guess is McLaren are not where they would like to be until at least race 3 or 4 at the earliest, because as Button put it, its a short turnaround before they fly out to Malaysia and therefore its just analysis of data as opposed to any changes. They will get a good chance to look at the set-up etc in the two week break after the second race.
Im not sure why Mclaren have changed the car so much, it was quick at the end of last season and capable of challenging for podiums and in Hamiltons hands possibly wins so why mess with it, i wonder if it has to do with Button and Perez no being at the same level as Hamilton and therefore looking to mould the car around being more stable but i dont know.

Perez performance was that impressive really he only qualified 15th and finished 11th and that was with Rosberg,Ricciardo,Hulkenburg all dropping out of the race of those that qualified above him he actually only finished above one person that out qualified him which was Vergne in the Toro Rosso and they showed they were only quick in the wet and much slower in the dry.

I agree with the turnaround making improvements difficult and i would also add in the Chinese GP as another one that makes any improvements or upgrades difficult.
Old 17.03.2013, 08:19 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Steeler View Post
Im not sure why Mclaren have changed the car so much, it was quick at the end of last season and capable of challenging for podiums and in Hamiltons hands possibly wins so why mess with it, i wonder if it has to do with Button and Perez no being at the same level as Hamilton and therefore looking to mould the car around being more stable but i dont know.

Perez performance was that impressive really he only qualified 15th and finished 11th and that was with Rosberg,Ricciardo,Hulkenburg all dropping out of the race of those that qualified above him he actually only finished above one person that out qualified him which was Vergne in the Toro Rosso and they showed they were only quick in the wet and much slower in the dry.

I agree with the turnaround making improvements difficult and i would also add in the Chinese GP as another one that makes any improvements or upgrades difficult.
They just have to consistently score points for now at least. Interesting point you raise about why the car has changed so much. It was good last season and probably capable of winning the drivers championship - it just had reliability issues - so maybe that came into their thinking. Im just hopeful it will get better At least Red Bull didn't win, it was nice to see someone else up at the top step. Kimi made the two stopper work when no one else could manage it. Moving on to Malaysia I wonder if we will get rain like we did last year
Old 18.03.2013, 03:41 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt NFL Fan View Post
They just have to consistently score points for now at least. Interesting point you raise about why the car has changed so much. It was good last season and probably capable of winning the drivers championship - it just had reliability issues - so maybe that came into their thinking. Im just hopeful it will get better At least Red Bull didn't win, it was nice to see someone else up at the top step. Kimi made the two stopper work when no one else could manage it. Moving on to Malaysia I wonder if we will get rain like we did last year
Im in favour of Bernie Ecclestones idea of having sprinklers installed on all race tracks to spice things up.
Old 18.03.2013, 04:47 PM
MVP

Good opening race, early indications suggest to me that it will be Alonso v Vettel again this year. Kimi drove a remarkable race but Im not sure the Lotus appeared to have the pace of the Red Bull or Ferrari, just good strategy and tyre maintainence.

Once the season gets going we will know the pecking order a bit better of course. Looked to me like this was how the cars were looking.

1. Red Bull
2. Ferrari

3. Lotus
4. Mercedes

5. Force India
6. McLaren (I expect them to move up level with Lotus at some point)
7. Sauber

8. Torro Rosso
9. Williams

10. Marussia
11. Caterham

These are the early pace divisions for me, different tracks will suit different cars and development will obviously change matters, but McLaren aside I think this is how it will look all season. With different races seeing different teams excelling but on the whole thats how I saw it in Australia.

Long way to go mind you, could easily be a huge change next week now the teams have competitve data to work with.
Old 18.03.2013, 04:55 PM
All Pro

Alonso will take some beating this season if the car stays on the same level with other teams throught out the year

and if those starts are going to be the same every race then qualifying just a tad behind the top positions may not be a huge problem

i remember those Renault starts from just under a decade or go or so ..... especially one race where i think Alonso and Giancarlo went from 9-12 too 1-3rd or something like that by the first corner

ahhhh i love f1
Old 18.03.2013, 05:50 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1b View Post
Good opening race, early indications suggest to me that it will be Alonso v Vettel again this year. Kimi drove a remarkable race but Im not sure the Lotus appeared to have the pace of the Red Bull or Ferrari, just good strategy and tyre maintainence.

Once the season gets going we will know the pecking order a bit better of course. Looked to me like this was how the cars were looking.

1. Red Bull
2. Ferrari

3. Lotus
4. Mercedes

5. Force India
6. McLaren (I expect them to move up level with Lotus at some point)
7. Sauber

8. Torro Rosso
9. Williams

10. Marussia
11. Caterham

These are the early pace divisions for me, different tracks will suit different cars and development will obviously change matters, but McLaren aside I think this is how it will look all season. With different races seeing different teams excelling but on the whole thats how I saw it in Australia.

Long way to go mind you, could easily be a huge change next week now the teams have competitve data to work with.
For me the Red Bull didnt have the pace in Melbourne, Toro Rosso had a nice weekend and Vergne almost scored some points, while Ricciardo was in a decent spot before his retirement. We all know we haven't seen the best of McLaren but how long we have to wait is anyone's guess. Personally it was nice to see Massa up there again after a couple of disappointing seasons.
Old 18.03.2013, 05:52 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1b View Post
could easily be a huge change next week now the teams have competitve data to work with.
Good point, but the turnaround between Australia and Malaysia is very small. Four days between the end of the GP at Albert Park and start of FP1 in Sepang. Do they really have that long to analyse things in great depth?