New York Jets Thread - Page 715 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Old 13.07.2016, 05:59 PM
All Pro

I'm not sure it will be that hard and fast. Both sides know that Fitz can come in and run the offence at fairly short notice. It's a bit like a standoff now, who's gonna draw first. I'm guessing the Jets have been impressed enough by what they have seen from Geno in OTAs because they haven't budged. Fitz however is probably gambling that when it comes to full practice that Geno will mess up and the offer will go up. Of course, if Geno continues to impress Fitz might find the offer withdrawn altogether and then he's waiting for a QB injury, Geno to implode in season or a back up spot. It wouldn't surprise me to see this run through to the second preseason game. If a deal isn't been done then Geno will start week 1.
Old 15.07.2016, 08:48 PM
MVP

Mo signs deal done.

5 years.

Finally.... Great news for this year.

Now surely QB deal or no deal will be next...
Old 15.07.2016, 09:02 PM
All Pro

What a shock. No real hint this was coming as all reports seem to show that we were hardly talking and miles away from a deal. Fantastic news.
Old 15.07.2016, 09:16 PM
Hall of Fame

$37m paid over first 2 years $54m total in the 1st 3 years.
Old 15.07.2016, 09:50 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetupandgo View Post
What a shock. No real hint this was coming as all reports seem to show that we were hardly talking and miles away from a deal. Fantastic news.
My jersey curse is over two jerseys bought this year and both players staying on the roster for the following year!

Also bought a 2 player tees and both of them look like they will be on roster too!

This has never happened to me before!
Old 19.07.2016, 11:20 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetupandgo View Post
I'm not sure it will be that hard and fast. Both sides know that Fitz can come in and run the offence at fairly short notice. It's a bit like a standoff now, who's gonna draw first. I'm guessing the Jets have been impressed enough by what they have seen from Geno in OTAs because they haven't budged. Fitz however is probably gambling that when it comes to full practice that Geno will mess up and the offer will go up. Of course, if Geno continues to impress Fitz might find the offer withdrawn altogether and then he's waiting for a QB injury, Geno to implode in season or a back up spot. It wouldn't surprise me to see this run through to the second preseason game. If a deal isn't been done then Geno will start week 1.
I feel if Fitz isn't on the team by training camp then we've handed the media and naysayers a big stick to hit us with. Any time Geno struggles in practice, everyone from the beat writers to the national reporters will be criticising the front office for not bringing Fitz back.

I've mentioned it before but it's a brutal start to the season and I'm expecting us to take a step back this year. But even if we bring Fitz back a couple of weeks into camp, you know there will be criticism saying his missed time is the reason we've struggled. Heck even if Fitz struggles, you know his time away from the team will be talked about even though he's always been an inconsistent player.

I fear we are headed for a repeat of 2014 season. Everyone loves the front office after their first year, but an offseason decision before the 2nd season completely changes the narrative both locally and nationally of the GM and coach. Is there any difference between Maccagnan's approach to the QB position this year and Idzik's approach to CBs in 2014? Both have set their price and are refusing to budge.

Just to clarify, I think we are totally handling this the right way. I think we will get slated no matter what. I'd just be in favour of drawing a line under this by the start of camp.
Old 19.07.2016, 11:49 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley_Man View Post
I feel if Fitz isn't on the team by training camp then we've handed the media and naysayers a big stick to hit us with. Any time Geno struggles in practice, everyone from the beat writers to the national reporters will be criticising the front office for not bringing Fitz back.

I've mentioned it before but it's a brutal start to the season and I'm expecting us to take a step back this year. But even if we bring Fitz back a couple of weeks into camp, you know there will be criticism saying his missed time is the reason we've struggled. Heck even if Fitz struggles, you know his time away from the team will be talked about even though he's always been an inconsistent player.

I fear we are headed for a repeat of 2014 season. Everyone loves the front office after their first year, but an offseason decision before the 2nd season completely changes the narrative both locally and nationally of the GM and coach. Is there any difference between Maccagnan's approach to the QB position this year and Idzik's approach to CBs in 2014? Both have set their price and are refusing to budge.

Just to clarify, I think we are totally handling this the right way. I think we will get slated no matter what. I'd just be in favour of drawing a line under this by the start of camp.
Pretty much that Woolley. The only way the FO come out of this totally unscathed is if a miracle happens and Geno becomes the guy. Then Mac is a genius. Its the nature of the job.

The truth is we're a side ready to make an impact aside from the most important position, and we don't really have any viable options there. Fitz is a journeyman, a good backup who can do you a job as a starter - he won't cost you many games but he can't win you many when the chips are down either. Geno's got a good arm but a ten cent brain - he can win you games, but he's likely to lose you more. The other two shouldn't see the field outside of blowouts and pre-season. Fitz offers the best chance of going 0.500 or better, but he's never made the playoffs and I can't see him being able to do it against better teams if we somehow do get there. Geno is the gamble, higher ceiling, lower floor. I'm glad I don't have to make the call.

The Mo situation has proved that Florham is tighter than a drum now Ol' Big Mouth has gone upstate. For all we know they could have already withdrawn the offer to Fitz and decided to roll with Geno.
Old 19.07.2016, 08:53 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy View Post
Mo signs deal done.

5 years.

Finally.... Great news for this year.

Now surely QB deal or no deal will be next...
Cap numbers are out
2016 $10m so saving about $5m on the tag
2017 $18m
2018 $20m but his salary part is only guaranteed if on the roster on the 3rd league day in march

Only 2016/17 fully guaranteed with $9m in dead money on the 2018 cap if the jets move on in 2018 to maybe pay Richardson.

Last edited by lee harris 10; 19.07.2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 19.07.2016, 09:26 PM
All Pro

Marshall says Fitz is blanking him and refusing into answer his messages and Fitz's NJ home has been put on the rental market according to the beat hacks. Could mean anything I guess. Doesn't make much sense to reduce Mo's cap hit for 2016 unless we're signing someone and need the cap space though. Fitz or someone else?
Old 20.07.2016, 07:47 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
Cap numbers are out
2016 $10m so saving about $5m on the tag
2017 $18m
2018 $20m but his salary part is only guaranteed if on the roster on the 3rd league day in march

Only 2016/17 fully guaranteed with $9m in dead money on the 2018 cap if the jets move on in 2018 to maybe pay Richardson.
Front office nailed it.

I doubt we will keep Richardson.