2019 season (continuing to update) - Page 108 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

  #1071  
Old 10.04.2019, 07:46 PM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Posts: 18,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyF87 View Post
As the 15th of April draws nearer, there's still no sign of a new deal for Russ.

i'm seeing (and not believing) more noise on twitter about us trading him, i for one know this wont happen it's just the way of the world with endless clickbait nonsense.

Hypothetically speaking though, what sort of Draft capital would you have to give up for him? i'm thinking at least 3 1st round picks.
I think a team like the Chargers, if Philip Rivers retired after the season, could give up 1st round picks in 2020 and 2021 for Wilson. Their roster and cap situation is one of the better fits imo. The Seahawks could possibly get extra picks on top of that, a mid round 2020 pick and a conditional 2021 3rd that becomes a 2nd if the Chargers/Wilson hit certain targets perhaps.

I think that would be the floor of any deal for Wilson. 2 1sts, and then some conditional picks on top. The main cost of the Khalil Mack trade was #24 in 2019, a 3rd in 2020, and a big contract. It would have to top that.
Reply With Quote
  #1072  
Old 10.04.2019, 08:22 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 10,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I think a team like the Chargers, if Philip Rivers retired after the season, could give up 1st round picks in 2020 and 2021 for Wilson. Their roster and cap situation is one of the better fits imo. The Seahawks could possibly get extra picks on top of that, a mid round 2020 pick and a conditional 2021 3rd that becomes a 2nd if the Chargers/Wilson hit certain targets perhaps.

I think that would be the floor of any deal for Wilson. 2 1sts, and then some conditional picks on top. The main cost of the Khalil Mack trade was #24 in 2019, a 3rd in 2020, and a big contract. It would have to top that.
but why would a team be prepared to pay full market value for Wilson when after this season he is no longer under contract so the player can control if/when he signs his tag.after all the Seahawks cant trade him until he signed so he can have a great say in where he could be traded too.

we saw how the Steelers lost control of the Bell situation and will end up getting only a 3rd round pick for a player and the Seahawks will be looking at possibly $30m then $35m then maybe $40m+ to play tag with Wilson which are massive cap numbers to manage while trying to pay others.

reports that Wilson may want to tie his new contract to the increase in cap each year as any long term deal could cover the new CBA/new TV contracts and as mentioned somewhere the league reaping money from the new gambling laws.
Reply With Quote
  #1073  
Old 11.04.2019, 01:08 AM
wayne ellis's Avatar
wayne ellis wayne ellis is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 31.10.2005
Posts: 23,572
Default

Giants’ WR Sterling Shepard is signing a 4 year extension worth $41m.
Reply With Quote
  #1074  
Old 11.04.2019, 08:02 PM
lee harris 10's Avatar
lee harris 10 lee harris 10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 05.09.2010
Posts: 10,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Giants’ WR Sterling Shepard is signing a 4 year extension worth $41m.
seems to be the going rate.$21.3m guaranteed.

reports Leonard Fournette arrested.....
Reply With Quote
  #1075  
Old 11.04.2019, 08:50 PM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Posts: 18,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
but why would a team be prepared to pay full market value for Wilson when after this season he is no longer under contract so the player can control if/when he signs his tag.after all the Seahawks cant trade him until he signed so he can have a great say in where he could be traded too.

we saw how the Steelers lost control of the Bell situation and will end up getting only a 3rd round pick for a player and the Seahawks will be looking at possibly $30m then $35m then maybe $40m+ to play tag with Wilson which are massive cap numbers to manage while trying to pay others.

reports that Wilson may want to tie his new contract to the increase in cap each year as any long term deal could cover the new CBA/new TV contracts and as mentioned somewhere the league reaping money from the new gambling laws.
It's all hypothetical of course, but I'd imagine a 31 year old Russell Wilson would have a bigger market than a 26/27 year old Le'veon Bell. Bell clearly didn't have the market he expected.

$65m for 2 years of Wilson wouldn't be astronomical really. Although, admittedly, it's the impact of having an unhappy camper that would worry the Seahawks.

An interest thought that the new CBA will start to impact contract negotiations. It might spur a few teams to make deals a little earlier than they otherwise would've done.
Reply With Quote
  #1076  
Old 11.04.2019, 08:51 PM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Posts: 18,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
seems to be the going rate.$21.3m guaranteed.

reports Leonard Fournette arrested.....
It's gone downhill quite quickly really. Tough to move on from the 4th overall pick though........
Reply With Quote
  #1077  
Old 12.04.2019, 01:09 AM
wayne ellis's Avatar
wayne ellis wayne ellis is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 31.10.2005
Posts: 23,572
Default

The Jets have signed RB Ty Montgomery on a 1 year deal.
Reply With Quote
  #1078  
Old 12.04.2019, 02:06 AM
boknows34's Avatar
boknows34 boknows34 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 03.03.2006
Posts: 15,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I think a team like the Chargers, if Philip Rivers retired after the season, could give up 1st round picks in 2020 and 2021 for Wilson. Their roster and cap situation is one of the better fits imo. The Seahawks could possibly get extra picks on top of that, a mid round 2020 pick and a conditional 2021 3rd that becomes a 2nd if the Chargers/Wilson hit certain targets perhaps.

I think that would be the floor of any deal for Wilson. 2 1sts, and then some conditional picks on top. The main cost of the Khalil Mack trade was #24 in 2019, a 3rd in 2020, and a big contract. It would have to top that.
I think Josh Rosen would be a good fit for the Chargers. He could sit behind Rivers for a year or two and he’s also familiar with LA having played at UCLA.
Reply With Quote
  #1079  
Old 12.04.2019, 12:54 PM
Crash11's Avatar
Crash11 Crash11 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 07.09.2006
Posts: 16,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
It's gone downhill quite quickly really. Tough to move on from the 4th overall pick though........
They wouldn’t be at any disadvantage

Jacksonville Jaguars, last two seasons:

With Leonard Fournette: 10-11, 22.6 points per game.

Without Leonard Fournette: 5-6, 22.5 points per game.
Reply With Quote
  #1080  
Old 13.04.2019, 08:14 AM
RichardCunliffe's Avatar
RichardCunliffe RichardCunliffe is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 13.09.2006
Posts: 18,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
I think Josh Rosen would be a good fit for the Chargers. He could sit behind Rivers for a year or two and he’s also familiar with LA having played at UCLA.
If Rivers tells them this is his last season then its a good fit all round. Probably costs them #28, but that's nothing for a shot at your future QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
They wouldn’t be at any disadvantage

Jacksonville Jaguars, last two seasons:

With Leonard Fournette: 10-11, 22.6 points per game.

Without Leonard Fournette: 5-6, 22.5 points per game.
Yeah, he's hardly been a difference maker. With improved QB play could he have more of an impact though? Then again, 3.7 yards per carry just isn't getting it done either way.

Adam Thielen just got paid I see. 4 years/$64m. $16m/year. Well deserved.

Amari Cooper's new deal is going to be knocking on the door of $100m+ at this rate (6 year deal).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 12:00 PM.