Holy Toledo ... How 'bout dem Raiders - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Oakland Raiders

Old 24.04.2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re:Holy Toledo ... How 'bout dem Raiders

[quote author=Pope Brunellus I link=board=1;threadid=10138;start=0#msg211822 date=1114348565]
Lack of a real pass-rush still concerns me. I know everyone else in the Division should be worried about pass-rushing against Oakland considering the Moss signing, but you still need somebody to get after the QB, especially if you stick with the 3-4 defense.

Then again, if Warren Sapp played like he was meant to it wouldn't be an issue :-\
[/quote]

His pass rushing was quite comical at times last year! Especially in the Crimbo day game against the Chiefs! Two steps the QB and then stop and look around! Great pass rushing technique there Warren! I'm sure he was just admiring Arrowhead Stadium! ;D
Old 24.04.2005, 01:36 PM
Pro Bowler

I'm not impressed with the Raiders off-season or their draft.

They restructured a load of contracts to make cap room, and then used it to pay a very heavy price for a talented but egotistic WR with a chequered history. Lamont Jordan is a solid RB, but not worth the money that Oakland paid for him.

Fabian Washington in round 1 was solid pick, but Stanford Routt was a big reach in round 2 - and together they are a downgrade from Buchanon and Woodson (whose days as a Raider are clearly numbered).

Bringing in a young QB made some sense, but the Raiders surely they had much bigger needs on the defensive side of the ball? Warren Sapp was wll past his best even before the left Tampa.
Old 24.04.2005, 02:19 PM
All Pro

KC and SD should own this division.......Oakland won't win 6 games imo.
Old 24.04.2005, 04:16 PM
All Pro

Its funny that Raiders fans are that ecstatic about that draft. Routt was a big reach and I doubt if there was any need to trade up for Washington who, IMO, has a lot to prove.

SD are the prize team out West and KC wont be far behind.
Old 24.04.2005, 05:37 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Soko link=board=1;threadid=10138;start=0#msg212080 date=1114359373]
Its funny that Raiders fans are that ecstatic about that draft. Routt was a big reach and I doubt if there was any need to trade up for Washington who, IMO, has a lot to prove.
[/quote]

I don't know anything about the players drafted. What I do know is that going into the offseason we had just played our worst back-to-back season in 40years. Some teams you hardly hear a peek out of all offseason, others have made a few moves. What I am "ecstatic" about is the fact that franchise is willing to spend out some money and try to be a winner. At least it gives some hope and belief that the management are not satisfied with poor results.

Whether they have executed well in their acquisitions is another matter. That will only become apparent as players begin to play.

For the record what I have seen this offseason ...
- a reconstructed offense with solid players throughout. We have two great WRs, an experienced QB, an offensive line that has two 2nd-year players on it. We've acquired a RB who was rated as the best available in free agency, and given that the running game was atrocious last year it should be a step up.
- special teams - we've lost a potentially explosive returner in Buchanon, but Seabass and Lechler are in the top echelon of the league. Ronald Curry will probably become the feature returner (if he doesn't get more time at wideout) and will be a threat.
- defense- this has been a problem for at least 5 years. Previously with Gannon running a superb offense we were able to outscore opponents and once we had the lead force them to play catchup. This gave us know passing situations which meant we weren't exposed to the run. Clearly that was a problem the last 2 years.
The CB position had run its course, Buchanon was a distraction and even benched last season - he's not such a loss. Woodson, is still a good corner, and hopefully the new guys will put pressure on him (and his agent).

As a team, the players are returning to training camp with high expectations. They'll be familiar with Norv Turner's offense and Rob Ryan's defense - in themselves those things will make us better.

