Teams and dates of the 2018 NFL London Games are due to be released January - Page 6 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 05.01.2018, 01:27 PM
Starter

You don't want to see a team that has legitimate stars including:

JJ Watt
DeAndre Hopkins
Deshaun Watson
Jadeveon Clowney

versus a playoff team with the best defense in the league?

Don't let past performance and reputation cloud your judgement. If everyone is healthy this would be a great matchup.
Old 05.01.2018, 01:42 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian182 View Post
You don't want to see a team that has legitimate stars including:

JJ Watt
DeAndre Hopkins
Deshaun Watson
Jadeveon Clowney

versus a playoff team with the best defense in the league?

Don't let past performance and reputation cloud your judgement. If everyone is healthy this would be a great matchup.
I'm a Jags fan, I'm happy whoever the game is against. We know the Texans as well as any other team is going to in the league

The UK on the other has hardly embraced the Texans even with your nicest tinted specs on though (for good or for bad).
We know from other threads that big teams are what people want, again for good or for bad...
Old 05.01.2018, 01:49 PM
Starter

People should be happy we get anything at all. The moaning and general air of entitlement on these forums is ridiculous.
Old 05.01.2018, 03:18 PM
Starter

For me, with these London games, the most important thing is watching TALENT, I don't care about History or "big teams". The Texans aren't a "big team", but they sure as hell have TALENT. Houston has 4 legit superstars. Would love to see them come over. Same goes for the LA Rams, Minnesota Vikings, Kansas City Chiefs... you don't have to be a big team.

What I disagree with is when teams with a serious lack of talent come to London, you can play the "be grateful we are even having games in London" card, but that doesn't mean one can't express their opinion. For me teams lacking talent coming over is a joke, plain and simple. Unless you support one of those clubs, why would you pay money to watch dross?
Old 05.01.2018, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Jags v Texans would be a great matchup. I'd certainly prefer to watch that game than Bears v Redskins.

Mohamed makes a good point. Put me in the talent over history category.
Old 05.01.2018, 05:27 PM
All Pro

It's impossible to accurately judge a game until the following season starts. No one knows in January how a team will be like post the draft, post FA, post coaching changed.
Old 05.01.2018, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
It's impossible to accurately judge a game until the following season starts. No one knows in January how a team will be like post the draft, post FA, post coaching changed.
And post injuries. The Texans weren't the same without Watt and Watson.
Old 05.01.2018, 08:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilGroom View Post
Not been two west coast as such, but Ram/Cards last year is near enough to be to western side of the country
Both 8 hours behind London anyway (or at least they were when the game took place - Arizona is the one state that does not observe daylight savings time, at least not in the major conurbations).
Old 05.01.2018, 08:29 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohamed7 View Post
For me, with these London games, the most important thing is watching TALENT, I don't care about History or "big teams". The Texans aren't a "big team", but they sure as hell have TALENT. Houston has 4 legit superstars. Would love to see them come over. Same goes for the LA Rams, Minnesota Vikings, Kansas City Chiefs... you don't have to be a big team.

What I disagree with is when teams with a serious lack of talent come to London, you can play the "be grateful we are even having games in London" card, but that doesn't mean one can't express their opinion. For me teams lacking talent coming over is a joke, plain and simple. Unless you support one of those clubs, why would you pay money to watch dross?

Whilst the Rams have been in the doldrums for a long while, and yeah that hurts, but to say we are not a big team is a bit off the mark.

Rams are the 8th oldest Franchise in the NFL and have won Titles in all the cities they have played in (Cleveland, LA and St Louis).

The first team to have icons / logos on their helmets.

The infamous Ram It video

The original Hollywood mixing of film and sports stars

The team has had it all and will (hopefully) bring back those past glories.

Greatest Show on Surf
Old 05.01.2018, 08:58 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilGroom View Post
I'm a Jags fan, I'm happy whoever the game is against. We know the Texans as well as any other team is going to in the league

The UK on the other has hardly embraced the Texans even with your nicest tinted specs on though (for good or for bad).
We know from other threads that big teams are what people want, again for good or for bad...
You are correct. The Texans have some good players but they are not a team that many people follow. In fact they are most definitely in the bottom 5 I would say for the UK fan base. Which I don't hold against them, it's just that they were the last to the party (2002) and for years didn't make the playoffs, and have never made the Super Bowl. Super Bowls won from the 80s onwards will get you fans in this country, as a rule.

Kind of sums up how poor certain divisional rivalries are too when they move the games over here. I'll give half a pass to Jets-Dolphins maybe. But as a general rule if it's a heated rivalry they ain't bringing it over here. We are not getting Packers-Bears, Cowboys-Eagles, Steelers-Ravens, Broncos-Chiefs or Jets-Patriots. Kind of tells you that the teams themselves and their home fanbases aren't massively into Colts-Jags, or Rams-Cardinals. I think Jags-Texans would fit into the same category.

Speaking of which, I'm slightly more confident that the Steelers might come over now. We have road games at the Jags and Raiders next season. Jags have a few potential games including the Steelers that could be chosen but I think the Eagles are perhaps the favourite. But the Raiders definitely won't give up any of their divisional home games (these are rivalries people care about even if there is no playoff spot up for grabs!). That leaves the Rams (in Mexico), Colts (hmmm), Browns (unlikely 2 years running in the circumstances), Seahawks and Steelers. You'd think it has to be one of the latter two. I'd still make the Seahawks favourites for two reasons: one, two west coast teams, the Raiders might think it is less of a disadvantage than playing a team who had to travel few miles and timezones to get to London; and two the Seahawks have not been before.

I'm not in the "be grateful you get anything" brigade. But equally I can't be too demanding of the Steelers coming over here because they will not give up a home game themselves. If your team won't step up you can't really expect to see them in London. So for me when people say "we haven't seen the Packers/Seahawks etc yet" there is only limited sympathy. The Jags fans, Raiders fans, Dolphins fans etc deserve it more as their teams come forward and host home games, and multiple times as well. Only 12 teams by my count have given up a home game. There have been 21 games. So there is a lot of repetition in home teams.

Last edited by European Bob; 06.01.2018 at 03:09 PM.