Bengals state of the franchise - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Old 15.06.2011, 10:07 PM
Team Captain

Default Bengals state of the franchise

I have recently started blogging again sice my essays for uni are done. Please let me know what you guys think, worked damn hard on it.
Old 15.06.2011, 10:36 PM
Team Captain

ESPN The Magazine: The Bengals Are The Worst Franchise In Sports
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/6/15...hise-in-sports

However - we have the best NFLUK fans .Who Dey !
Old 15.06.2011, 10:52 PM
All Pro

After no posts since May 26th I'm about to post and someone has beaten me to it!!!

Oh well look on the bright side... the Bengals can't get any worse so can only get better!!
Old 16.06.2011, 11:21 AM
MVP

For those wanting to read the OP's blog, here is the link: http://conboysports.wordpress.com/20...0-record-4-12/

That was a pretty fair assessment, and you have clearly spent a lot of time watching tape from last year. I like the fact you clearly put across that this team has talent, but much of it was either hurt of underperformed this year, and I totally agree that Coach Lewis will be wondering how he still has a job (and so he should be!). I'd disagree with you about Dhani Jones, I thought he had a solid year, but I'd need to go back and watch the games again to make a proper judgement on that.

Good work, always good to see someone who puts so much into these things.
Old 16.06.2011, 04:25 PM
Team Captain

Good article.

Pretty accurate for a TB fan(?).

Slightly disagree re DT's - I think Atkins & Sims are pretty good. Also - Rivers is not a decent tackler.My own observations ( supported by recent stats I've seen) are that he is borderline poor.

Generally though he's right , next season could be anything from 3-13 to 9-7.
Old 17.06.2011, 04:36 PM
Team Captain

I felt the defensive tackles played the run solidly, they just struggled to make any impact plays and were a non-factor in the passing game.
re Rivers tackling, I have watched a couple of games again, I need to check this out more but he doesn't seem to wrap up well consistently, perhaps going for the big hit? I definitelty didn't see his tackling as poor, though the only reviews I have done are of poor teams, compared to some the 'backers for the Broncos and Bills he looked like a cross between Derrick Brooks and Ray Lewis...
Indeed I am a Bucs fan and I still want to thank Palmer for helping us out in week 5? iirc
How entertaining a read is it, any suggestions for the structure? The intimate detail is what I am going for, with minimal stats talk if any. I suspect the answer will be no, but do you think a newbie fan can take much from this?
Old 17.06.2011, 05:14 PM
Team Captain

Conboy, it is a very good read. As someone who watched all our games live I have to hand it to you as a very insightful look at our season strengths and weaknesses.

I personally do like my stats,acknowledging that they don't always tell the full tale.

However, with Keith Rivers -this one unfortunately does:

In a recent Football Outsiders posting, Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers posted a Broken Tackle Rate of 17.1%. That means of all the tackles he should have had -- defined as a defensive player in proper position and gets "juked" out of his shoes or the ball carrier escaping the grasps of the defender -- he missed on 17.1% of his chances. With a minimum of 50 tackles, Rivers' rate ranks as the second-worst behind Will Witherspoon at linebacker

He's not terrible-just disappointing for a 1st round pick
Old 17.06.2011, 05:16 PM
Team Captain

Oh, and re the DT's -have another look at Geno Atkins ( part of our 'Fisher Price Package') - he brings a lot of pressure and contributed to Dunlaps effectiveness.
Old 17.06.2011, 05:30 PM
All Pro

I know nothing about Rivers as a person, but on the field he really seems to lack dynamism and whilst he doesn't avoid contact per-se, I can't remember the last time he blew up a running play or TE or RB in coverage. For that level of draft pick he's really very ordinary. Disappointingly you see very little leadership from him.

Now Gino is another matter. Look at the speed of his feet and his mobility. I love watching him. He can be a massive impact player in the future I think. I'd love to see him alongside a really physical 3 tec who would give him even more space to operate in. Peko doesn't really do that.
Old 17.06.2011, 09:01 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer07uk View Post
I know nothing about Rivers as a person, but on the field he really seems to lack dynamism and whilst he doesn't avoid contact per-se, I can't remember the last time he blew up a running play or TE or RB in coverage. For that level of draft pick he's really very ordinary. Disappointingly you see very little leadership from him.

Now Gino is another matter. Look at the speed of his feet and his mobility. I love watching him. He can be a massive impact player in the future I think. I'd love to see him alongside a really physical 3 tec who would give him even more space to operate in. Peko doesn't really do that.
Everyone down on Peko?, he does he most for us at DT, better than Sims, Tank and Geno (at this current time). He take 2 O-linemen out of the game, doesn't anyone think that Geno had incredible success as soon as Tank got injured and he played alongside Peko? Just a thought.