Leadership - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Baltimore Ravens

Old 27.09.2013, 09:15 AM
All Pro

Default Leadership

I guess you guys have read all about Rays comments about the lack of leadership in the current team. I've read a bunch of articles now and it seems like he's done it on purpose, kind of like a challenge to the senior guys in that locker room saying come on now you guys need to fill these boots!

He seems to have certainly got the attention of a few. Is Lewis still motivating even from retirement? Or his he just being a royal pain in the a$$?

At first I thought his comments where a little out of order. But the more I read and think about it the more I feel He's actually planted the seed for these current 'leaders' to flourish. He's either a genius or a mad man!
Old 27.09.2013, 09:32 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdo52 View Post
He's either a genius or a mad man!
Maybe both....
Old 27.09.2013, 10:45 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
Maybe both....
There is a thin line between the both I suppose.
Old 27.09.2013, 12:34 PM
Pro Bowler

Must say I was a little mixed about what he said but he is Mr Baltimore so I think he is trying to motivate the team by calling them out the way he has.

Whilst it was clear that when Lewis was on the team that he and Reed were the leaders Its probably not as clear now who is a leader amongst them. Would have thought players like Sizzle Doom and Ngata would have been the leaders with Sizzle being the one that makes the most noise about it like Lewis. Probably can't discount Joe aswell.
Old 27.09.2013, 01:41 PM
Pro

I don't think there was anything deliberately sinister in Ray's comments; he still visibly loves the team and wants them to succeed. That said, his comments were a little bizarre, and he certainly could have worded it better. Ray was a one-off guy, though; there will never be another one like him.

For me, the whole 'leadership' thing - or lack thereof - is completely overblown. We have plenty of blue collar guys there who are model pros on and off the field. Just because they may lack the same type of intensity that Ray showed, it doesn't make them any less respected or make them any less of a leader.

It's just the sports media showing the reigning defending Superbowl champs a lack of respect and looking for a juicy headline, as they often do.
Old 29.09.2013, 01:33 PM
All Pro

Players certainly didn't like the comments, not too sure what to make of it tbh...

Agree with Woolfc about the media making something out of nothing with regards to the ledaership debate, if our group of players played for someone else the argument wouldn't even exist, it is purely because we've moved away from Ray and Reed that it comes up. There's no leadership void, just a change of style...