Bengals state of the franchise - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Old 17.06.2011, 09:05 PM
Starter

Send a message via MSN to Huntsman86

I am not sure how the Bengals fans who watched all the games can agree with what Conboy has written. That being said, great effort from him...its got us lot talking again which is good!

Here is my view on what he said for the offense

Palmer - "one of the tougher guys to blitz as well. Doesn’t handle unexpected pressure well." how does that sentance make sense

Benson - receiving could be improved...only had 16 catches come his way so hardly his fault.

Scott - "Has decent receiving ability and the quickness that Benson lacks. Not got the speed to be a home run threat" has he got speed or not? make your mind up.

Leonard - apparently he played lots of fullback last year...or is that you and I call being the 3rd down back. His blocking is more than fine. In fact he gave up no sacks last season, and not sure how many plays he was on where he was a run blocker but I dont recall that often, be interested in seeing his stats.

Excellent article on Cincy Jungle regarding the RBs pass blocking http://tinyurl.com/6l8j7dk

WR - Spot on about Chad, although he runs great routes when he is focused. His TD against Atlanta was one of his best ever but as you know dont want his distractions on the team.

Shipley - "Not the most dynamic once he has the ball in his hands." Disagree with this point, he is very shifty...Jay Gruden will love this guy!

Im backing Simpson and Caldwell and think they're hands are much better than he suggests and both are very keen blockers which fans love to see. Sample size of games is too small though to have a fair opinion on them but think they'll be used considerably!

Gresham - harsh comments on blocking I feel, but does need improvement. Gruden will love him as well, would love to know what Conboy means by "a more rounded alternative to Gresham would be ideal."

OL - spot on with the assessment of the group. Seemed very fair but no mention of Collins who I am a big fan of!

If he watched every Bengals game then I am all ears but at time it feels like he has made assumptions based on the Buccs game which is fair and again, excellent effort for being comprehensive.

Defense analysis to follow and no doubt so will criticsm of my comments!
Old 17.06.2011, 09:18 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman86 View Post
I am not sure how the Bengals fans who watched all the games can agree with what Conboy has written. That being said, great effort from him...its got us lot talking again which is good!

Here is my view on what he said for the offense

Palmer - "one of the tougher guys to blitz as well. Doesn’t handle unexpected pressure well." how does that sentance make sense

Benson - receiving could be improved...only had 16 catches come his way so hardly his fault.

Scott - "Has decent receiving ability and the quickness that Benson lacks. Not got the speed to be a home run threat" has he got speed or not? make your mind up.

Leonard - apparently he played lots of fullback last year...or is that you and I call being the 3rd down back. His blocking is more than fine. In fact he gave up no sacks last season, and not sure how many plays he was on where he was a run blocker but I dont recall that often, be interested in seeing his stats.

Excellent article on Cincy Jungle regarding the RBs pass blocking http://tinyurl.com/6l8j7dk

WR - Spot on about Chad, although he runs great routes when he is focused. His TD against Atlanta was one of his best ever but as you know dont want his distractions on the team.

Shipley - "Not the most dynamic once he has the ball in his hands." Disagree with this point, he is very shifty...Jay Gruden will love this guy!

Im backing Simpson and Caldwell and think they're hands are much better than he suggests and both are very keen blockers which fans love to see. Sample size of games is too small though to have a fair opinion on them but think they'll be used considerably!

Gresham - harsh comments on blocking I feel, but does need improvement. Gruden will love him as well, would love to know what Conboy means by "a more rounded alternative to Gresham would be ideal."

OL - spot on with the assessment of the group. Seemed very fair but no mention of Collins who I am a big fan of!

If he watched every Bengals game then I am all ears but at time it feels like he has made assumptions based on the Buccs game which is fair and again, excellent effort for being comprehensive.

Defense analysis to follow and no doubt so will criticsm of my comments!
He indeed does watch every game before writing the articles.
Old 17.06.2011, 09:24 PM
Starter

Defense response to post

Dunlap - he just needs to practise harder and get on the field from Week 1 and then we'll see

Odom - I'd be up for cutting him, seems like injuries have followed him and I love our Fisher Price package.

