Draft 2016 - Page 17 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 04.05.2016, 08:21 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
From MMQB 'Jerry Jones, one observer said, turned to Garrett right about here and said: “The question is, can we really afford to lose two good players—good players—and take a guy as a hedge for the future? I think I’d rather give this two and three and have Lynch … or have [Mississippi State quarterback] Dak [Prescott] in the fourth.”

So no mention of Coonor Cook? The guy you tried to trade up for? Before taking Prescott? This is why I can't trust all this 100%.

Back to the board though. Did they take the 2 QB's (Goff and Wentz) off their board to begin with knowing they were going 1 & 2? Did it look like this:

Goff?
Wentz?
Bosa?

1a Ezekiel Elliott
1b Jalen Ramsey

3 Leonard Floyd

Deforest Buckner?
Sheldon Rankins?
Vernon Hargreves?
Laremy Tunsil?

12 Paxton Lynch
13 Emmanual Ogbah
14 Jaylon Smith
15 Myles Jack?
16 Noah Spence?

Shaq Lawson must have been lower than Lynch?
At the time of the discussion I don't think they thought Cook would be there. I think they knew Prescott would be.

I think the draft board you have put together is about right. I do think they had the QB's in the order Goff, Lynch,Wentz.

I wonder if they look to trade McFadden in the hope of getting a late pick. Only got 1 year left on his deal. (Chargers,Ravens?)
Old 04.05.2016, 08:50 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majicman View Post
At the time of the discussion I don't think they thought Cook would be there. I think they knew Prescott would be.

I think the draft board you have put together is about right. I do think they had the QB's in the order Goff, Lynch,Wentz.

I wonder if they look to trade McFadden in the hope of getting a late pick. Only got 1 year left on his deal. (Chargers,Ravens?)
They might have thought Prescott would be there, but they couldn't know for sure. They passed on Cook at 67 too, so that means they saw his value between 67-100, whereas they saw Prescott as 104+. Just seems strange that he wasn't mentioned.

It could well have been Goff, Lynch, Wentz, if Lynch was 12th on their board they were higher on him than most perhaps.

They might as well keep McFadden as insurance. No point trading him away unless someone offers something crazy like a 4th round pick (which they won't). They need RB's for Training Camp too.
Old 07.05.2016, 12:27 PM
Hall of Fame

Reading around it seems on Day 2 the Cowboys wanted a DE (possibly Ogbah) at 34, then wanted to get back into round 2 for Jaylon Smith.

So whether it was trying to get Lynch at 26 (34 + 101), or trying to get Smith in round 2 (67 + ??), they were happy to give up 67 (Maliek Collins) and/or 101 (Charles Tapper).

They've been nothing but happy since the draft about getting Collins and Tapper, although you wouldn't expect them to say anything else, but in the grand scheme of things it looks like they were expendable.

Interestingly Ogbah and Tapper tested out very similarly at the combine. Their 40 time, bench press, vertical and broad jump were almost identical. So it seems Tapper was a poor man's Ogbah in their eyes, a 'Plan B' if they couldn't get Ogbah at the top of round 2.

In the end they got Smith, Collins and Tapper instead of Ogbah and Smith. So Collins and Tapper vs Ogbah, in terms of production, is one to keep an eye on over he next 3 or 4 years.
Old 08.05.2016, 09:55 PM
All Pro

Think we had a poor draft tbh, i would have gone Ramsey although i,m happy with Elliot, Smith is as we know a huge risk but fair play, could be a star in the making and i,m all for taking a chance, after that.... i watched tape of Collins for the draft and wasnt impressed especially after his last season when his production fell away, having said that, i watched the vs Iowa game from 2014 when he mostly lined up against Walsh who i like and gave him a torrid time, so if he gets that back he might be worth it. Not a fan of Tapper and havnt seen much of Prescott really to have an opinion. Dissapointed with the later round picks tho.
Old 06.01.2017, 03:45 PM
Hall of Fame

Todd Archer reported yesterday:

'Talked to Jaylon Smith. Believes he could've played by now, being patient. Nerve regenerating. Brace not a factor anymore. Ran 4.5 other day'.

If that's true, and he's running in the 4.5's, then it's hard to understand why there hasn't been more said about it. It's great that they are being cautious with him though, after all the more time he has to recover and regain the structural strength of his knee the better. Fingers crossed for a productive off season for him.

Zeke, Dak, Maliek Collins, Anthony Brown AND a 100% Jaylon Smith would be an amazing draft haul!
Old 06.03.2017, 04:00 PM
Hall of Fame

more worrying view of Jaylon Smith's situation from MMQB:

'Dr. Thomas Gill, the former Patriots team doc who saw ex-New England RB Robert Edwards go through this scenario almost two decades ago, is skeptical on Smith.

“A hinged AFO will allow you to have your foot flex up, but not have it slap down,” Gill said over the weekend. “So basically you wear a brace so when you’re running or walking, your foot can have clearance when you swing your leg forward. But it’s not built for speed.

“Robert Edwards, he played with it for a while but lasted less than a season doing that. And he was a running back. You have to be a freakish athlete where you can afford to lose 20 or 25 percent of your speed, at least, and 45 percent of your power, and still be able to compete in the NFL.”

And playing with the ailment isn’t without risk, either.

“The risk is that you’re going to be more prone to injury. Your foot’s going to get caught in an awkward position,” Gill continued. “So if you’re in a pile-up, you know the classic high ankle sprain mechanism where the guy falls on the back of your leg? That leg’s going to be a lot more prone to getting caught in an awkward position, because he can’t point his toe.”

I'm starting to feel like the Cowboys panicked a little on this pick. Hopefully Smith makes it back but the more you read into this injury the more people you find who are pessimistic rather than optimistic. In fact the only optimism I've read/heard comes from the Cowboys.
Old 07.03.2017, 06:29 PM
All Pro

it sounded a bad injury at the time and doesnt look good
Old 03.05.2018, 05:23 PM
Hall of Fame

I see RB Darius Jackson got released by the Browns. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back with the Cowboys for Training Camp.

Tags
draft 2016 , nfluk