Radio 5-Richard Bacon, Dear oh Dear - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Old 24.01.2011, 09:50 PM
Banned

Default Radio 5-Richard Bacon, Dear oh Dear

Anyone listen to this guy? I used to download Simon Mayos show but despite being interested in some of the guests, Bacon just irritates me. The first time i heard him broadcast was when Michael Jackson died and he was busy telling us how this was "our generations JFK moment". No it wasnt you cringingly embarssing t*t, but recently i decided to give his podcast a try and hes just as ignorant and annoying. He adopts this all-knowing tone (i guess you have to as a national broadcaster even if you dont know sh*t) despite being ignorant of almost everything that comes up. He usually gets away with it for a time due i would think to good research but then when as recently with Andrew Neil, a guest stumbles on a fact or a name from history, the guy goes silent and is totally incapable of helping them out. Neil couldnt remember the name of Brian Glanville, a renowned sports journalist from the past and despite anyone with a basic knowledge of journalism history no doubt shouting it at the radio/pod, Bacon was just dumbfounded despite it being his very profession and Radio 5 being the national sports station. It really amazes me that someone so mediocre, so fundamentally ignorant of his own profession and its history can get to that sort of status when you would think only 0.01% of the very creme de la creme would even get to the final countdown for a post like that. Anyway, rant over, wont listen until Radio 5 employs someone with an iota of knowledge and gravitas in that slot.

Last edited by DB79; 24.01.2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 24.01.2011, 10:27 PM
GOAT

Brian Glanville???

have to say I have no idea who this is. . not sure I care. . .but I guess if it was my job then it would maybe be a shocker. . could it be a generation thing?
Old 24.01.2011, 11:07 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg View Post
Brian Glanville???

have to say I have no idea who this is. . not sure I care. . .but I guess if it was my job then it would maybe be a shocker. . could it be a generation thing?
He's an awful radio 5 dj who dislikes American Football if my memory serves me right.
Old 24.01.2011, 11:20 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB79 View Post
Anyone listen to this guy? I used to download Simon Mayos show but despite being interested in some of the guests, Bacon just irritates me. The first time i heard him broadcast was when Michael Jackson died and he was busy telling us how this was "our generations JFK moment". No it wasnt you cringingly embarssing t*t, but recently i decided to give his podcast a try and hes just as ignorant and annoying. He adopts this all-knowing tone (i guess you have to as a national broadcaster even if you dont know sh*t) despite being ignorant of almost everything that comes up. He usually gets away with it for a time due i would think to good research but then when as recently with Andrew Neil, a guest stumbles on a fact or a name from history, the guy goes silent and is totally incapable of helping them out. Neil couldnt remember the name of Brian Glanville, a renowned sports journalist from the past and despite anyone with a basic knowledge of journalism history no doubt shouting it at the radio/pod, Bacon was just dumbfounded despite it being his very profession and Radio 5 being the national sports station. It really amazes me that someone so mediocre, so fundamentally ignorant of his own profession and its history can get to that sort of status when you would think only 0.01% of the very creme de la creme would even get to the final countdown for a post like that. Anyway, rant over, wont listen until Radio 5 employs someone with an iota of knowledge and gravitas in that slot.
A) BBC Radio 5 isnt a sports station. Its simply a general talk radio station.

B) Richard Bacon is the best radio personality on the airwaves, and thats reflected by the amount of listeners he has.
Old 24.01.2011, 11:23 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Dixon View Post
He's an awful radio 5 dj who dislikes American Football if my memory serves me right.
correct!

Rather than having someone who has a passion for the game they bring out a name to try and bring the masses to listen to the game.

A lot of people cant think for themselves so I actually think the Beeb maybe making a good move but for the wrong reasons.
Old 25.01.2011, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by towen5 View Post

B) Richard Bacon is the best radio personality on the airwaves, and thats reflected by the amount of listeners he has.
Wouldn't go as far as to say he's the best radio personality, but he's by no means as poor as the OP points out in his rage dump.

I actually much preferred him in his original spot at 10pm when he first started on the channel. Had a fair few appearances on that show myself under my false name giving me a chance to air my real views on my profession
Old 25.01.2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:

Its the national sports station on the state broadcaster. If you think Bacon is the "best personality" on the airwaves then im glad ive never listened to alot of radio. A trained monkey would probably get respectable numbers of listeners if it was put on a station of the size of Radio 5. Maybe its just the times iv tuned into him, he`s always done something to annoy me like show startling ignorance of his subject matter. But really, im in his "generation" albeit a few years younger and i cant believe i was the only one utterly embarrassed by him when he claimed on-air that Michael Jacksons death was our "Kennedy moment". Get lost you clueless, vacuous tw*t.
Old 25.01.2011, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Its the national sports station on the state broadcaster. If you think Bacon is the "best personality" on the airwaves then im glad ive never listened to alot of radio. A trained monkey would probably get respectable numbers of listeners if it was put on a station of the size of Radio 5. Maybe its just the times iv tuned into him, he`s always done something to annoy me like show startling ignorance of his subject matter. But really, im in his "generation" albeit a few years younger and i cant believe i was the only one utterly embarrassed by him when he claimed on-air that Michael Jacksons death was our "Kennedy moment". Get lost you clueless, vacuous tw*t.
Raaaggeeee Dump!!!
Old 25.01.2011, 12:44 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Whilst I agree Jacksons death was NOT our Kennedy moment. I guess he is trying to convey the gravity of it to listeners. . to some it may well have felt that way . to others our kennedy moment may well be Princess Diana for some Mother Theresa, and so on. . if that is his take on it fair enough but personally i dont see it. .
Old 25.01.2011, 01:28 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by towen5 View Post
Richard Bacon is the best radio personality on the airwaves, and thats reflected by the amount of listeners he has.
Number of listeners rarely indicates the quality of the show. Often it's the most controversial personality, on the most popular topics. People will tune in to hear what they can hate. Alan Green probably gets a lot of listeners, doesn't make him any less of a stain on the planet.