Farewell to the forum - Page 9 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Announcements > New on NFLUK.com

Old 09.07.2019, 01:10 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldenavn View Post
The programme takes a month off in the summer. Sky will still be showing it when it returns on July 29th..
cheers, didn't know that. i tuned out cos of everything NFLUK.

PFT is a ******* great show and i hope the *******s ******s ******s ***** at NFLUK don't have any influence in shutting it down too.
Old 09.07.2019, 02:48 PM
MVP

Quote:
They are not a charity. If the London office was not making them money they would close it down. And as incredibly dumb as I think the league have been with their web site, the vast majority of NFL fans here never used the forum. Not even at its height. Still dumb, but hardly some big turning point.
400,000 current members. Where are they all? They can't all be Mano's burner accounts...
Old 09.07.2019, 03:52 PM
Hall of Fame

So the NFLUK Forums has a one way ticket to Switzerland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualcomm View Post
It has been a platform for heated debate, humour and hard-hitting questions over many years, but the nfluk.com Forum will soon be logging off for the final time.

Reflecting the greater use by fans of our Facebook group to exchange views and seek information, the website Forum will cease to operate on July 26 .

s been a great friend to many of us for many years. It is time to give it a great send-off.
Old 09.07.2019, 05:49 PM
Hall of Fame

Out of curiosity, have the sign in issues that some have experienced been resolved?

A few of the old guard have returned for this thread who I haven't seen for a while.
Old 09.07.2019, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
400,000 current members. Where are they all? They can't all be Mano's burner accounts...
That is not just current members, though, but goes back many years. I have had several accounts since originally joining in 2005 because of all the problems the various sites and upgrades have had in that time. There is probably a lot of other people in the same position. And I would not be surprised if that count does not also include the many thousands of spambots that registered too.

Incidentally, I only joined back then in case forum membership counted for priority access to tickets for a potential game played here. Because London was the backup site for the 49ers at Cardinals if Mexico City fell through, it was inevitable to me that there would be one.

In the end it did not count at all, but anyone who did want to register their interest for tickets in those early days had to sign up to the site. So a lot of those 400,000 will also be people who signed up to the NFL UK site for a ticket code but never actually used the forum.

The more telling number for the forum's popularity is that the most accounts active at the same time was 4,564, just 1.1% of the total ever registered.

That was on the day before the 2012 season kicked off, when the league finally announced a deal with Sky. So a lot of fans had been panicking thinking there would be no TV coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Out of curiosity, have the sign in issues that some have experienced been resolved?
Not for me, it still says my login is invalid. And I never received anything when requesting a password reset.

But a little while back I discovered that if I hit reply on any post then the normal forum software's login page comes up, instead of the NFLUK's own login panel. And that one does let me login.

Although it does not not stay logged in, so it still makes the forum a nuisance to use that it is not normally worth the hassle.
Old 10.07.2019, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

A good chunk of those 400,000 members were also registering here just to play fantasy football, the demise of which was another massive own goal/fumble by NFLUK.

I found the only way to log in here was through this link:

https://forum.nfluk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Quite frankly, to have NFLUK propaganda machine claim that they’re closing the forum because the Facebook group is more popular is an insult, when they have clearly ignored to address the problems which they themselves are responsible for. Even if we had 1% of those 400,000 as regular forum users on a stable platform this place would be thriving.

A simple reboot and launch a new forum would’ve been the solution. But as was mentioned earlier in this thread we’re being told what to like instead of actually being listened to.
Old 10.07.2019, 08:44 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
A good chunk of those 400,000 members were also registering here just to play fantasy football, the demise of which was another massive own goal/fumble by NFLUK.
That's exactly how I started off. It was at least a couple of years after I registered for fantasy football that I finally ventured into the forum.

That game was great. Simple and quick to use. It might not have brought people direct to the forum, but it kept people in the loop and like me I expect a fair few would've eventually found their way here. Especially with a little encouragement or information to link the two.
Old 10.07.2019, 11:02 AM
All Pro

Quote:
That is not just current members, though, but goes back many years. I have had several accounts since originally joining in 2005 because of all the problems the various sites and upgrades have had in that time. There is probably a lot of other people in the same position. And I would not be surprised if that count does not also include the many thousands of spambots that registered too.

