Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 378 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 23.01.2011, 11:05 PM
Rookie

this is so frustrating, defence been great this season pretty much... but Offence.. jeez, we need an o-line.
Old 23.01.2011, 11:19 PM
All Pro

urlach and co played ok but Jay and co was awful...1/13 on 3rd down ......no no

still a good year for me....nfc champ game
Old 23.01.2011, 11:29 PM
Starter

Gonna take a while to get over tonight and the way things played out.

Bitter taste in my mouth, atm.
Old 24.01.2011, 01:22 AM
All Pro

Chin up guys, I'm sure you'll be right back in the thick of it next year.
Old 24.01.2011, 01:42 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerfanmurray View Post
Chin up guys, I'm sure you'll be right back in the thick of it next year.
I'm worried our D will struggle to maintain this years level. We need so much help on the O Line too...
Old 24.01.2011, 09:32 AM
All Pro

Just thought I'd pop to your basement and say well done on an awesome season, I really was'nt sold on you guys, however my opinion has changed.
With a few tweaks you have every chance next year, your D is without question the toughest we have faced all year, and in 54 you have a legend.
My brother is an hardcore Bears fan, and at the moment is inconsolable, as I'm sure are many of you guys, but once the hurt fades I feel sure you will be back fighting all the way next year in a very strong North....
Old 24.01.2011, 10:49 AM
All Pro

I am feeling odd in the fact that I really am not that upset. Instead, I am pretty proud of most of the team. In terms of talent, we had no right making the Championship game and we got pretty badly exposed in alot of areas last night that had been problems all season.

Just some random points;

I think the Oline got pretty overrated towards the end of the season thanks to the national media. It is was awful and still is. Watching the GB front three blow up our interior guys was just horrible. Clearly OL is a huge draft need.

Our Dline is one piece away from being elite imo and that piece is a dominant DT. All season guys like Toe, Adams and even Harrison have done okay but they are just solid guys. Get a dominant DT who takes up blockers and let Peppers enjoy some one on ones. Mr Harris seems to spend more time on his **** than in the backfield.

Corner is a need, and pretty big one. I love Tillman but the guy is getting old. Jennings is soso. DJ Moore will only ever be a nickel type guy imo (I always find it funny watching him, he just looks so damn small and thin) I am sure Jerry will pick a CB but as per usual it will be in the 4th round and beyond.

WR is a need. As a staff you have to give your QB the best chance to succeed. Jay has accuracy problems and throws the ball high quite a bit. We need a big WR who will actually fight for the ball. I like Knox but he just never seems to want to fight/defend the ball and is not a number 1 guy. I want the Bears to draft a big guy, who will fight for the ball, be an end zone target and somebody who can beat the jam at LOS. I would LOVE the Bears to draft Leonard Hankerson in the second round. I have been impressed with Bennett this season, he isn't afraid to take a hit and breaks tackles, he should see alot more looks next season.

TODD COLLINS!?!??!. Seriously now. I was so bloody angry when they put him. Did they want to win the game? It was painful to watch the old man, he got abused and should be cut asap. Hanie showed that he deserved his chance. I mean, you have the choice of a young guy who has shown in the previous few pre-seasons that he has some talent, can move and has a decent arm and has been with the team for 3years, or you pick up and old guy with no arm, no legs and no idea. Tough choice.

Mike Martz, you do not run THAT play on 3rd and 3, ever. This is not Remember the Titans. You do not risk losing yardage on that sort of play, especially when it's so telegraphed, my housemate, who has no idea about the NFL knew what was going to happen. Give the damn ball to Forte.

Bring on next season.
Old 24.01.2011, 11:37 AM
Team Captain

A lot of fair points. Having won the NFC North it's hard to take a loss to GB. perhaps a loss to the Falcons would actually make me feel better about the season, which was successful enough.
The worry I have is with Jerry and the draft. He has drafted quite a few O line guys and we have a poor O line. