Rams not coming this year? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.01.2018, 10:59 PM
wiganger1's Avatar
wiganger1 wiganger1 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: 04.11.2012
Posts: 9
Default Rams not coming this year?

Being reported that Rams have asked for Mexico City this year.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04.01.2018, 11:51 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,299
Default

Should add that this is being reported by ESPN and the LA Times - fairly reliable publications. Certainly better than a bloke knocking up a diagram on Facebook.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/l...103-story.html
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05.01.2018, 05:36 AM
boknows34's Avatar
boknows34 boknows34 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 03.03.2006
Posts: 15,471
Default

With the exception of the Jaguars it looks like everyone has been asking for Mexico City this year.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05.01.2018, 02:08 PM
TartanJag's Avatar
TartanJag TartanJag is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 10.08.2014
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
With the exception of the Jaguars it looks like everyone has been asking for Mexico City this year.
yes it seems so, and i can understand it, but certainly dont think it is a knock on UK based fans at all. it is a different, distinct approach by NFL to address domestic saturation issues limiting growth.

the two sites hold appeal in two different ways. London, primarily, is about attracting multiple blue chip sponsors/partners, generating genuinely new fans in uk and, of course, milking as much/more out of the (largely affluent therefore appealing) existing fan base in uk that has always been here, well before IS.
Mexico, from all sources i have read or spoken to, is primarily about appealing to US based latin market, which, proportionally vs other ethnic groups in US, is not as fussed on football (baseball and Soccer lead). in places like LA and texas, the Latin populations are proportionally larger so i am not surprised at all at the appeal to teams based there to become perceived mexico's team.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05.01.2018, 07:36 PM
Tiger1971's Avatar
Tiger1971 Tiger1971 is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 21.01.2012
Posts: 96
Default

Kevin Demoff (Rams COO) confirmed that The Rams would be in Mexico in 2018 rather than London. He was asked the direct question at the Barrowboy and Banker on the night before the game at Twickenham last year.

Chiefs @ Rams is the latest rumour I've just heard.

#hornsup
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05.01.2018, 07:39 PM
Tiger1971's Avatar
Tiger1971 Tiger1971 is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 21.01.2012
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TartanJag View Post
yes it seems so, and i can understand it, but certainly dont think it is a knock on UK based fans at all. it is a different, distinct approach by NFL to address domestic saturation issues limiting growth.

the two sites hold appeal in two different ways. London, primarily, is about attracting multiple blue chip sponsors/partners, generating genuinely new fans in uk and, of course, milking as much/more out of the (largely affluent therefore appealing) existing fan base in uk that has always been here, well before IS.
Mexico, from all sources i have read or spoken to, is primarily about appealing to US based latin market, which, proportionally vs other ethnic groups in US, is not as fussed on football (baseball and Soccer lead). in places like LA and texas, the Latin populations are proportionally larger so i am not surprised at all at the appeal to teams based there to become perceived mexico's team.
Slightly disagree with this, So Cal fans for The Rams are largely hispanic and they are massively up for a roadtrip to Mexico City for the games.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05.01.2018, 10:41 PM
wiganger1's Avatar
wiganger1 wiganger1 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: 04.11.2012
Posts: 9
Default

Chiefs @ Rams in Mexico being rumoured. There are also rumours that 49ers have told the NFL that they don't want to do Hard Knocks and have agreed to take part in an International match to compensate.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05.01.2018, 11:06 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganger1 View Post
Chiefs @ Rams in Mexico being rumoured. There are also rumours that 49ers have told the NFL that they don't want to do Hard Knocks and have agreed to take part in an International match to compensate.
The 49ers certainly made clear they don't want to do Hard Knocks. I don't know about the rest.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06.01.2018, 12:00 AM
hallstar's Avatar
hallstar hallstar is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 18.10.2008
Posts: 910
Default

It makes sense that teams would rather give up their game to Mexico City than London, they can treat it as a normal road game in the Central time zone rather than crossing 5 to 8 time zones.

And I believe Jacksonville get a better deal than the other teams as a part of their long term agreement to play at Wembley.

The 49ers giving up a game could be the Super Bowl factor as well.

I wonder if Woody Johnson now living in London as the US ambassador means the Jets will play a home game here.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06.01.2018, 12:51 AM
TartanJag's Avatar
TartanJag TartanJag is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 10.08.2014
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1971 View Post
Slightly disagree with this, So Cal fans for The Rams are largely hispanic and they are massively up for a roadtrip to Mexico City for the games.
I don't really think you are disagreeing, my point was Mexican Americans would be agreeable to games in Mexico, which seems to be what you are confirming?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 08:51 PM.