The more telling number for the forum's popularity is that the most accounts active at the same time was 4,564, just 1.1% of the total ever registered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
It's still 400,000 e-mail addresses of people who have at least some level of interest in American Football? Lets say half are spam bots, accidental registrations and people now dead - 200,000. What they do depends on how they are nurtured surely? Do nothing at all and it's no surprise that 4500 odd are the most visitors the sites had. Anyone that knows anything at all about e-marketing would say there's a hell of a lot you can do though. In the 6 years I've been on this site how many e-mails have I had from NFLUK? About anything? None.

The bottom line is that the powers that be had direct access to an awful lot of people who had at least some interest in American Football and chose to do worse than nothing. They ****** around with the log in protocol, made signing up and/or logging in damn near impossible and then went for the curious marketing tactic of removing the pages from the main site completely. Short of setting NFLUK House (if there is such a place) on fire I'm not sure they could have done worse?

Actually, thinking about it, setting the place on fire would at least have received media attention.

Its just a sign of the times fellas. Most of the people on here are dinosaurs, I know I am. I'm not on Facebook at all, have a business account for Twitter that I hardly ever look at and that's it. There's no room in the marketing plan for people like me, the future is all with the kids. To be honest I do get it, sort of. If you want to grow anything then you have to get the kids involved, they're the players of the future and any grass roots growth requires the game to become more embedded. I don't agree that Facebook is the way to go and I think there's a massive problem with the 'youth of today' in terms of attention span full stop although, I suppose I would say that, old fart that I am.

What I just don't get is what NFLUK gain by closing this forum down? I'd love to hear from someone just how much money it costs to run it, my guess is, beyond a yearly fee for the URL, next to nothing. Given that assumption why does anyone in the NFL care if there's some crusty old forum in some quiet corner of the internet inhabited by a few old timers moaning about log in problems and doing a pretend draft every year? It makes no sense? If you didn't want a forum anymore then why not? And why not just shut it years ago? Why deliberately run it down first?

Last edited by LesterHayes; 10.07.2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10.07.2019, 11:49 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post

Its just a sign of the times fellas. Most of the people on here are dinosaurs, I know I am. I'm not on Facebook at all, have a business account for Twitter that I hardly ever look at and that's it. There's no room in the marketing plan for people like me, the future is all with the kids. To be honest I do get it, sort of. If you want to grow anything then you have to get the kids involved, they're the players of the future and any grass roots growth requires the game to become more embedded...…..

...….What I just don't get is what NFLUK gain by closing this forum down? I'd love to hear from someone just how much money it costs to run it, my guess is, beyond a yearly fee for the URL, next to nothing. Given that assumption why does anyone in the NFL care if there's some crusty old forum in some quiet corner of the internet inhabited by a few old timers moaning about log in problems and doing a pretend draft every year? It makes no sense? If you didn't want a forum anymore then why not? And why not just shut it years ago? Why deliberately run it down first?
Tbh Lester, you're right. For as much as it annoys users of this forum that the place is shutting down, in the grand scheme of things it hardly registers on NFLUK's radar. Rightly or wrongly I think we can accept that as true.

Ironically, I imagine that someone, somewhere, at NFLUK does/did care about the fact that closing this place would offend/upset a small percentage of UK fans. That's the very reason for it's slow demise rather than a swift, clean shutdown years ago. It required minimal effort to keep this dysfunctional forum ticking over, so that's what they did. Just to pacify people.

Ultimately though rebuilding the place from scratch was too much effort. Someone, somewhere got bored of having the occasional issue/e mail flag up about the forum that they had to deal with. They've got more important things to do with their time than be distracted by issues that need real attention to be resolved.

So in the end it didn't really suit anyone. We the fans/members stubbornly battled on to keep an inadequate forum 'active', meanwhile NFLUK had to deal with an 'irritation' far longer than they wanted/needed to.

That's how I see it anyway.
Old 10.07.2019, 12:53 PM
All Pro