Johnson - he is staying at DE, Zimmer has already confirmed this, admitted that he got carried way himself (then drafted Moch!!)

Victor Adenjayu - this guy didnt play a game let alone a snap...poor comment!

Peko - doesnt offer pash rush as he only plays 1st and 2nd downs. Love the guys leadership and feel he will have his best season ever this year.

Tank has got to step up. I really like Sims but has to be more consistent. New Orleans 4 and 1 play with 2 mins left absolutely killed me and typified our play last year!

Geno - haven't found a single Bengals who doesn't LOVE him. Plays hard and fast and is a genuine pass rush threat!

Fair regarding LBs, I personally expect us to get more out of Rey and Rivers this year ad believe that Dhani might be done in Cincy...time to move forward with youth!

Dont think he knows our CB class at all. JJoe is good in run support, Leon locates the ball very well and has good hands. Pacman was a really surprise for us last year and is switched on, he just got unlucky with his neck injury! Finally, to say the CB will struggle without JJoe is pretty obvious and he has to be our number one priority, worried he didnt attend workouts!

Fair assessment of Roy W and agree with Nelson report. Not sure you can say anything about Gibril Wilson as he hasnt played a game for us yet, he will be back though.

Ndukwe is inconsistent and Crocker is a banger who gets banged up too much, but a good leader!

Nice effort on the report but too many discrepancies and guesses for it to be informed journalism regarding the Bengals.
Old 17.06.2011, 09:26 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde203 View Post
He indeed does watch every game before writing the articles.
are you friends with him MDE, did you watch every game as well?!
Old 18.06.2011, 10:02 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman86 View Post
are you friends with him MDE, did you watch every game as well?!
No I don't know the guy, but I've seen before that he watches each game before writing these articles. I did indeed watch every game, but during the season and not recently.
Old 18.06.2011, 10:24 AM
Team Captain

With regards to the Palmer comment I meant that if he knows where the blitzer or the pressure is coming from he does a good job getting rid of the ball. A few times I saw guys come relatively clean, I assume Palmer didn't think they were coming and he hesitates or makes a poor decision as a result.
The team didn't throw to Benson because he isn't very effective as a receiver. I have said before if a back is an asset in the passing game he will be used consistently.
Quickness and speed are two different things. When I say quickness I am referring to the ability to change direction and accelerate.
With Shipley, he will get the Y.A.C but he isn't the fastest guy. He has some elusiveness but who doesn't? He gets Y.A.C because of his role.
I agree the sample size is too small on Caldwell and Simpson, I am going from what a friend has told me about them, he saw them in pre season and follows the team fairly avidly so I trust his opinion.
By a more rounded alternative I mean a second tight end who can block effectively and offer something in the pass game. I have no problems with the guys they have beyond the fact they are one dimensional.
Much appreciated thoughts. I am not an expert on every team so mistakes will happen unfortunately with backups and such, if I double/triple check the lineup each play I will take significantly longer to do the things and at the minute I cannot afford that much time.
As I said I like Atkins but I didn't see him as effective as the rest of Bengals world it seems.
I never criticised Josephs run support, he is good in that regard, just said it isn't yet there with some of the absolute top guys. Hall had a few plays last season where I felt if he had located the ball earlier he could have been in better position to take it away. When I say comment on someones hands it is because I expect them to catch everything.
Thanks for the detailed response, I try to just say what I saw. No point quoting stats, they are all over the internet, I do my best keeping track of backups but it can be tough and I am afraid I will make mistakes, all I can do is apoligise and hope I get better over time.
Old 18.06.2011, 10:49 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conboy View Post
With regards to the Palmer comment I meant that if he knows where the blitzer or the pressure is coming from he does a good job getting rid of the ball. A few times I saw guys come relatively clean, I assume Palmer didn't think they were coming and he hesitates or makes a poor decision as a result.
The team didn't throw to Benson because he isn't very effective as a receiver. I have said before if a back is an asset in the passing game he will be used consistently.
Quickness and speed are two different things. When I say quickness I am referring to the ability to change direction and accelerate.
With Shipley, he will get the Y.A.C but he isn't the fastest guy. He has some elusiveness but who doesn't? He gets Y.A.C because of his role.
I agree the sample size is too small on Caldwell and Simpson, I am going from what a friend has told me about them, he saw them in pre season and follows the team fairly avidly so I trust his opinion.
By a more rounded alternative I mean a second tight end who can block effectively and offer something in the pass game. I have no problems with the guys they have beyond the fact they are one dimensional.
Much appreciated thoughts. I am not an expert on every team so mistakes will happen unfortunately with backups and such, if I double/triple check the lineup each play I will take significantly longer to do the things and at the minute I cannot afford that much time.
As I said I like Atkins but I didn't see him as effective as the rest of Bengals world it seems.
I never criticised Josephs run support, he is good in that regard, just said it isn't yet there with some of the absolute top guys. Hall had a few plays last season where I felt if he had located the ball earlier he could have been in better position to take it away. When I say comment on someones hands it is because I expect them to catch everything.
Thanks for the detailed response, I try to just say what I saw. No point quoting stats, they are all over the internet, I do my best keeping track of backups but it can be tough and I am afraid I will make mistakes, all I can do is apoligise and hope I get better over time.
With Atkins, I agree. A lot of people do seem to see him as being a lot more than he was last year. Last year he looked good getting into the backfield, but (from memory, I'd have to go back and watch the games to be entirely sure!) he seemed to either get there too late or get there and not make the hit for whatever reason. It was good to see some interior pressure on third down, but there is still a lot of work to be done there.

