Xfl - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Sponsored Links

Old 25.01.2018, 08:20 PM
Starter

Default Xfl

Seeing as this is an NFL forum I don’t know if this will be allowed, but anyway Vince McMahon is starting the XFL up again in 2020.

What’s people’s thoughts? Competition good for the NFL? Will it even be competition?

I remember getting an XFL ball back in the day, will have to dig it out!
Sponsored Links
Old 25.01.2018, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Vince said in the press conference that the season would start in late January/early February. Really don't see it being a huge success, although at least they weren't daft enough to go head to head with the NFL. If they can get someone like Colin Kaepernick on board, it will help their cause.

Hearing rumours that the NFL may trade them the Cleveland Browns...
Old 25.01.2018, 08:47 PM
All Pro

I rate the chances of it being a success about as high as Manziel being the successor to Brady for the Patriots

Last edited by BuffaloG; 25.01.2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 25.01.2018, 09:21 PM
MVP

Predictable to see people seeing it will fail.

The XFL first time round had some awesome ideas and was actually quite close to being a success until a few disasters ruined momentum.

It also gave us some amazing “gimmicks” now embraced by the NFL....

I think everyone involved will have learnt from the first time out.

Fine line between gimmick and good idea and they had a fair few good ideas...

Might change me username name to he hate me in honour of the resurrection!

I thought Vince might have franchise in Mexico, Canada and London to beat NFL to the punch... I’d imagine logistically you don’t wanna start that spread out...

Good shout with Kap although the Redneck WWE watching masses probably won’t like that... they are still boycotting Nike
Old 25.01.2018, 09:30 PM
MVP

Let's give it a chance and see what happens. The omens are not great, however, as the UFL failed most recently, and Arena League teams seem to come and go like buses at a bus stop. Not competing with the NFL or college football time-wise is likely important. In fact they look to have picked a time of year when the other sports are also in a lull, NBA and NHL trundling along but not near the playoffs yet and MLB not underway.

I don't buy that you need the standard of play to be as good as the NFL (look how popular college is) but you do need names and a product that get people interested and keep them interested. That was where the XFL fell down last time and other pro leagues also struggled.

I heard a few years ago that some people were looking at a version of pro football that would try to take on college football rather than the NFL - an alternative to college with pro style offenses that young players could go to and play in before making the step up to the NFL. That might be a more sensible model.

They would need to do something different from the NFL, but not tacky things like they did last time. Vince Mcmahon mentioned increasing the pace of games - that's definitely something that could be a winner in these days of shorter attention spans. Think about the things that annoy you about the NFL and those are what they could do. Maybe stopping things like automatic reviews, where we all celebrate a touchdown and then sit and wait 2 mins for them to OK it and then we celebrate again, the moment somewhat passed, or we wind it back and pretend it didn't happen. That would also create talking points - human refs acting in the moment will create controversy. McMahon knows all about that, but simultaneously it will speed the game up.

Finally, they should be careful where they put teams. It is always tempting to put teams where players and the lifestyle is good: Florida, California etc. But actually if you look at pro football those places are often not where the keenest pro football fans live. Sometimes it is also a mistake to put teams where there is no NFL team and assume the fans will automatically lap it up. A few pro teams have tried and failed in football mad, but pro football deprived, Alabama, for example. You might be better in big cities that have shown they will turn out for pro sports of all descriptions repeatedly.
Old 25.01.2018, 09:35 PM
MVP

Given it starts in 2020 it won't be Kaepernick. He'll either be out of football for good or back in the NFL by then, surely. Unless he decides to go to Canada like Johnny Manziel wants to. Manziel would seemingly be barred from the XFL.
Old 25.01.2018, 09:42 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy View Post
It also gave us some amazing “gimmicks” now embraced by the NFL....
And the same would happen again. The NFL would sit and watch and take any ideas which work for themselves
Old 25.01.2018, 09:57 PM
MVP

I was looking just now at Camping World Stadium in Orlando on Wikipedia. The number of pro football teams launched and failed there is staggering!

Orlando Broncos (SFL; 1962–1963)
Orlando Panthers (CFL; 1966–1970)
Florida Blazers (WFL; 1974)
Orlando Americans (AFA; 1981)
Orlando Renegades (USFL; 1985)
Orlando Thunder (WLAF; 1991–1992)
Orlando Rage (XFL; 2001)
Florida Tuskers (UFL; 2009–2010)
Orlando Fantasy (LFL; 2011)
Old 25.01.2018, 10:08 PM
Pro

Teams to include...

Washington MAGAs
Tampa Troops
Nebraska Cow Tippers
Kentucky Fried Ballers
San Francisco Snowflakes
Cleveland Browns
Old 26.01.2018, 06:55 AM
MVP

If St. Louis gets a team they've got an instant fan in me. Don't care that it won't be as good as the NFL, I've happily watched NCAA Division III games before, and it should be some way above that.