London 2017 games - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 13.12.2016, 01:56 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1971 View Post
This year the designated pubs were in London proper.

Underwhelming matchups for 2017 and disappointed to have to trek to Twickenham again for the Rams, would much prefer the game be at Wembley. Think we got the short straw there.
You get to see your team two years running. Don't think you've pulled the short straw at all.
Old 13.12.2016, 01:57 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1971 View Post
This year the designated pubs were in London proper.

Underwhelming matchups for 2017 and disappointed to have to trek to Twickenham again for the Rams, would much prefer the game be at Wembley. Think we got the short straw there.
You think you got the short straw? I think at least 80% of NFL fans in Europe have got the short straw.
Old 13.12.2016, 01:59 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanE153 View Post
I know they designated pubs for the jags and colts, did they do the same for giants and rams when they played at Twickenham but the pubs were in London proper?
Yes, the Saturday "Team Pubs" were announced on here at the time. Giants did their US radio show from The Finery - there were long queues to get in at peak time though.

( https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?p=2299297 )

Last edited by BigTone; 13.12.2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 13.12.2016, 02:13 PM
Rookie

Like has been said if you support one of the 8 teams then you are happy but I cannot help but feel the powerhouse teams Pats/Cowboys/Packers/Seahawks not being in the mix is a let down - then again if you compete year in year out why would you come and play in London and potentially mess around with your schedule no doubt while some may see it as an adventure its a trip which causes headaches for teams - without any disrespect to the teams involved it would be like the Premier League sending Swansea vs Hull over to play a game in the States - people would want to see Chelsea/Spurs/Arsenal/Liverpool/Man City or Man Utd.

I know the Dolphins are popular over here but they have not been relevant as a playoff team since 2008!!!

Interesting reading the comments on NFL.COM

"sending any team is bad enough ... but sending hot garbage is even worse. PLEASE FFS STOP THIS LONDON BS SEND NO ONE"

"Is this a joke ? Are these really the match ups the league is sending across the pond? 1 of the 8 teams might make the play offs this year . If the league is going to send the bottom of the barrell they might as well further expand the series to 5 games and send the Rams and 49 ers"

"If you're trying to build the NFL brand overseas then why on earth would you send the Rams, Browns, and Jags? People don't want that crap. They want to see relevant teams like Dallas, New England, Pittsburgh, etc. At the very least send a watchable team like Atlanta."

"they probably dont wanna ruin the season for good teams lol"

"It's almost impressive that they've managed to find THIS many teams that I've zero interest in watching because they either suck or seen them before. Already seen Rams, Jags (six billion times), Dolphins (twice), Saints, Vikings, Ravens."

So looks like I am not alone in thinking we are being given a very raw deal on the teams they have sent over!!
Old 13.12.2016, 02:26 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafctexan View Post
You get to see your team two years running. Don't think you've pulled the short straw at all.
While i don't disagree with your point overall, I think he's speaking relatively. As a Ravens fan I'm delighted theyre coming over, but also relieved it's at Wembley. I know loads of Ravens fans who will be travelling over and Twickenham is simply an inferior experience.
Old 13.12.2016, 02:27 PM
Team Captain

was hoping for games later on in the season.Can only make game 4 will see nearer the time if its worth spending the money .The matchups are ok and no doubt they will all sell out.I think ironically as people become bigger fans and have been to a few games ,they are less interested in seeing neutral match up especially if your team has come over but we are not completely at saturation point yet.This my view anyway.
Old 13.12.2016, 02:32 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTone View Post
Yes, the Saturday "Team Pubs" were announced on here at the time. Giants did their US radio show from The Finery - there were long queues to get in at peak time though.

( https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?p=2299297 )
Thanks, they used the finery and the green man for the other games too so I guess it will be the same next year.
Old 13.12.2016, 02:39 PM
Team Captain

I think some people are way too harsh on the games, a lot can change between now and then - and I think the comparisons to Premier league games and teams like Hull, Sunderland and Swansea are very wrong.

Teams outside the big clubs in the league don't have any star names due to how football is compared to NFL with the salary cap and the draft.

Looking at the teams coming over you will potentially get to see swansongs for 4 HOFers (Fitz, AP, Smith Jr and Brees), you've got big up and coming stars like Gurley, Donald, Ramsey, Barr, and David Johnson, big earning players like Suh, Malik Jackson, and Joe Thomas and an interesting range of QBs- could be 5 top 2 picks by time it comes around (Goff, Bradford, Griffin/draft pick, Palmer and if Jags move on from Bortles)

You just don't get that breadth of star power and individual quality in other sports - yes some games are bad, but it's live sport. If you want guarantees of quality go to the theatre or cinema where it is scripted.
Old 13.12.2016, 02:56 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafctexan View Post
Don't get me wrong I'm totally RAMMED for the game but only wish it was at Wembley at is much easier to get to from the North of England.

Once they announce the actual date and kick off time I'll be organising a meet up with fellow UK based Rams fans, I'm thinking that the telephone box we used this year might be too small though - maybe we could book two next to each other ?
Old 13.12.2016, 02:58 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyshaps View Post
While i don't disagree with your point overall, I think he's speaking relatively. As a Ravens fan I'm delighted theyre coming over, but also relieved it's at Wembley. I know loads of Ravens fans who will be travelling over and Twickenham is simply an inferior experience.
Agreed on rating the stadiums