2017 Offseason Thread - News, Free Agency, all that jazz - Page 12 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Sponsored Links

Old 28.02.2017, 07:13 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Eric Berry has signed a 6 year deal with the Chiefs worth $78m, with $40m guaranteed...
He'll 'only' be 34 in the final year of that deal, but I look forward to the day (won't happen) that we only hear the guaranteed amounts on these deals when they are made. He won't see the Base salary numbers in years 5 & 6 of this deal, so $78m is mainly there to pad the players/agents ego.

The other part to this is his year 1 number. Talk of tagging Poehler is premature unless they give Berry a minimal Base salary in year 1. That would push money down the line though. Throw in Houston's numbers and they might just create more problems than its worth.
Sponsored Links
Old 28.02.2017, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Jamaal Charles has been released by the Chiefs...
Old 28.02.2017, 07:31 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Jamaal Charles has been released by the Chiefs...
That should make a little room.

Wouldn't mind the Cowboys seeing how much he wants.
Old 28.02.2017, 08:02 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
That should make a little room.

Wouldn't mind the Cowboys seeing how much he wants.
the running backmarket is looking pretty deep at the moment.wonder if this forces the market down.Charles has been unlucky with injuries over the last 2 years but is he still a starter or someone who can be sold on playing 15-20 snaps a game.
Old 28.02.2017, 08:29 PM
All Pro

Little surprised the Pats haven't placed any sort of tag on Hightower - essentially giving him the same treatment they gave Devin McCourty two years back (ie. we'll make our offer, let you test the market and decide whether taking a couple million more a year is worth being in Cleveland or not)

I would've thought they might have placed the transition tag on him.

I would be shocked if Miami, Oakland, Cleveland didn't throw huge money at Hightower. I've said Miami from day one....

If he does leave, it will give the Pats more money and cap room for guys like Ryan, Harmon, Bennett, Branch, Sheard - and down the line Butler.
Old 28.02.2017, 08:55 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
Little surprised the Pats haven't placed any sort of tag on Hightower - essentially giving him the same treatment they gave Devin McCourty two years back (ie. we'll make our offer, let you test the market and decide whether taking a couple million more a year is worth being in Cleveland or not)

I would've thought they might have placed the transition tag on him.

I would be shocked if Miami, Oakland, Cleveland didn't throw huge money at Hightower. I've said Miami from day one....

If he does leave, it will give the Pats more money and cap room for guys like Ryan, Harmon, Bennett, Branch, Sheard - and down the line Butler.
guess the transition tag is not needed if GM Belichick has an interest to let the player test the market then see if the pats can get close enough to any big offer.McCourty from memory did get a bigger offer from the giants but still resigned when we found a few more million dollars.maybe add the Titans/Lions as possible landing spots with there ex-patriots GM's.starting to get a bit worried now.
Old 28.02.2017, 09:12 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
the Brown deal is megatron numbers which when you watch the Steelers and see his numbers is pretty fair but also means that one of the young receivers needs to step up(or stay out of the league's doghouse) as they wont have much room to add a good veteran #2 in free agency.

will be interesting to see if Bell gets a long term deal because if he plays for $12m this year the tag next year would be over $14m so any long term deal will surely need to start with over $30m in guarantee's at a time when teams aren't paying as much for that position.
Megatron played in the days of millions less in cap space and this isn't a megatron deal anyway. ESPN got Brown's base salary for 2017 wrong, worth mentioning: it will be $910,000 next season, not $4.71m, with a cap charge of $13.6m. Calvin Johnson's cap hit reached as high as $24m; Browns will not get above $19m (2019). By 2019 you would expect there to be significantly more cap space available than Johnson's highest year of 2016 (which in the end he didn't play as he retired).

The Steelers will not be looking for a no2 receiver in free agency. No need for that. A WR in the draft, perhaps. I would expect Alshon Jeffrey to get more than Brown in free agency.

As for Bell, the tag simply allows more time to get a deal done. I don't expect a deal to be done until summer, if at all. This also gives us some time to see if a guy who has got in trouble a bit in the past can stay out of trouble this offseason. As for the money and the idea that teams aren't paying as much for the position: I don't know. These things are cyclical. Teams weren't drafting RBs high for a while. Now they are again. Dallas took one at no4 last year. St Louis (as they were then) took one no10 the year before that. That would never have happened 3 years earlier. Elliot in particular has certainly been worth it so far hasn't he? If he's that good still at the end of his rookie deal, I expect he will get paid handsomely too. The lifespan of an NFL running back is shorter than most other positions, yes, but I think front office has realised that if you can get 6-8 years out of a top RB then that's better than taking someone in another position who is less good. I would question big 3rd contracts for running backs, but not big 2nd contracts at the moment.

Last edited by European Bob; 28.02.2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 28.02.2017, 09:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
He'll 'only' be 34 in the final year of that deal, but I look forward to the day (won't happen) that we only hear the guaranteed amounts on these deals when they are made. He won't see the Base salary numbers in years 5 & 6 of this deal, so $78m is mainly there to pad the players/agents ego.

The other part to this is his year 1 number. Talk of tagging Poehler is premature unless they give Berry a minimal Base salary in year 1. That would push money down the line though. Throw in Houston's numbers and they might just create more problems than its worth.

I honestly don't know why reputable journalists even bother reporting those numbers. They should stick to the guarantees. They almost never get that far into the deal one way or the other: restructure, new contract or just released.
Old 28.02.2017, 09:35 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
guess the transition tag is not needed if GM Belichick has an interest to let the player test the market then see if the pats can get close enough to any big offer.McCourty from memory did get a bigger offer from the giants but still resigned when we found a few more million dollars.maybe add the Titans/Lions as possible landing spots with there ex-patriots GM's.starting to get a bit worried now.
Sounds weird - because Hightower is a very good player, but I'm not hugely worried if he leaves. Pats will have done their evaluation, and have a price - if he goes they'll have a backup plan and can use the money elsewhere. Hightower does come with legitimate durability concerns (I know Rory disagreed with my opinion in the Pats section on this), and can struggle if asked to do too much in coverage. A great run defender and blitzer tho.

Also could get a long term deal done before he even hits the market anyways.
Old 28.02.2017, 09:51 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Megatron played in the days of millions less in cap space and this isn't a megatron deal anyway. ESPN got Brown's base salary for 2017 wrong, worth mentioning: it will be $910,000 next season, not $4.71m, with a cap charge of $13.6m. Calvin Johnson's cap hit reached as high as $24m; Browns will not get above $19m (2019). By 2019 you would expect there to be significantly more cap space available than Johnson's highest year of 2016 (which in the end he didn't play as he retired).
sorry was more bringing up megatron as two years back Bryant/DT got there 5 years $70m deals from Dallas/Denver when they where both franchised and that made $14-15 APY what seemed the top elite receiver market alongside AJ Green/Julio Jones but the Brown deal averages $17m which is up there with the Calvin Johnson APY from his 7 yrs $113m extension($16+m APY) which was signed in 2012 well before we saw the massive jump in the cap but nobody till now has seemed to get over the $15m average per year.

guessing now Hopkins in houston and at some point OBJ will now be seeing the $15m a year as below market value.when they finally get to sign a 2nd contract.