Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 328 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 26.11.2009, 10:32 AM
All Pro

well pointed out olig,

I know what you mean,but its not JA that's calling the dumb plays.Lovie IMO is to pigheaded for his own good,he wont listen to anybody else,his way or the highway.

Are Defense has gone down hill since he let Ron Rivera walk and now its even worse now that he is calling the shots.I think its time for a change,Lovies system isnt working no matter who we have on the team.Its old and ever team knows how to attack it.

But sadly I dont think Lovie or JA are going anywhere,so we will ride out this season with the hopes of things being fix in the off season,only to have the same old crap next year.
Old 26.11.2009, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiBear View Post
well pointed out olig,

I know what you mean,but its not JA that's calling the dumb plays.Lovie IMO is to pigheaded for his own good,he wont listen to anybody else,his way or the highway.

Are Defense has gone down hill since he let Ron Rivera walk and now its even worse now that he is calling the shots.I think its time for a change,Lovies system isnt working no matter who we have on the team.Its old and ever team knows how to attack it.

But sadly I dont think Lovie or JA are going anywhere,so we will ride out this season with the hopes of things being fix in the off season,only to have the same old crap next year.
I think it's tough to gauge exactly where the fault lies at times. I guess that is one argument for cleaning house but I just don't like the fact that Chicago try and do things properly and not just blame the next guy. I never rated Jauron or Wannestedt and some of our other HCs but I do think Lovie has some good qualities and I think that the defensive scheme has had more success than people think if you consider where we were when he took over.

The mistake I am keen to avoid is getting rid of Smith, thus creating a whole load of changes in personnel and scheme, and bringing in somebody who is no better. you see teams doing it all the time picking up the 'hot co-ordinator' be it Spagnulo, Mangini, Crennel, Raheem Morris, Rod Marinelli but there is clear and distinct pattern imo. Look at those names and hen some of the guys who worked - Tomilin, Harburgh, Jim Caldwell to name a few. They all inherited good teams without a huge hole it just shows how much it is about players imo. I think Lovie has shown by getting to the Superbowl that he has what it takes, assuming the talent is there.

However, GM that is whole different ballpark imo, massive! The Falcons and Mike Smith are for me a good example. Mike Smith is a good coach, better than Spagnulo? I don't know. However, he was going to inherit a bad team and I think Tom Dimitroff just knocked the ball out of he park with some his personnel decisions - Turner, Ryan are all great but it was the others I liked - Harry Douglas, Curtis Lofton, Kroy Bierman all good picks and more importantly they knew when it was time to let Keith Brooking, Lawyer Milloy, Michael Boley, Grady Jackson and others walk that is great work for the GM. If the Falcons do not succeed then I blame Smith and the players. However, they need the tools to succeed.

By contrast I wonder how many of those failed coaches would have had success in Pittsburgh like Tomlin, maybe not as much because I think Tomlin is he real deal but they draft and re-tool so well it's impossible to tell.

Imo Lovie has done well with poor-ish tools. We have no picks either so bringing in new guys for me doesn't help the situation. We are committed to this brand of Bears football (cover-2 and deep passes on offence) because we simply do not have any way of replacing enough guys not to play that way. We have loads of cover-2 only players and it's not like we can really do much other than use Knox and Hester to go deep - we have zero options.

conclusion - we could be in major trouble if we don't find so major gems on the second day next year and get Chris Williams, Earl Bennett, Gaines Adams and Jar'on Gilbert to play well - if we cannot do hat I think we are stuck in third in the NFC North for the next two seasons.

BTW I agree Lovie is stubborn and overly commited to the Tampa-2 - he signed Archuleta for god's sake but i think we HAVE TO stick with it for the next two seasons until we have draft picks again.

Last edited by olig23; 26.11.2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 30.11.2009, 12:58 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
Now we are well and truly out of the race for the playoffs is this not the time to beench one Orlando Pace? The guy can barely move move...

We drafted Chris Williams to play left tackle and while he has not perfromed at RT I see them as two different positions and Williams is most definitely a LT - he is not big enough imo to be any good at RT. Moreover, what is the point of not seeing how he gets on he cannot be worse than Pace and we are getting ahead of the game by finding out now.

To compound the issue we handed Frank Omiyale a reasonably large contract in the summer. We know he didn't cut it at guard and we also know he can play RT. His size is more suited to RT and he is better is pass pro than as a road grading run blocker, which is how we seemed to want to use him. I say we should try it to see exactly what we have in those two guys, Pace has to be gone anyway after the season.

I am reasonably happy with the interior line from last season. Kreutz is still a good pass blocker, although he does struggle against the bigger DTs vs the run. Beekman has improved over the last two games and Garza is solid if not great.

With you on Pace, you can't play tackle and be immobile, Pace just doesn't have it anymore.

LT/RT, it's like suddenly writing with your 'opposite' hand, you can kinda do it but it's a bit messy and might not feel natural, that's what Williams is going through at the moment, he could 'get there' but his natural position is on the left, that is where he should be, an experienced LT like Pace 'should' adapt quicker to the opposing side, but right now Pace shouldn't be playing Tackle.

Our Guards just aren't opening any holes at all, some have been pointing at Kruetz but he's the only OL person I have faith in at the moment, he's getting on but he's the one who gets down field to lay in an extra block, he can pull faster than the guards and he's solid enough... However his guards are NOT helping him one bit. Okay as a Centre my guards usually had to keep an eye on what the Noses were doing, if they lined up on my snap hand their first task would be to make sure I had the block then pick up any blitzers Noses on my off hand were usually delt with by me.

The Bears just don't have any kind of fluidity to their blocking at all, Kruetz gets no help it seems.
Old 30.11.2009, 04:46 PM
All Pro

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
Old 01.12.2009, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

According to ESPN we are signing Cato June... desperation at this point of his career I think
Old 01.12.2009, 10:17 PM
All Pro

cato has signed but to what cover urlacher and briggs and others so what to late now lovie
Old 02.12.2009, 11:56 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
cato has signed but to what cover urlacher and briggs and others so what to late now lovie
What??????
Old 02.12.2009, 01:40 PM
Starter

Great read, Thanks Flea.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during an away game in Urlacher's house... Actually maybe not I'd lose my wings...
Old 02.12.2009, 10:49 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj stevie c View Post
Great read, Thanks Flea.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during an away game in Urlacher's house... Actually maybe not I'd lose my wings...

Imo it's nothing to worry about...Urlacher is just saying what he feels..I dont think Orton is better than Cutler...and he was watching the game at the time,so he was pissed at the team the same as we where...
Old 02.12.2009, 10:50 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobes View Post
What??????

Cato has signed..but its to little to late..