Bye Week - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Baltimore Ravens

Old 25.10.2013, 01:36 PM
Rookie

Default Bye Week

Never has a bye week been more needed...

Flacco is trying but has limited resources, the Defense is doing well rushing the QB but coverage is poor, the run game is virtually non existant and the offensive line is undergoing a restructure.

Fair enough some players are playing with niggles but so do most teams. At 3-4 something is obviously not quite right, whether it be Juan Castillo and his running game or some of the new recruits not being good enough (I'm looking at you Michael Huff)

Question is at 3-4 what can you see the Ravens doing for the remaining games?

Sun, 3 Nov @ Browns
Sun, 10 Nov vs. Bengals
Sun, 17 Nov @ Bears
Sun, 24 Nov vs. Jets
Fri, 29 Nov vs. Steelers
Sun, 8 Dec vs. Vikings
Tue, 17 Dec @ Lions
Mon, 23 Dec vs. Patriots
Sun, 29 Dec @ Bengals
Old 25.10.2013, 01:57 PM
Pro Bowler

If we can get the O Line playing as they can (and with better play calling) and the secondary developing as they play together, there is no reason why we couldn't go 6-0 in our next 6 games, looking at the schedule. Bungles will be tricky but being at home we should be able to take it.

Should we manage that then 9-4 would stand us in good stead for the playoffs despite the extremely tough last 3 games.

Obviously it's a big if as very little progress has been made so far, but defensively we've not given up too many points, the big issue is scoring them.
Old 25.10.2013, 02:41 PM
MVP

Although things seem like a mess at the moment, I think we could right the ship with just a couple of moves and be a serious play-off contender again.

The two moves I'd like to see us make are.............

1. Change the blocking scheme for the O-Line
2. Pick up Josh Gordon from the Browns

We HAVE to do something about the offensive line. If we don't, we're sunk. We are not a team that can win without a running game. I believe the personnel on the offensive line is good enough, with the possible exception of Gino Gradkowski, so the problem has to be schematic. Change the scheme and things should improve.

Josh Gordon would be a great pickup for us. He has a boatload of talent and he also has the speed to be a deep threat, which would make him a good fit for Jim Caldwell's offense. There are some character issues with him but hopefully playing on a team that actually has a shot at winning would encourage him to knuckle down a bit. We NEED a wide receiver, I don't believe we can go all the way with what we have. Of the wide receivers that are out there and available, Gordon is the cream of the crop. Kenny Britt is crap and Hakeem Nicks looks a shadow of his former self. Gordon would probably cost us a 2nd round draft pick but that's a price I'd pay.

I really think if we made these two moves we'd see a dramatic improvement in the second half of the season.
Old 25.10.2013, 04:42 PM
Pro Bowler

I'm not convinced we need to upgrade the WR corps. Whilst they're not perfect we have far bigger problems, and with the return of Jones and the continuing progress of Marlon Brown, I think we'll be fine there.
Old 25.10.2013, 04:58 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyshaps View Post
I'm not convinced we need to upgrade the WR corps. Whilst they're not perfect we have far bigger problems, and with the return of Jones and the continuing progress of Marlon Brown, I think we'll be fine there.
Agreed.

It sounds like there was some schematic changes for the Pittsburgh game so hopefully further changes are made over the bye week. Personally, I'd like to see us go out and get someone like M. Turner. Not suggesting he'd be the #2 RB or have many carries but I'd like a back who I can trust to convert those 3rd and 1, 4th and 1 situations that we seem to be failing 9/10 attempts. I get some will put it on the O-line but even with a crappy O-line Rice and Pierce should be converting them but they aren't. I just feel it's worth bringing in an FA power back and see what happens (especially since we have a free roster spot)
Old 25.10.2013, 05:21 PM
MVP

Quote:
I disagree. Other than our offensive line, I don't think we have any problem that is more pressing than the lack of quality in our receiving core.
Old 25.10.2013, 06:36 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus corax View Post
I disagree. Other than our offensive line, I don't think we have any problem that is more pressing than the lack of quality in our receiving core.
The front 7 seems to be getting bossed around in the run game recently (particularly the trenches), lack of turnovers are both killing us at the moment.

No drops from recievers vs Pittsburgh, Jacoby and Brown both look good (not to mention Doss actually showing some promise). The TE's are a bigger problem then WRs if I'm honest but both seem to be improving recently and there are promising signs on the Pitta front (wishful thinking but we could see him back by Wk10, 11 or 12 more realistic).
Old 26.10.2013, 05:28 PM
Pro Bowler

In terms of problems facing the team at the moment, I would class WR's below the:
1. O Line- not a lot more needs saying on this.
2. Running backs- O Line's not helping, but neither Rice or Pierce are playing well. Genuinely worried about Rice, he's getting brought down too easily and hasn't been great even when he's been out in space. Dropped some easy passes too.
3. Play calling- at least there were promising signs in Pittsburgh. Less 3rd and 8's, anyway.
4. Run D- We've made some no marks look like Pro Bowlers so far, and it cost us against GB.
5. Secondary- I chalk this down to inexperience largely, but Graham has been awful.
6. TE's- Clark has shown some good signs last 2 weeks after bad start, as has Dickson, but we need more reliability from them. Pitta could even return before too long.

I know some are worried about Flacco's play, but Buffalo debacle aside, I think he's actually playing very well all things considered, and he will improve if even just a couple of the above issues do.

Last edited by mikeyshaps; 26.10.2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 28.10.2013, 10:19 PM
All Pro

I think both our lines and running game need massive improvement.
Old 29.10.2013, 09:21 AM
All Pro

Quote:
In terms of problems facing the team at the moment, I would class WR's below the:
1. O Line- not a lot more needs saying on this.
2. Running backs- O Line's not helping, but neither Rice or Pierce are playing well. Genuinely worried about Rice, he's getting brought down too easily and hasn't been great even when he's been out in space. Dropped some easy passes too.
3. Play calling- at least there were promising signs in Pittsburgh. Less 3rd and 8's, anyway.
4. Run D- We've made some no marks look like Pro Bowlers so far, and it cost us against GB.
5. Secondary- I chalk this down to inexperience largely, but Graham has been awful.
6. TE's- Clark has shown some good signs last 2 weeks after bad start, as has Dickson, but we need more reliability from them. Pitta could even return before too long.

I know some are worried about Flacco's play, but Buffalo debacle aside, I think he's actually playing very well all things considered, and he will improve if even just a couple of the above issues do.
Cant believe more people haven't been talking about how poor we've been against the run. Especially with the additions to our D Line. Pittsburgh runners had avg. something like 60yds a game then they go for 100+ on us.