Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 276 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 03.04.2009, 10:02 AM
All Pro

A shock to be sure! I have been advocating the pursuit of an A-grade free agent (available player in this case) talent for years and finally we land a big one!

I still believe the price was/is too high. Orton being an important part of the deal is also surprising: I wonder how Broncos fans feel about him.

Obviously we have also now signed Pace which is another positive step; he will play left and Williams will learn his trade (for now) on the right.

Protecting Cutler is the priority on Offense. Our receiving corp are lacking: we all know that, but I believe Cutler can hit those field stretching passes that Orton missed time after time last season, which will make Hester more dangerous and by consequence loosen the opponents Defence for other players.

From where we lie in the draft order now, I think strengthening our D may be the way to go.

On a side note I think the Broncos will likely try to deal on day one to move up and take a QB.
Old 03.04.2009, 10:17 AM
All Pro

My thoughts:

Firstly, I'm over the moon that we got Cutler, and all things considered, I don't think we paid over the odds.
Given our history successful high picks, I think going with proven quality makes a lot of sense. Pace should be able to fill the LOT role that Williams or this years 1st pick would take until we get another high pick, and Schaffer is also on the scene when needed.
If we take a WR in round 2, and possibly look at bringing in another FA WR, we will be in a much, much stronger position than last season.

Pace, Beekman, Kreutz, Garza, Williams/Schaffer looks stronger than what we previously had, and should provide more protection for Cutler.
Old 03.04.2009, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by payton3434 View Post
A shock to be sure! I have been advocating the pursuit of an A-grade free agent (available player in this case) talent for years and finally we land a big one!

I still believe the price was/is too high. Orton being an important part of the deal is also surprising: I wonder how Broncos fans feel about him.

Obviously we have also now signed Pace which is another positive step; he will play left and Williams will learn his trade (for now) on the right.

Protecting Cutler is the priority on Offense. Our receiving corp are lacking: we all know that, but I believe Cutler can hit those field stretching passes that Orton missed time after time last season, which will make Hester more dangerous and by consequence loosen the opponents Defence for other players.

From where we lie in the draft order now, I think strengthening our D may be the way to go.

On a side note I think the Broncos will likely try to deal on day one to move up and take a QB.
Williams will be backup. He cannot possibly play RT he is possibly the worst suited RT I could imagine. I can see them using him as a blocking TE as they did at times towards the end of last season. He might play RT in obvious passing downs but he is not big enough or physical enough to be full time RT.
Old 03.04.2009, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dux783 View Post
My thoughts:

Firstly, I'm over the moon that we got Cutler, and all things considered, I don't think we paid over the odds.
The acquisition is obviously a good one. However, it could really hurt us down the line and it is a big risk. People need to realise that losing first round picks for two year means we are literally banking on Chris Williams being productive and Earl Bennett as well. Cutler will be great imo but we still need to draft other players and the first round is place to do that.

By the time we next have a first round pick Alex Brown, Adwele Ogunleye, Lance Briggs, Brian Urlacher, Charles Tillman and Olin Kreutz will all be getting up in years and it is vastly important to ensure we don't improve the offence at the expense of not maintaining the defence in the long term.
Old 03.04.2009, 10:29 AM
All Pro

over the moon also fellow bears...need another WR so jay can go to.....happy days..
Old 03.04.2009, 11:31 AM
All Pro

Cutler, Forte, Bennett and Hester.... add Olsen at TE and a Rookie WR and suddenly our O looks dangerous... Honestly Bennett will end up really good with Cutler throwing to him!!
Old 03.04.2009, 11:52 AM
All Pro

hope so.........
Old 03.04.2009, 12:11 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITYOFDENVER View Post
looks good, are you trying to be as cool and Jim McMahon with your smileys with shades on. I remember Jim McMahon used to chew gum and look so cool with his shades on.
Jim McMahon is history mate, Cutler is the future........THE FUTURE'S BRIGHT, THE FUTURE'S ORANGE AND BLUE. Chicago Orange and Blue.
Old 03.04.2009, 12:52 PM
All Pro

Great deal by the Bears to get Cutler on board. The Bears will hopefully look back on this deal and say the two 1st round picks were more than worth it. Cutler is a rare talent. The only thing he needs in Chicago is a go-to receiver.
Old 03.04.2009, 01:11 PM
Pro Bowler

As a Broncos fan I have to say the deal seems fair to both sides. That is why fans of both teams are divided about who came out best.

We got value for a player who wanted out. Moved him the the NFC to avoid regular meetings (although the Cutler Bowl Super Bowl has a ring to it)

It is obvious Orton is not as good as Cutler hence the exchange of draft picks. But the question is can he he do enough in Denver to get the job done. Given we have a better line and receivers then yes. Hopefully we can seriously upgrade our defense so the offense doesn't need to outscore the opposition like last season.

You have a good player in Cutler. Protect him well as Rex is his back up. Mind you we could use a high pick in the 1st next season. Here is hoping he comes good for you 2010/11 season onwards.

see you in the Superbowl