Agreed on the tight end as well. I like both Gresham and Kelly, they do a good job of what they are asked to do, but they are both very one dimensional. If Reggie Kelly gets a catch you'll tend to double-take, and Gresham is not ideal blocking. However, that will come for sure, blocking can be taught, and someone with his size will be fine.
Old 18.06.2011, 11:11 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conboy View Post
Thank you for your response, its not often you see someone on forums back up claims that they have made with fair comments. It is no doubt a tough thing to scout to that level of detail but if you want to do this full time then you need to make sure you make opinions on what you see and not what your friend has seen. I think you're talented and clearly incredibly passionate so I'm glad you're taking this on board! As the lads will tell you I like to play Devils advocate so dont take my comments too harshly.

The comment on Palmer is fine but not sure other than maybe Brady that any QB handles blind pressure well. I think Ced didnt help himself last year, fumble on two occasions receiving the ball last year so was limited in that respect, especially considering the rest of the "weapons" we had to get it too as well. I think you make fair comments on Shipley but I think if you scheme him differently we will see the speed he had at Texas. Gresham is not one dimensional...we will see that this year. I think in the west coast offense we will have next year then you will see Gresham explode further. He had 52 catches last year and I'm sure he'll have more next year!

I'm not sure you have seen enough of Atkins to say that fairly say that (you too MDE). Watching him in pre-season and during the games (he only really played on 3rd downs and towards the end of the season) and I love him. He'll get bigger in the off season and will be really useful next year. I do feel that we could do with another pass rushing threat at DT. Hall and Joseph are my boys and I no doubt have them in higher regard that others but they're the best AFC tandem at CB. I feel that early in the season, if we'd got pressure on the QB they would have got many more picks.

Finally, it'd be great to go over the games with you to work out what you're seeing versus me because its great to see someone from a team have strong opinions on my team.

We're by no means a bad side just inconsistent and poorly coached particularly on offense. I like that Lewis is back and I dont like that he's back if you get me. You need consistency and this is definitely his team now so I'm hoping for a winning season. I truly think we can beat every team in our division and have a go.
Old 18.06.2011, 11:50 AM
MVP

Rather interestingly on the tight ends, reading a Pro Football Focus article regarding pass blocking efficiency, Jermaine Gresham was in on 70 pass blocking snaps in 2010, and gave up 4 pressures (ranking 14th in the league in terms of pass blocking efficiency). Reggie Kelly was in on 78 and gave up 5, a worse performance.

In fact, in the previous three years, Kelly ranks 15th in these terms, so 2010 was a particularly poor year for him if you go by these stats......
Old 18.06.2011, 11:54 AM
MVP

To add to the above, Bobbie Williams played 660 pass blocking snaps, and gave up just 11 disruptions in 2010.