Looking around the division ...
-Denver drafted 3 CBs and a RB. Is that such a surprise when they have to face Moss and the Chiefs offense. They always give us a problem and I suspect they'll be back to cause problems next year. They've won Super Bowls with their style of play, so don't count them out.
- The Chargers deservedly won the division last year, but they rebounded from a 4-12 season. They could easily go back there, I don't know how they suddenly came good. Key injuries or a few early losses and they could be in trouble. What I do know is that they have a problem coming up with Brees and Rivers both on the roster. They're paying far too much money for Rivers to sit on the bench, but Brees was their winner last year. The first sign of losing the old "QB controversy" headlines will be appearing.
- The Chiefs. They have the same defensive problems as us. Obviously picking up Surtain will assist them against Moss, and they've made some effort to reinforce the defense. But all in all they're still bound by their offense. Dick Vermeil usually comes good with his teams after 3 seasons, so this 4th one should be interesting.

BBS
Old 24.04.2005, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

I am in agreement,reserving judgement until I see them in action.But what has got to be agreed is Al has certainly been very shrewd in his dealings this off season.

Our problem is and has been defensively these past 2 seasons,whether or not our new picks will help,we shall see.But I cannot honestly see another season like the last 2.

Mark
Old 24.04.2005, 07:11 PM
All Pro

At what point did Jerry Porter become great?

Right now he is nothing more than a pretty average/just good #2 WR.
Old 24.04.2005, 07:36 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Fighting Tigers link=board=1;threadid=10138;start=15#msg212317 date=1114369871]
At what point did Jerry Porter become great?

Right now he is nothing more than a pretty average/just good #2 WR.
[/quote]

You're right, he's not football great. I think I meant it in the sense of "we had a great night out last week", it was poor writing on my part. Having said that ... with Ronald Curry present as 3rd WR, and obviously Moss will be drawing double-coverage; I think we do have a very good receiving corp.

BBS
Old 24.04.2005, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

[quote author=bright_blue_shorts link=board=1;threadid=10138;start=0#msg212202 date=1114364258]
- defense- this has been a problem for at least 5 years. Previously with Gannon running a superb offense we were able to outscore opponents and once we had the lead force them to play catchup. This gave us know passing situations which meant we weren't exposed to the run. Clearly that was a problem the last 2 years.
The CB position had run its course, Buchanon was a distraction and even benched last season - he's not such a loss. Woodson, is still a good corner, and hopefully the new guys will put pressure on him (and his agent).

- The Chargers deservedly won the division last year, but they rebounded from a 4-12 season. They could easily go back there, I don't know how they suddenly came good. Key injuries or a few early losses and they could be in trouble. What I do know is that they have a problem coming up with Brees and Rivers both on the roster. They're paying far too much money for Rivers to sit on the bench, but Brees was their winner last year. The first sign of losing the old "QB controversy" headlines will be appearing.
[/quote]
The major problem wth the Raiders is that they don't have any LBs to speak of. I like Morisson a lot but I'm not sure how he'll adjust to the speed of the NFL. That coupled with their extremely poor front 7 will kill them when they play the Chargers, Chiefs, Broncos or anyone else for that matter who has a half decent running game.

What happened in San Diego to make us come out of nowhere, was the change of defensive scheme, the development of Brees, the signing of quality vets like Foley, Godfrey, McCardell, Oben and Goff etc. A major reason we were so good was because our o-line played together almost the entire season and there wasn't one position along it that hadn't been upgraded from the year before. The fact that we are such a young team combined with the fact we have had another strong draft makes me think we won't be headed back to the bowels of the NFL.
Old 24.04.2005, 07:57 PM
Pro Bowler

I do like the moves that the Raiders have made in the off-season but things haven't been very good for them since the losing superbowl appearance so atleast they are making good news for themselves. The addition of Moss and Jordan are decent solid moves but I just think that defensively they seem to really struggle particularly the front seven and on paper they should be strong but just aren't. Talk about flatter to deceive.

They've improved offensively but defensively they are struggling and I see no evidence to suggest so far that has been improved upon so I can't see them being big contenders in the AFC West for next season.