Bengals to spend $60 Million? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Old 27.06.2011, 09:24 PM
All Pro

Default Bengals to spend $60 Million?

according to ESPN with the new CBA the salary floor will be going up significantly (I believe from 75% to 95%). When Palmer's salary comes off the cap and probably OchoCinco they be around 60 million under the floor.

Hopefully that means extensions for J-Joe and Hall at least.
Old 27.06.2011, 09:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 118 M Man #9 View Post
according to ESPN with the new CBA the salary floor will be going up significantly (I believe from 75% to 95%). When Palmer's salary comes off the cap and probably OchoCinco they be around 60 million under the floor.

Hopefully that means extensions for J-Joe and Hall at least.
So...... J-Jo and Benson to be paid $30 million each this year? lol

I like this part of the CBA, and maybe it will make Mike Brown realise he has to spend money, so he may as well spend it well. No longer will he be able to sit and make a profit, as this will eat up quite a lot, if not all, of said profit.
Old 27.06.2011, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde203 View Post
So...... J-Jo and Benson to be paid $30 million each this year? lol

I like this part of the CBA, and maybe it will make Mike Brown realise he has to spend money, so he may as well spend it well. No longer will he be able to sit and make a profit, as this will eat up quite a lot, if not all, of said profit.
I think this part of the CBA will be a killer for some small Market teams, especially as the bigger market teams keep driving the ceiling higher with the new bigger stadia/naming rights etc etc.

Teams like the Bengals/Jags/Bills etc etc may struggle to afford to keep up with the top ten revenue generators in coming years.
Old 28.06.2011, 09:38 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I think this part of the CBA will be a killer for some small Market teams, especially as the bigger market teams keep driving the ceiling higher with the new bigger stadia/naming rights etc etc.

Teams like the Bengals/Jags/Bills etc etc may struggle to afford to keep up with the top ten revenue generators in coming years.
It depends on how the owners want to go. No longer will they be able to just plug away and make a profit while allowing the team to play second fiddle. They will have to compete and try to win games. Maybe that means some teams move into bigger markets, like LA, maybe it means some teams just can't compete. Hopefully it means the likes of Mike Brown change their ways, but I'll be surprised.
Old 29.06.2011, 06:42 AM
All Pro

Vincent, you're absolutely right. In the end small market teams like the Bengals will be forced to move elsewhere and the city lose their team. Especially so if your owner's only major business is the team he owns.
Old 05.07.2011, 10:24 AM
Starter

I have heard a lot of reports saying that we need to spend big money so this could mean free agent signings and franchise tags used. This lockout could make the Bengals much better.
Old 05.07.2011, 07:32 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by erenmusXIX View Post
I have heard a lot of reports saying that we need to spend big money so this could mean free agent signings and franchise tags used. This lockout could make the Bengals much better.
I think the same.

I'm not sure of the other view that the team will move to collect better revenues locally. I mean, who exactly would want the 'prestige' of one of the worst run sporting franchises being their new team. The Jags, Bills, Vikes will all be moving before the Bengals are even considered.

Brown can sell up to a billionairre (I vote for this), or stop scrimping and penny-pinching and improve the product on the pitch by finally spending some money on the team. Perhaps, if the product improves, he'll win fans and therefore more revenue.

It's his miserly approach that's brought him to this point. I guarentee he'll have made his family millions by abusing the old CBA. So why should any care at all at his new plight of having to actually spend the millions his teams gets.

I bet he was a prime mover in the owners denying opening the books up. And we all know why.

Personally I'm more than happy with a salary floor. Despite the short term problems it will cause Brown.
Old 26.07.2011, 04:32 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer07uk View Post
I think the same.

I'm not sure of the other view that the team will move to collect better revenues locally. I mean, who exactly would want the 'prestige' of one of the worst run sporting franchises being their new team. The Jags, Bills, Vikes will all be moving before the Bengals are even considered.

Brown can sell up to a billionairre (I vote for this), or stop scrimping and penny-pinching and improve the product on the pitch by finally spending some money on the team. Perhaps, if the product improves, he'll win fans and therefore more revenue.

It's his miserly approach that's brought him to this point. I guarentee he'll have made his family millions by abusing the old CBA. So why should any care at all at his new plight of having to actually spend the millions his teams gets.

I bet he was a prime mover in the owners denying opening the books up. And we all know why.

Personally I'm more than happy with a salary floor. Despite the short term problems it will cause Brown.
Fantastic post
Old 26.07.2011, 06:02 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengaldom View Post
Fantastic post
Thanks

I'm quite sad, but I had a terrible thought the other day that Cincy might be able to use up some salary floor money by clearing out Andre Smith.

Yes I am that sad!

His contract was ~£20m guarenteed over four years. There were some +year options as well, but I can't see those being taken up now.

That means the Bengals can fill up £10m of cap floor by clearing out his remaining 2 years and cutting him.

Not the most productive use of funds, but it's definitely possible if he comes to camp fat and/or unfit. Both are very likely.

Perhaps he gets one more season to finally prove his worth.
Old 27.07.2011, 01:47 PM
Starter

according to reports, Andre Smith has turned up to camp lean and the lightest he's every been as a pro. He could be a good player this year for us.