Bengals state of the franchise - Page 5 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Old 21.06.2011, 07:44 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer07uk View Post
Long way of saying JJ might stay!
Lets hope so, our defense should have another chance to be at 2009 level if he does stay.

Maybe this year JJoe and Leon can earn Pro Bowl recognition for once.
Old 21.06.2011, 08:49 PM
Starter

Send a message via MSN to Huntsman86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR90RFC View Post
Lets hope so, our defense should have another chance to be at 2009 level if he does stay.

Maybe this year JJoe and Leon can earn Pro Bowl recognition for once.
JJoe has to stay if we're to have any chance at building a good team long term...hopefully with the rule being 90% of the salary cap that we can sign up JJOe to a big big contract but I doubt it as Adam Schefter is reporting that 4, 5 and 6 players will be unrestricted free agents. That is worrying but hopefully we'll sort out a deal that keeps him in Cincy.
Old 22.06.2011, 06:28 PM
All Pro

The more I read about this CBA the happier I get!!

Mike Brown will have to pay some proper wages. If he can't afford it, he'll have to improve facilities and make sure that the organisation is run competitively both on and off the field.

If he can't do that he'll have to have to sell up.

And JJ can get the Franchise tag!

Happy Days!
Old 22.06.2011, 09:25 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer07uk View Post
The more I read about this CBA the happier I get!!

Mike Brown will have to pay some proper wages. If he can't afford it, he'll have to improve facilities and make sure that the organisation is run competitively both on and off the field.

If he can't do that he'll have to have to sell up.

And JJ can get the Franchise tag!

Happy Days!
I was confused over the franchise tag situations, need to give him a long term contract I believe, but we do have a history of tying up the odd good player to a long term deal, i.e. Palmer, Whitworth, Peko and the artist formerly known as Chad Johnson.

I hope he sells up, he might not have a choice to....however an investment partner might be more likely. Are any of you guys planning to go next year?
Old 23.06.2011, 07:19 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman86 View Post
the artist formerly known as Chad Johnson.
^^LOL! Love that. Maybe we should change Carson Palmers name to a "symbol"
Old 23.06.2011, 11:00 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyodds View Post
^^LOL! Love that. Maybe we should change Carson Palmers name to a "symbol"
Maybe instead of CP9 we should just call him CP Whine!
Old 24.06.2011, 09:14 AM
All Pro

I don't want to see JJo go but like I say I feel quite comfortable with Adam Jones at that corner spot. The problem I'd have then would be depth. There simply wouldn't be any so they need to address that.
Wages sting Mike Brown? He's not as stingy as people make out with player wages. Sure he's not a Snyder type guy and throw money down the toilet to overrated players but he puts the money where it needs to go most of the time. This is the owner that signed his QB to a plus $100 million contract remember.
He's made good deals in the past with Chad and paid on the going rate. I understand that Brown wants value for money and thats not a bad thing. When you are in a small market like Cinci every penny counts to be able to make a profit and it is a business to whether we like it or not he is there to make a profit.I like the wqay he doesn't cave in to players demands with money and thinks long term. I agreed with him on T.J's departure for example - and that turned out to be the right thing to do cos since he left Cinci he's done jack!
I want the Bengals to be successful but not on the back of making irrational desicions, throwing money at problems does not work. Before success I'd rather have a team thats financially sound otherwise we'd be looking at 49er / Redskin situations. The problem in Cincinnati isn't money, it's deeper than that. It's the mentality of losing that whether it's Brown's fault or not is the real problem to address.
If the Brown's sold up (which won't happen btw, Katie Blackburn is waiting in the wings!) then I would like to have someone with the same FINANCIAL mindset as an owner. I would however like an owner that whilst having a head for good business in a small market can motivate the team and rid it of the culture of losing.
Old 24.06.2011, 05:52 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman View Post
I don't want to see JJo go but like I say I feel quite comfortable with Adam Jones at that corner spot. The problem I'd have then would be depth. There simply wouldn't be any so they need to address that.
Wages sting Mike Brown? He's not as stingy as people make out with player wages. Sure he's not a Snyder type guy and throw money down the toilet to overrated players but he puts the money where it needs to go most of the time. This is the owner that signed his QB to a plus $100 million contract remember.
He's made good deals in the past with Chad and paid on the going rate. I understand that Brown wants value for money and thats not a bad thing. When you are in a small market like Cinci every penny counts to be able to make a profit and it is a business to whether we like it or not he is there to make a profit.I like the wqay he doesn't cave in to players demands with money and thinks long term. I agreed with him on T.J's departure for example - and that turned out to be the right thing to do cos since he left Cinci he's done jack!
I want the Bengals to be successful but not on the back of making irrational desicions, throwing money at problems does not work. Before success I'd rather have a team thats financially sound otherwise we'd be looking at 49er / Redskin situations. The problem in Cincinnati isn't money, it's deeper than that. It's the mentality of losing that whether it's Brown's fault or not is the real problem to address.
If the Brown's sold up (which won't happen btw, Katie Blackburn is waiting in the wings!) then I would like to have someone with the same FINANCIAL mindset as an owner. I would however like an owner that whilst having a head for good business in a small market can motivate the team and rid it of the culture of losing.
Good points all.

BUT the replacements for TJ were that muppet from the Jets followed by Bryant. There goes mega-millions in two deals.

Throw in fat Andre and you'd have paid for some proper contracts to players who actually want to wear the shirt. He had red flags all over his over-sized backside and we still waste a high draft pick on him.

Mike Browns business accumen is zero. If he employed a decent GM at reasonable cost he'd save himself millions every year. And the Bengals would be competitive.

Frustrates the hell out of me

So back to your point that "throwing money at problems does not work". No it doesn't.

But to play on words, the problems he's thrown money at have been complete disasters
Old 24.06.2011, 05:56 PM
All Pro

From ESPN:

Teams predicted to lose most from the potential new salary cap/floor.

1. Cincinnati Bengals: Frugal owner Mike Brown loves having a low payroll. He has to like having a payroll of $77.2 million along with $35.9 million of cap room. Quarterback Carson Palmer is expected to sit out the season, taking $11.5 million off the books. If the Bengals cut or trade wide receiver Chad Ochocinco, they would save an additional $6.35 million. In order to get to the proposed floor, the Bengals would have to spend close to $60.65 million in free agency, re-signings and the draft. That's too big a budget for the Bengals.

Question: If the proposed rules become the new CBA (even with a phased introduction), how can he not increase the paybill to the floor? Surely the team get somehow penalised ...

Anyone know what used to happen if teams exceeded the old cap?

Last edited by boomer07uk; 24.06.2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 24.06.2011, 06:03 PM
All Pro

NFL teams who went over the old salary cap were subject to forfeiture of players contracts and / or game forfeits

A High price to pay!