Advice for Brits visiting Jax - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Jacksonville Jaguars

Sponsored Links

Old 15.03.2016, 01:17 PM
Team Captain

Default Advice for Brits visiting Jax

Last year I was extremely fortunate to visit Jacksonville for 15 days and get to see a couple of Jaguars games. I thought my experience might be able to benefit others who want to make the trip so here are my thoughts and recommendations on visiting Jacksonville.

While it is possible to get around using a mix of public transport (JTA buses and rail), water taxi's and Uber (yes, Jacksonville is an Uber city but you will have to use mobile data on your phone for this which can be expensive depending on your provider) this is far from ideal. It will restrict where you can go and when and it is expensive. So my number one tip is to rent a car and either bring your own Sat Nav or if you don't have one add it on as a rental extra.

But isn't Car rental expensive? I don't think so. I rented a Fiat 500 from Alamo at Orlando International Airport for 15 days and paid £250, while in America i drove approx. 500 miles and spent $40 on fuel and £12 on road tolls. I brought my own Sat Nav from the UK (making sure it had US maps loaded onto it) and I think I saved money doing this rather than using the less convenient mix of public transport/water taxi's/Uber.

The biggest thing to understand about getting around the city of Jacksonville is that Interstate 295 is essentially a huge ring road that goes around the city (similar to the M25 for London). The other important thing to know is that Butler Boulevard, Beach Boulevard and Atlantic Boulevard are 3 roads that all run in parallel to each other going from the central Jacksonville out East to the Beaches. Butler goes to Ponte Vedra beach, Beach goes to Jacksonville beach and Atlantic goes to Atlantic beach. Understanding this makes it so much easier to get around.

You will want to spend some time in Downtown Jacksonville (where EverBank Field is) and there are a few good hotels here too that you might want to consider for your stay. The 3 hotels in this area I would recommend considering are:
  • Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront (on the North bank of the St. Johns river, right next to the Landing).
  • Omni Jacksonville (on the North bank of the St. Johns river, right next to the Landing).
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Jacksonville-Riverfront (on the South bank of the St. Johns river, right next to the Main Street bridge).

If you want to stay out by Jacksonville beach I can also recommend Casa Marina hotel which is right next to Jacksonville Beach Pier. I stayed here myself for one evening and can highly recommend it, especially the rooftop lounge\bar\restaurant. Top tip: on the Casa Marina hotel website they often advertise much better rates, look at these then give them a phone call (you can't book these special discounted rates online) and you should save some serious £££ on your booking here.

Other things to checkout in downtown Jacksonville:
  • Florida Theatre - historic theatre which has some top music and comedy acts visit.
  • Dos Gatos - A great bar directly opposite Florida theatre, highly recommend you have at least one drink in here.
  • Museum Of Contemporary Art - on North Laura Street featuring modern art and pieces from the University of North Florida.
  • Hemming Park - a 1.5 acre public park in the heart of the city, a good place to get some street food from the many food tucks here and eat outdoors by the park's water feature.
  • The landing - a few shops and place to eat on the riverfront.

Another tip is to take advantage of the fact that Jacksonville is right next to the Atlantic and as such fresh fish is plentiful, my top Jacksonville fish eateries are:
  • Clarke's fish camp.
  • Bone fish grill.
  • Jimmy Hula's on Atlantic Blv (has a great beach vibe feel going on, I recomend their fish tacos).

Jacksonville zoo in the North bit of the city is a good day out (You can even see the Jaguar called "Khan" here).

