2011 Bengals Draft Predictor Challenge - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Old 01.04.2011, 11:53 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman86 View Post
If we take either Green or Mallet, I will be furious!!

WR is a need and whilst Green is scary talented...we wont win consistently without a great defense!

Mallet will be in the arena league in 4 years and picking him will be stupid. Lets get someone who is accurate and a leader, not a big arm and big joke!

Defense please Mike!
You can't question Mallett's talent. If he sorts his personal life out then he could be a Hall of Fame quarterback. If the team think he has the chance to do that (and which team would be more willing to take a punt on him than us) he should be picked in round 2. That is, if Locker isn't on the board, who is the best QB in this class.

I agree that the first pick should be defense though. If we pick Green I'd be questioning why we even bother to have a team.
Old 01.04.2011, 01:36 PM
Starter

Send a message via MSN to Huntsman86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde203 View Post
You can't question Mallett's talent. If he sorts his personal life out then he could be a Hall of Fame quarterback. If the team think he has the chance to do that (and which team would be more willing to take a punt on him than us) he should be picked in round 2. That is, if Locker isn't on the board, who is the best QB in this class.

I agree that the first pick should be defense though. If we pick Green I'd be questioning why we even bother to have a team.
Thats some claim on Locker, not sure I agree...I watched both gabbert and locker in their respective bowl games and was more excited by Gabbert. Mallet is talented but all the great teams have proved that if you dont have the dedication to task in the NFl, you just wont win! What you say is fair though but massively hypothetical. That being said there is also an argument to say that is he ended up a great programme and had the time to learn, he could be great! For us, in the AFC North, he would get eaten alive!!

Defense has to be the first pick...you need to get your basics sorted first and that means either D line or O line, there is no O line worthy at pick 4 so D line would be my pick! One of Peterson, Miller, Dareus, Bowers has to fall into our lap, so take the one you feel best about!!
Old 01.04.2011, 03:28 PM
MVP

Quote:
Thats some claim on Locker, not sure I agree...I watched both gabbert and locker in their respective bowl games and was more excited by Gabbert. Mallet is talented but all the great teams have proved that if you dont have the dedication to task in the NFl, you just wont win! What you say is fair though but massively hypothetical. That being said there is also an argument to say that is he ended up a great programme and had the time to learn, he could be great! For us, in the AFC North, he would get eaten alive!!

Defense has to be the first pick...you need to get your basics sorted first and that means either D line or O line, there is no O line worthy at pick 4 so D line would be my pick! One of Peterson, Miller, Dareus, Bowers has to fall into our lap, so take the one you feel best about!!
I'd take Fairley myself. Peterson is not needed, Miller doesn't fit, Darreus doesn't excite me massively and Bowers has a lot of injury issues.
Old 01.04.2011, 04:54 PM
Starter

Quote:
I'd take Fairley myself. Peterson is not needed, Miller doesn't fit, Darreus doesn't excite me massively and Bowers has a lot of injury issues.
Whats your thinking on Fairley, he sounds like a classic Bengals pick!!

Peterson is a great player, and we need them

You could make Miller fit at Rey's spot and push him inside

Bowers will heal up, sounds a dedicated guy...ran a 4.96 at the combine today, which isn't awful for a guy his size. Its not like he is Andre Smith!

Whats not exciting about Dareus? Have to respectively disagree MDE
Old 01.04.2011, 08:32 PM
MVP

Quote:
Whats your thinking on Fairley, he sounds like a classic Bengals pick!!

Peterson is a great player, and we need them

You could make Miller fit at Rey's spot and push him inside

Bowers will heal up, sounds a dedicated guy...ran a 4.96 at the combine today, which isn't awful for a guy his size. Its not like he is Andre Smith!

Whats not exciting about Dareus? Have to respectively disagree MDE
Fairley is a Bengals pick- massive talent and a few overstated issues.

Miller doesn't fit anything but a 3-4 right now, as he can't play the run very well. He may fit the 4-3 in his later years, but he won't for a while, so isn't worth such a high pick.

I like Bowers too, but would prefer Fairley.

Darreus is a little like an inbetween guy, who fits fine in the 3-4 and 4-3, but not perfectly in either. I'd prefer Fairley myself.
Old 02.04.2011, 08:46 AM
Starter

Quote:
Fairley is a Bengals pick- massive talent and a few overstated issues.

Miller doesn't fit anything but a 3-4 right now, as he can't play the run very well. He may fit the 4-3 in his later years, but he won't for a while, so isn't worth such a high pick.

I like Bowers too, but would prefer Fairley.

Darreus is a little like an inbetween guy, who fits fine in the 3-4 and 4-3, but not perfectly in either. I'd prefer Fairley myself.
If we have a choice between Fairlet and Darreus, we'd be silly to not pick Darreus...Warren Sapp isn't often wrong about DTs amongst other who have him rated higher...I dont want another project!

Miller will be a beast and could definitely convert to a 4-3...I'd like to see us play more hybrid anyway and have a lot of 3-4 looks, I think we have the personnel for it.

