Old 22.03.2009, 08:02 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
no another top WR mate.........but on the bench

who is? who is on the bench..
Old 22.03.2009, 08:04 PM
All Pro

sorry mate I was talking about Earl Bennett at WR........
Old 22.03.2009, 08:06 PM
All Pro

I think Bennet will come good this coming season..
Old 22.03.2009, 08:08 PM
All Pro

here you go mate...

Earl Bennett Needs Better Study HabitsBears WR admits to not knowing playbook last season

By TOM FORNELLI

Updated 4:45 PM CDT, Thu, Mar 19, 2009

[IMG]http://media.nbcchicago.com/images/300*168/earlbennettplaybook.jpg[/IMG]

Bennett believes Kyle Orton should draw the plays on his hand while in the huddle

Last season one of the biggest problems the Chicago Bears had as an offense was finding a wide receiver. It's because of this why so many fans have been clamoring for the team to go after Anquan Boldin or draft Darrius Heyward-Bey in the first round of the NFL draft this spring. Of course the Bears did draft a wide receiver in last year's draft, and he turned out to be one of the biggest mysteries of the season.

Jerry Angelo took Earl Bennett out of Vanderbilt in the third round, yet fans were baffled all season while wondering why the SEC's all time leader in receptions never saw any action on the field. He couldn't have been any worse than Rashied Davis or a rapidly aging Marty Booker could he?

Well, Bennett let the cat out of the bag on Wednesday. The reason he never got any playing time? Well, you kind of have to know the plays to run them.

"I struggled [learning] the plays last year," Bennett admitted. "I was lethargic because of it. It probably took me until Week 6, Week 7 to pick them up. Toward the end, I started grasping the concepts. Once you put things aside and just play, you can play a lot faster."

Other things that Bennett forgot last season that kept him from seeing the field? In Week 4 he left his helmet at the laundromat, and then there was that Week 15 game in which he forgot where the Bears played.

What we don't understand is how somebody who went to a fine school like Vanderbilt -- it's the Harvard of Tennessee -- would have such trouble learning the Bears playbook. Especially when anybody who has watched the Bears knows that there can only be five, six plays tops in there.
Related Stories

There's run up the middle, run right, run left, the five yard hitch route to the tight end, the one where Devin Hester runs the fly route and Kyle Orton overthrows him, and punt. That's it. It took Earl seven weeks to figure that out?

Along with writing for NBCCHICAGO.com, Tom Fornelli can also be found contributing at FanHouse, SPORTSbyBROOKS, and his own Chicago sports blog Foul Balls.

Copyright NBC Local Media
Old 23.03.2009, 10:43 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiBear View Post
Other things that Bennett forgot last season that kept him from seeing the field? In Week 4 he left his helmet at the laundromat, and then there was that Week 15 game in which he forgot where the Bears played.
??????????
Old 23.03.2009, 11:06 AM
*Big H*

Just a question, would you guys take Heyward-Bey as 1st round pick or you think there's more pressing positions to go for, i.e. Tackle etc?!
Old 23.03.2009, 03:25 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiBear View Post
I think Bennet will come good this coming season..
Certainly hope your right mate, let's get the guy on the field and see what he can do, no point having him sitting on the bench.
Old 23.03.2009, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Big H* View Post
Just a question, would you guys take Heyward-Bey as 1st round pick or you think there's more pressing positions to go for, i.e. Tackle etc?!
No...not for me anyway.

I think Hayward-Bey is potentially a bust myself.

His workouts seem to have pushed him into first round contention but to be honest his college production was not great. I see a second round player with an elite combine...not a good combination. He is very quick but so is Devin Hester.

If we are going to take a WR in the first (and I strongly doubt we will) I would take Maclin. I don't care that he is like Hester he is simply the second best receiver in the draft. Any other pick is a reach at #18. I don't want us to take Maclin, but then I don't think we should draft a receiver either.

The better scenario would be to take a o-lineman, Britton, Oher (if he slides in the wake of Oakland's and Jacksonville's signings). Then look for a receiver inn round two or three. Potentially, guys like Robiskie, Britt, Iglesias are still available and Robiskie would be a very good pick. Nicks has been mooted but I think he is a low first early second round guy who goes to the likes of NY or St Louis.

If I was to have a realistic draft board it might look like this:

R1
Michael Oher
Andre Smith
Ebon Britton
Aaron Maybin
Jeremy Maclin

R2
Nicks
Loadholt (if we don't take an OT in R1)
Unger
Robiskie
Britt
Iglesias
Old 23.03.2009, 08:57 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Big H* View Post

TBH I think we will go OT in the 1st and WR in the 2nd.... Brian Robiskie IMO