The historic town of St. Augustine is only 35 mins down the road from Jacksonville and well worth visiting. St. Augustine Alligator farm and Castillo de San Marcos (the oldest fort in America) are both well worth visiting here.
Sponsored Links
Old 15.03.2016, 01:47 PM
Starter

top tips Baron, cheers!

you thinking of going back in 2016?
Old 15.03.2016, 02:22 PM
Team Captain

Yes, it is my hope to do a similar trip (15 days, 2 Jaguars games) in 2016 but this depends on the shedule which if the NFL follow it's normal patern will be released on Thursday the 21st of April.
Old 15.03.2016, 04:15 PM
Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronSamedi1980 View Post
Yes, it is my hope to do a similar trip (15 days, 2 Jaguars games) in 2016 but this depends on the shedule which if the NFL follow it's normal patern will be released on Thursday the 21st of April.
im same, looking at 2 games in weeks 1-3 or 6-8 pending on fixtures, probably one everbank one away (bcb trip ideally)

then obviously home playoff game in January!
Old 15.03.2016, 05:09 PM
Team Captain

I don't think the will be 2 home games in weeks 1-3, if the were it would mean that going into week 6 the Jaguars would have played 3 home, 1 away and used up their bye. I think it's much more likely the will be 1 home and 2 away weeks 1-3.

The also won't be home games weeks 8, 9 & 17 due to EverBank being used for Florida vs Georgia, Notre Dame vs Navy & the TaxSlayer Bowl respectivly.

In addition to this we know our week 11 game won't be @ Texans, vs Texans or vs Raiders. This is because Texans play Raiders in Mexico week 11.

So we already know quite a lot.

11th Sept 2016 - Week 1 -
18th Sept 2016 - Week 2 -
25th Sept 2016 - Week 3
2nd Oct 2016 - Week 4 - Indianapolis Colts @ Jacksonville Jaguars (Wembley)
9th Oct 2016 - Week 5 - Jaguars bye week
16th Oct 2016 - Week 6 -
23rd Oct 2016 - Week 7 -
30th Oct 2016 - Week 8 - Florida vs Georgia (EverBank)
6th Nov 2016 - Week 9 - Notre Dame vs Navy (EverBank)
13th Nov 2016 - Week 10 -
20th Nov 2016 - Week 11 - Not vs Texans. Not @ Texans. Not vs Raiders. (Texans @ Raiders in Mexico)
27th Nov 2016 - Week 12 -
4th Dec 2016 - Week 13
11th Dec 2016 - Week 14
18th Dec 2016 - Week 15
25th Dec 2016 - Week 16
1st Jan 2017 - Week 17 - TaxSlayer Bowl (Everbank)

Home opponents:
Tennessee
Houston
Denver
Oakland
Green Bay
Minnesota
Baltimore

Away opponents (Road travel time - Road Travel distance):
Indianapolis (13h 8m - 880 miles)
Tennessee (Nashville) (8h 35m - 595 miles)
Houston (12h 24m - 871 miles)
Kansas City (16h 33m - 1146 miles)
San Diego
Chicago (15h 57m - 1061 miles)
Detroit (15h 16m - 1010 miles)
Buffalo (15h 18m - 1037 miles)

For an away game I sugest that only Tennessee (Nashville) is doable by road.
Old 25.03.2016, 11:30 PM
Pro

Quote:
Last year I was extremely fortunate to visit Jacksonville for 15 days and get to see a couple of Jaguars games. I thought my experience might be able to benefit others who want to make the trip so here are my thoughts and recommendations on visiting Jacksonville.

[edit]
Very great advice all of it and I say this as 30+ year resident. Some other spots to consider visiting include Riverside (museums and restaurant area), San Marco Square, Jax Beach, the St. Johns Town Center (our largest shopping complex on the southside which includes some night spots as well). Downtown, in addition to the Landing, the place to visit is called "the Elbow" (follow @TheElbowJax). Cheers!
Old 26.03.2016, 08:33 AM
Team Captain

Thanks for sharing all this, last time we were in Florida was before i'd settled on a team so never been to a game over there and being able to show the Mrs things to see and do around Jacksonville might help me persuade her we need to visit the state again (and soon).
Old 29.05.2017, 10:29 AM
Rookie

Quote:

While it is possible to get around using a mix of public transport (JTA buses and rail), water taxi's and Uber (yes, Jacksonville is an Uber city but you will have to use mobile data on your phone for this which can be expensive depending on your provider) this is far from ideal. It will restrict where you can go and when and it is expensive. So my number one tip is to rent a car and either bring your own Sat Nav or if you don't have one add it on as a rental extra.

