AJ Green - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Old 29.04.2011, 11:27 AM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to BengalBoy

Solid pick, Green should be a great addition, as for QB i hope we get Dalton, if we had a better O-Line i would say Mallet but i do worry about him behind our line and in a locker room that's not been known to be rock solid. Mallet needs to be in a strong locker room packed full of respected Vets.
Old 29.04.2011, 11:50 AM
All Pro

I said from Day 1 I thought we'd take Green and I love the pick. Quality production for a long time to come.

So Gabbert was there. So what. He was over-rated in the top 5 all along and I'm chuffed we didn't go for him. Green is much better all round.

Now I'm curious about what's next. I wonder if they rate Dalton or Mallett that highly, or perhaps can work out a Free Agent IF CP9 really does end up going.

I'm gonna say we don't go QB and pick up a DT instead.
Old 29.04.2011, 12:49 PM
MVP

I've been hearing Chad to Detroit today, which I think would be a good move him and the Lions, as this pick means he is definitely going (something I still didn't believe until last night).

For the next pick. I want Mallett. Here's why:

Without his character issues, Ryan Mallett is the best quarterback currently available, and he is a better immediate option than Locker, Gabbert, Newton or Ponder. He needs to learn to slide in the pocket as he is pretty immobile, but so is Rivers and he gets by. It's something which can be learnt.

If we pick Mallett, and he decides to work at it, then we will have a passing attack for the next ten years consisting of Mallett, AJ Green, Jerome Simpson (possibly), Jordan Shipley and Jermaine Gresham. That is scary for any team to defend.

It means we need to upgrade the offensive line, especially the interior, but that can be done in this draft, in free agency or next year. We would still need a defensive tackle and a pair of safeties, as well as resigning Joseph and Hall to long term deals, but safeties can be found at a cut price, and defensive tackles will be there in the third round for us to look at, as well as having Atkins to develop.

If we could put that together in the next two years and Mallett develops properly, we could be a long-term contender.

Can you envision that with Andy Dalton? He may be a better system fit (but the system can be altered to fit Mallett's skillset) but he is a far, far worse quarterback. The character is the problem, but do you want a quarterback who will never be secure in his job as he is just not that good or a quarterback who could be a top 5 player if things pan out? I know what I'd do.
Old 29.04.2011, 03:32 PM
Team Captain

Green is a very good pick-not unhappy with it at all.

However.....I personally would have taken that trade. An extra 2nd & 4th this year and a 1st & 4th next.Could have filled needs there definitely.
I like 2nd round picks, less likely to be busts (by simple virtue of the reduced cost), and look at some of our recent 2nd rd picks -Chad Johnson,Steinbach,Thurman (great player but..),Whitworth,Simpson,Maualuga, Dunlap.
So excited by the talent there for the taking - Bowers,Paea,Ayers etc would be great for the defence.
Of course-we look locked in to a QB.Thanks Carson.
Or , are we? Depends whether we think we can get a decent free agent, and whether Dan 'The Fever' is looking the part or not (only the coaches will know) as a back up.
Or , is CP9 tempted to come back-he still hasn't said anything formally (only the coaches will know).
If we are locked in for a QB I hope its Mallett actually, but Buffalo may think the same.
Whatever, there are some great names left on the board-looking forward to watching tonight!
Old 29.04.2011, 03:37 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalblueboy1 View Post
Green is a very good pick-not unhappy with it at all.

However.....I personally would have taken that trade. An extra 2nd & 4th this year and a 1st & 4th next.Could have filled needs there definitely.
I like 2nd round picks, less likely to be busts (by simple virtue of the reduced cost), and look at some of our recent 2nd rd picks -Chad Johnson,Steinbach,Thurman (great player but..),Whitworth,Simpson,Maualuga, Dunlap.
So excited by the talent there for the taking - Bowers,Paea,Ayers etc would be great for the defence.
Of course-we look locked in to a QB.Thanks Carson.
Or , are we? Depends whether we think we can get a decent free agent, and whether Dan 'The Fever' is looking the part or not (only the coaches will know) as a back up.
Or , is CP9 tempted to come back-he still hasn't said anything formally (only the coaches will know).
If we are locked in for a QB I hope its Mallett actually, but Buffalo may think the same.
Whatever, there are some great names left on the board-looking forward to watching tonight!
The top of the second will be fascinating tonight. I think Washington trade up to number 33 and take Kapernick, then we get a choice of the two and take Dalton. Rumour is we tried to trade up to 32 but wouldn't give enough (sounds about right.....), presumably that was for Dalton. If they were gone I'd take Paea in an instant.
Old 29.04.2011, 04:25 PM
All Pro

you guys were crazy not to take Atlanta's trade. You would have got a choice between Mallett and Dalton (Almost certain that one is taken before you) with Titus Young still being there in the 2nd if you want him.

And not only did you not accept the trade, but you let another AFC North team benefit by doing so.
Old 29.04.2011, 04:40 PM
Starter

Send a message via MSN to Huntsman86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde203 View Post
We need a QB, but Dalton is not that QB. Mallett is a worse fit in the supposed system, but by far the superior QB. Draft Mallett and mould the system for what we have.
You know how much I hate this suggestion. He will get mullered in the AFC North!
Old 29.04.2011, 05:57 PM
All Pro

Funny how a Ravens fan has lamented the Bengals draft in the first round. The thing the Bengals have always done in the Lewis tenure is draft on grading rather than position. It worked out great last year and the Bengals got some great picks who will be with the Bengals for a few years to come.
I like the Green pick. It means Chad is disposable which is good considering he's on the slide at this point in his career. It also is a big carrot to poke Palmer with in his self imposed exodus.
I really like the idea of taking a QB in the second or third. It gives the Bengals room to talk to Palmer about coming back. At the same time it also allows the Bengals to draft for the future after Palmer (he is 31), and if Palmer doesn't come back the Bengals will most likely get a older free agent in whilst developing the young QB who won't be paid such an exorbitant rate that he can't warm the bench and be developed.
Brilliance thus far I'd say!

Last edited by Bengalsman; 29.04.2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 29.04.2011, 06:07 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman86 View Post
You know how much I hate this suggestion. He will get mullered in the AFC North!
Yeah but he can make throws that Andy Dalton can only dream of. He can learn to slide, it's not too difficult to pick up with NFL coaching. Dalton isn't half the quarterback Mallett is. Which is something we'll find out next year as Dalton starts for us.
Old 29.04.2011, 06:42 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_browns! View Post
Was really hoping you'd take Gabbert thus leaving us to snap up Green. He's a top class prospect and I am insanely jealous ! Not looking forward to week one now
Haden has already shut him down On a serious note its going to be good to see the suggested best WR in this years draft up against the suggested best CB from last year, this could be a great match up for the next few years until Green gets fed up of being ownded and asks for a trade

Last edited by leebladedawg; 29.04.2011 at 06:47 PM.