Gabbert or defense for me!
Old 02.04.2011, 02:21 PM
MVP

Quote:
If we have a choice between Fairlet and Darreus, we'd be silly to not pick Darreus...Warren Sapp isn't often wrong about DTs amongst other who have him rated higher...I dont want another project!

Miller will be a beast and could definitely convert to a 4-3...I'd like to see us play more hybrid anyway and have a lot of 3-4 looks, I think we have the personnel for it.

Gabbert or defense for me!
Fairley is not a a project. He could come in and play to a very high level straight away. It's just his desire that is under question. If we can make him want it he can be as good as any d-tackle in the NFL. I think his upside is a lot higher than Darreus, but his downside is a lot lower as well. It's about risk-reward, and I'd feel confident taking this risk.

I don't see how you say you don't want a project and then say Miller would be a good pick. Converting him to the 4-3 would take a long time, as he needs to learn how to play the run, which is something he struggles with right now. At the moment, he is a pass rusher, and that will be shown up in his first year in the league. If we tried to fit him into the 4-3 that would become hugely evident.

My board would be:

1, Fairley
2, Bowers
3, Quinn
4, Darreus
5, Green

I don't like any of the QBs enough to put them up there, and would hate a PP7 pick because of need.
Old 02.04.2011, 04:09 PM
Starter

Quote:
Fairley is not a a project. He could come in and play to a very high level straight away. It's just his desire that is under question. If we can make him want it he can be as good as any d-tackle in the NFL. I think his upside is a lot higher than Darreus, but his downside is a lot lower as well. It's about risk-reward, and I'd feel confident taking this risk.

I don't see how you say you don't want a project and then say Miller would be a good pick. Converting him to the 4-3 would take a long time, as he needs to learn how to play the run, which is something he struggles with right now. At the moment, he is a pass rusher, and that will be shown up in his first year in the league. If we tried to fit him into the 4-3 that would become hugely evident.

My board would be:

1, Fairley
2, Bowers
3, Quinn
4, Darreus
5, Green

I don't like any of the QBs enough to put them up there, and would hate a PP7 pick because of need.
I'm sayin Dareus is a project because of his attitude. You want us to develop him into a game changing DT by changing his attitude, how is that not a project!?

On Miller, this guy is considered one of the most pro ready prospects, maybe he doesnt fit a 4-3 but I want a guy who is committed to be a pro rather than a talented guy who you have to develop...that is the Bengals thing to do and that hasnt worked for us in the past.

I wouldn't personally take Miller but its an option I would explore like Jay Gruden said "We wont discriminate against greatness"

Your board for me is almost the wrong way round for me. I wouldnt have Fairley on it and I would have Gabbert on it. I rate Bowers higher than Quinn on what I've heard. And I am not high on picking a WR although it would allow us to drop Chad, which you know I am a fan of!!
Old 02.04.2011, 04:19 PM
MVP

Quote:
I'm sayin Dareus is a project because of his attitude. You want us to develop him into a game changing DT by changing his attitude, how is that not a project!?

On Miller, this guy is considered one of the most pro ready prospects, maybe he doesnt fit a 4-3 but I want a guy who is committed to be a pro rather than a talented guy who you have to develop...that is the Bengals thing to do and that hasnt worked for us in the past.

I wouldn't personally take Miller but its an option I would explore like Jay Gruden said "We wont discriminate against greatness"

Your board for me is almost the wrong way round for me. I wouldnt have Fairley on it and I would have Gabbert on it. I rate Bowers higher than Quinn on what I've heard. And I am not high on picking a WR although it would allow us to drop Chad, which you know I am a fan of!!
Fair enough that you would consider Fairley a project because of that, but he can easily step in and play from day one, which is something Miller could not do. Therefore Miller is much more of a project. The attitude stuff with Fairley seems a concern, but judging attitude is like judging injuries, not something we fans can do properly, as we don't have interviews etc. I think Fairley could easily become a challenger for the best d-tackle in the NFL, which is not something I can say about Darreus. Top ten at his position? Should be. Special enough to be the best? Not in my opinion.

I would consider Miller, and look into him in a 4-3, but I don't think he fits, so I wouldn't take him. If we thought he could fit, he'd be a good pick at 10, but not 4.

With Gabbert, I feel that accuracy is as much of an issue as it is with Locker. His system should make his completion percentage a lot higher than it is, and that worries me. He certainly has some talent, and I think he'll be an average NFL starter, but he doesn't have enough for me to take him so high. If you take a QB at four, you need to be pretty sure that he can become top 10. I don't see it, so I wouldn't want to take him.

I don't like the idea of picking Green either, but I think he would be the next best option after the d-linemen. I'd be happy with a second round QB and then to go after a guy like Bulger, or Orton if available.
Old 02.04.2011, 05:10 PM
Team Captain

Chaps - very interesting debate about who you want.However, you're on the 'predictor' challenge thread, which I was going to adjudicate on after the draft.Out of all the posts there are actually only 2 (and a quarter) entries so far.I understand that some people will wait to the last minute to make their predictions, but to make it easy for me to trawl through the entries can we have the debate about who we 'want' on the 4th pick thread please! This is the who we 'will' pick thread.
Just sayin'.......