But isn't Car rental expensive? I don't think so. I rented a Fiat 500 from Alamo at Orlando International Airport for 15 days and paid £250, while in America i drove approx. 500 miles and spent $40 on fuel and £12 on road tolls. I brought my own Sat Nav from the UK (making sure it had US maps loaded onto it) and I think I saved money doing this rather than using the less convenient mix of public transport/water taxi's/Uber.

The biggest thing to understand about getting around the city of Jacksonville is that Interstate 295 is essentially a huge ring road that goes around the city (similar to the M25 for London). The other important thing to know is that Butler Boulevard, Beach Boulevard and Atlantic Boulevard are 3 roads that all run in parallel to each other going from the central Jacksonville out East to the Beaches. Butler goes to Ponte Vedra beach, Beach goes to Jacksonville beach and Atlantic goes to Atlantic beach. Understanding this makes it so much easier to get around.

You will want to spend some time in Downtown Jacksonville (where EverBank Field is) and there are a few good hotels here too that you might want to consider for your stay. The 3 hotels in this area I would recommend considering are:
  • Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront (on the North bank of the St. Johns river, right next to the Landing).
  • Omni Jacksonville (on the North bank of the St. Johns river, right next to the Landing).
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Jacksonville-Riverfront (on the South bank of the St. Johns river, right next to the Main Street bridge).

If you want to stay out by Jacksonville beach I can also recommend Casa Marina hotel which is right next to Jacksonville Beach Pier. I stayed here myself for one evening and can highly recommend it, especially the rooftop lounge\bar\restaurant. Top tip: on the Casa Marina hotel website they often advertise much better rates, look at these then give them a phone call (you can't book these special discounted rates online) and you should save some serious £££ on your booking here.

Other things to checkout in downtown Jacksonville:
  • Florida Theatre - historic theatre which has some top music and comedy acts visit.
  • Dos Gatos - A great bar directly opposite Florida theatre, highly recommend you have at least one drink in here.
  • Museum Of Contemporary Art - on North Laura Street featuring modern art and pieces from the University of North Florida.
  • Hemming Park - a 1.5 acre public park in the heart of the city, a good place to get some street food from the many food tucks here and eat outdoors by the park's water feature.
  • The landing - a few shops and place to eat on the riverfront.

Another tip is to take advantage of the fact that Jacksonville is right next to the Atlantic and as such fresh fish is plentiful, my top Jacksonville fish eateries are:
  • Clarke's fish camp.
  • Bone fish grill.
  • Jimmy Hula's on Atlantic Blv (has a great beach vibe feel going on, I recomend their fish tacos).

Jacksonville zoo in the North bit of the city is a good day out (You can even see the Jaguar called "Khan" here).

The historic town of St. Augustine is only 35 mins down the road from Jacksonville and well worth visiting. St. Augustine Alligator farm and Castillo de San Marcos (the oldest fort in America) are both well worth visiting here.
Hi. Any advice for a Seahawks fan visiting the usa for the 1st time in December for the jags v hawks game. Is it safe to wear a Seahawks jersey, and how much should I expect to pay for beer and food etc
Old 07.06.2017, 08:30 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Hi. Any advice for a Seahawks fan visiting the usa for the 1st time in December for the jags v hawks game. Is it safe to wear a Seahawks jersey, and how much should I expect to pay for beer and food etc
Hi, there won't be any issue with the jersey pal. A group of us went in September and was a mix of Jags and GB fans all wearing our own teams jerseys. There will be many visiting team fans scattered about so don't think they will be covering theirs!

Can't remember exact costs but I do remember a bottle of water was $4. Soft drinks were about $8 and beer was about the same but it was too hot for us to be interested in that. Should be a lot cooler in Dec tho. Make sure you get to the stadium early too cos there's plenty happening around the ground, even for visiting fans. All the people we met were amazingly friendly so get about and speak to people, even the Jags fans and they'll probably even offer you a beer?!

Chances are the Seahawks will have a fan rally somewhere close by as well so I'd look into that.

Most of all tho, I hope you have a great time! Even when you lose