Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 278 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

  #2771  
Old 05.04.2009, 03:36 PM
slayerfest's Avatar
slayerfest slayerfest is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 06.09.2006
Posts: 47
Default

What i want to know is apart from the deep threat No.1 wide receiver, why is everyone in the media beating down on da bears over the cutler trade. We've got a first class running back who can catch. Two good quality tight ends and a potential deep threat in Devin Hester. Maybe we need an experienced one to add to the pack, but we can still get a good quality wide out in the draft. Like Angelo did with berrian.

The options for cutler aren't as bad as all the media make it out to be. Especially if pace and williams solidify the offensive line next season.
Reply With Quote
  #2772  
Old 08.04.2009, 07:41 PM
Razors Edge's Avatar
Razors Edge Razors Edge is offline
GOAT
 
Join Date: 13.11.2005
Posts: 21,295
Default

Paging eatme, paging eatme.

Get in touch ASAP.
Reply With Quote
  #2773  
Old 09.04.2009, 07:50 AM
olig23's Avatar
olig23 olig23 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 16.07.2005
Posts: 4,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerfest View Post
What i want to know is apart from the deep threat No.1 wide receiver, why is everyone in the media beating down on da bears over the cutler trade. We've got a first class running back who can catch. Two good quality tight ends and a potential deep threat in Devin Hester. Maybe we need an experienced one to add to the pack, but we can still get a good quality wide out in the draft. Like Angelo did with berrian.

The options for cutler aren't as bad as all the media make it out to be. Especially if pace and williams solidify the offensive line next season.
Personally, I don't think the media are down on the Bears with regard to this trade. From everything I have seen or read it seems the perception is that this could be a good deal for both teams. Obviously time will tell on that.

I think there are a lot of positives and negatives to getting Cutler. He gives the offence an immediate boost and a chance to win. However, if he doesn't perform we have lost quite a lot with key players who are getting older it miight lead to us having a poorer team down the line if things do not work out on offence. The only real way we can judge this trade is by seeing how it works out. Denver need to make good choices with their draft picks and Chicago need Cutler to perform. On paper both teams got a good deal.
Reply With Quote
  #2774  
Old 09.04.2009, 12:12 PM
SAFCBear's Avatar
SAFCBear SAFCBear is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 28.07.2004
Posts: 1,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
The acquisition is obviously a good one. However, it could really hurt us down the line and it is a big risk. People need to realise that losing first round picks for two year means we are literally banking on Chris Williams being productive and Earl Bennett as well. Cutler will be great imo but we still need to draft other players and the first round is place to do that.

By the time we next have a first round pick Alex Brown, Adwele Ogunleye, Lance Briggs, Brian Urlacher, Charles Tillman and Olin Kreutz will all be getting up in years and it is vastly important to ensure we don't improve the offence at the expense of not maintaining the defence in the long term.
I'm not sure it (giving up the two firsts) does hurt us down the line, we are very poor at picking talent in the first (in recent history I can only really think of Urlacher that has played up to the billing, Tommy Harris started fine but has dropped off, Olsen is progressing nicely and the jury is out on Williams but the rest were flat out busts in Chi town).

Admittedly the above in your list will/may need replacing in the coming years but again other than Urlacher, none were picked any higher than the second round - i think Ogun may have even been undrafted.

I think that JA has shown that he can pick up talent on D in the later rounds so I'm pretty happy that this deal makes sense and should improve us long term.
Reply With Quote
  #2775  
Old 09.04.2009, 12:14 PM
SAFCBear's Avatar
SAFCBear SAFCBear is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 28.07.2004
Posts: 1,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
Personally, I don't think the media are down on the Bears with regard to this trade. From everything I have seen or read it seems the perception is that this could be a good deal for both teams. Obviously time will tell on that.

I think there are a lot of positives and negatives to getting Cutler. He gives the offence an immediate boost and a chance to win. However, if he doesn't perform we have lost quite a lot with key players who are getting older it miight lead to us having a poorer team down the line if things do not work out on offence. The only real way we can judge this trade is by seeing how it works out. Denver need to make good choices with their draft picks and Chicago need Cutler to perform. On paper both teams got a good deal.
That about sums things up.

It could go pear shaped or be the making of both teams - we won't know until 2 or 3 years.
Reply With Quote
  #2776  
Old 09.04.2009, 12:53 PM
JeromeNeil's Avatar
JeromeNeil JeromeNeil is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 05.02.2008
Posts: 1,258
Default

Imagine the crowd noise when 'Midway Jay' steps out of the tunnel for the first time at Soldier Field.
Reply With Quote
  #2777  
Old 14.04.2009, 01:04 PM
terry's Avatar
terry terry is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 25.10.2004
Posts: 3,362
Default

well we have the easiest schedule this year but still have to play 7 playoff teams....
Reply With Quote
  #2778  
Old 14.04.2009, 05:48 PM
JeromeNeil's Avatar
JeromeNeil JeromeNeil is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 05.02.2008
Posts: 1,258
Default

Swap Detroit out, we've got one of the harder schedules in the league.
Reply With Quote
  #2779  
Old 14.04.2009, 05:50 PM
terry's Avatar
terry terry is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 25.10.2004
Posts: 3,362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeNeil View Post
Swap Detroit out, we've got one of the harder schedules in the league.
i thought that too........but is down as the easiest.
Reply With Quote
  #2780  
Old 14.04.2009, 07:43 PM
slayerfest's Avatar
slayerfest slayerfest is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 06.09.2006
Posts: 47
Default

The teams we play in the season have the following place in the draft pick, based on their highest pick if they have more then one

1 Lions (0-16) twice
2 Rams (2-14)
4 Seahawks (4-12)
5 Browns (4-12)
6 Bengals (4-11-1)
9 Packers (6-10-0) twice
10 49ers (7-9-1)

No team from 11-20
Then seven playoff teams and all four Conference Finalists(we're the only team to face all of them too)

21 Eagles (9-6-1)
22 Vikings (10-6-0) twice
24 Falcons (11-5-0)
26 Ravens (11-5-0)
31 Cardinals (9-7-0)
32 Steelers (12-4-0)

So although it looks easy in percentage terms, there are some tough teams that made the playoffs too.

7 Games against playoff teams and 9 games against losing records. No average teams (.500+ but not in playoffs) in between like ourselves.

Can't wait for the season though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 11:21 AM.