Building Developments @ Tailgate Wembley - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2018 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 29.08.2018, 11:26 PM
Pro

Default Building Developments @ Tailgate Wembley

Having just attended the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final at Wembley on Saturday, I return with dismay that the iconic stadium is now shrouded by the shells of new buildings.

The ground previously used extensively for tailgating looks to be completely taken away replaced by sprouting high rise developments.

The Wembley experience was good especially over Twickenham, because of the feeling of space which emphasised the gradeour of the stadium itself. The was a real positive of the Wembley experience and I wonder what contingency is being put in place.

Also on site parking is now at its closest using the local shopping multi-storey, rather than on the stadium ground level.

Wembley once stood out amongst the local skyline now the arch is is about all that can be seen and then only from a distance.

A real disappointment and a sad endictment of needing to turn spare land into money.
Sponsored Links
Old 30.08.2018, 01:44 PM
Pro

Another 10+ blocks still to go. Where the kids playground was will be a building site soon if not already.

My mate is the logistics manager for the whole development so knows most of the comings and goings around the stadium.

Eventually the twin walkway is going to be removed
Old 30.08.2018, 06:01 PM
Rookie

In addition to turning spare land into money, it is also turning spare land into much needed housing. The area was previously just a land of carparks for a stadium which sees relatively low-use, hardly a beautiful site back in the day despite the iconic location. The new blocks are being built awfully close to the stadium though, it will feel very caged up walking around the concourse.

The playground is being replaced with another playground to the east of the current ramps (which themselves will be replaced with steps pending approval).

The previously used tailgate location (the Yellow Car Park) is still available for the Tailgate and will most likely be used again this year. It is also still available for parking generally, although for the NFL it is not used due to the tailgate.

They are building another car park to the south of the stadium and the newer blocks coming up to the North East of the stadium will encompass some kind of car park with level access to the stadium.

The plan is to also develop the current tailgate space within the next few years although until the other car parks are in place that is unlikely going to happen.

I've read that they will be looking at spaces within the upcoming Boxpark or down Wembley Way/Olympic Way itself for general fan events since it is being widened and cleaned up and the ramps are being removed.
Old 30.08.2018, 08:59 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider ecosse View Post
A real disappointment and a sad endictment of needing to turn spare land into money.
Christ... spare land needs to be turned into housing and facilities. Flats, offices, shops and other facilities. London needs more housing. People don't like building on the green belt around London, so your grubby expanse of concrete and tarmac for an occasional tailgate will have to do.

Personally I'd hate to live there because of the crowds on match days, but for those who don't mind or perhaps who don't have much choice it's as good a place as any for new building. It's got a lot of brownfield wasteland, it's right on the tube and you can get into central London quickly.

Tailgating doesn't work here anyway as I've said countless times. This is one area where our culture and American culture differ massively. They all get in their cars and drive to stadiums in the complete middle of nowhere surrounded by nothing but parking lots. They have to tailgate as there are no bars, shops, restaurants etc around. We arrive on public transport at stadiums in the middle of busy areas, sometimes residential, sometimes industrial, but absolutely not in the middle of nowhere. Bars, restaurants, fast food shops aplenty. Or if you prefer, eat and drink in central London and hop on the tube. But you probably won't be bringing your own BBQ equipment and corn hole games with you. You can't really compare it. Putting something on in Trafalgar Square or whatever makes more sense.

Last edited by European Bob; 30.08.2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 30.08.2018, 09:09 PM
MVP

https://footballtripper.com/wp-conte...y-stadium1.jpg

How Wembley used to be. Concrete yards just filled with coaches and cars on match day.
Old 30.08.2018, 09:17 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili View Post
In addition to turning spare land into money, it is also turning spare land into much needed housing. The area was previously just a land of carparks for a stadium which sees relatively low-use, hardly a beautiful site back in the day despite the iconic location. The new blocks are being built awfully close to the stadium though, it will feel very caged up walking around the concourse.

The playground is being replaced with another playground to the east of the current ramps (which themselves will be replaced with steps pending approval).

The previously used tailgate location (the Yellow Car Park) is still available for the Tailgate and will most likely be used again this year. It is also still available for parking generally, although for the NFL it is not used due to the tailgate.

They are building another car park to the south of the stadium and the newer blocks coming up to the North East of the stadium will encompass some kind of car park with level access to the stadium.

The plan is to also develop the current tailgate space within the next few years although until the other car parks are in place that is unlikely going to happen.

I've read that they will be looking at spaces within the upcoming Boxpark or down Wembley Way/Olympic Way itself for general fan events since it is being widened and cleaned up and the ramps are being removed.
Gotta say that as a regular visitor to Wembley (NFL, Spurs) I don't like the idea of steps instead of that ramp. Just seems dangerous when you have such a big crowd, people will trip and fall down them as you can't see what is ahead of you.

I avoid Wembley Way at all costs on the walk back to the tube and can't see that changing.
Old 31.08.2018, 11:52 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
…. Tailgating doesn't work here anyway as I've said countless times. This is one area where our culture and American culture differ massively. They all get in their cars and drive to stadiums in the complete middle of nowhere surrounded by nothing but parking lots. They have to tailgate as there are no bars, shops, restaurants etc around. We arrive on public transport at stadiums in the middle of busy areas, sometimes residential, sometimes industrial, but absolutely not in the middle of nowhere. Bars, restaurants, fast food shops aplenty....

To a certain extent it depends on the sport. Rugby Union has a history of pre-match fan zones where supporters of all teams and none talk the game , enjoy the big screen reviews and the player interviews with a pint and burger in hand - unheard of in football. I thought the Twickenham tailgate was pretty good. Wembley on the other hand was completely dire and not worth the wait to get in - so I won't be bothering again regardless of which open space or car park is used.
Old 31.08.2018, 03:58 PM
All Pro

I can't say I'm disappointed, the "tailgate" was rubbish. A few bars, shops and novelty games were fine when it was a new thing in town, but the lack of effort to turn it into something interesting was obvious.

Ultimately the new housing is more beneficial than some empty space which was badly used
Old 31.08.2018, 04:01 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili View Post
The new blocks are being built awfully close to the stadium though, it will feel very caged up walking around the concourse.
The Bernabeu in Madrid is similar in being closely surrounded, it's a complete non issue.