Club Wembley - a note of caution - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2018 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 26.08.2018, 12:19 PM
Starter

Send a message via ICQ to DavidLF
Default Club Wembley - a note of caution

I was at Wembley yesterday for the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final. I sat in Club Wembley as I have done before for the CC and for a long time with NFL games. Yesterday was the worst expereince to date and by some distance. Bear in mind it was a 55,000 crowd so not overwhelming! The number of areas that were closed was high - merchandise etc. The bars were massively understaffed and it took ages to get served. From half-time onwards a good number were running out of beer! Then to cap it, at full-time bars were closing and not serving those who planned to stay behind after for the usual 1 hour+ which is a significant benefit of CW to me, to let queues subside on Wembley Way. I think there was only 1 main bar partly open (The one on the way out near section 202 (?) I was in there and as well as taking ages to get served they ran out of a variety of beers. Finally, there used to be a lot of screens around to watch while you wait but I didn't see any yesterday.
So, CW seems to have taken a bit of a step away from what it originally promised to be, but obviously prices have stayed the same.
I thought it would be useful to share this experience if only to temper expectations for October.
I'll share this with CW but i suspect I'll get no response from them
Sponsored Links
Old 30.08.2018, 09:23 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLF View Post
I was at Wembley yesterday for the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final. I sat in Club Wembley as I have done before for the CC and for a long time with NFL games. Yesterday was the worst expereince to date and by some distance. Bear in mind it was a 55,000 crowd so not overwhelming! The number of areas that were closed was high - merchandise etc. The bars were massively understaffed and it took ages to get served. From half-time onwards a good number were running out of beer! Then to cap it, at full-time bars were closing and not serving those who planned to stay behind after for the usual 1 hour+ which is a significant benefit of CW to me, to let queues subside on Wembley Way. I think there was only 1 main bar partly open (The one on the way out near section 202 (?) I was in there and as well as taking ages to get served they ran out of a variety of beers. Finally, there used to be a lot of screens around to watch while you wait but I didn't see any yesterday.
So, CW seems to have taken a bit of a step away from what it originally promised to be, but obviously prices have stayed the same.
I thought it would be useful to share this experience if only to temper expectations for October.
I'll share this with CW but i suspect I'll get no response from them
Might be due to low attendance. I don't follow rugby league due to not living 10 miles either side of a stretch of motorway (jokes...sort of), but is it normally half full or was it just cos there was an overseas team in it this time? I was at Wembley for Spurs Fulham the other week and a few bars were closed as well (roughly 60k attendance) but when the stadium is full everything is open and I would expect that to be the case for the NFL.
Old 19.09.2018, 07:16 PM
Starter

I'm closer to the M25 than the M62 nowadays :-)
I've been to a few Challenge Cup Finals and this was just very quiet from a food and drink perspective but not the crowd - not sure whether it was due to the Catalans being there and wrong assumptions being made. Hopefully not a portent of what is to come in October though.
Old 12.10.2018, 06:24 AM
Rookie

Default CW access

I’ve just noticed this year CW access has been reduced by an hour. Gates previously opened 3 hours prior to kick off, this year it’s 2. Bit poor as I always liked that benefit.
Old 13.10.2018, 02:47 PM
Starter

Thanks for the post as I hadn't even noticed!
Will be interesting what the whole "experience" is like tomorrow then.............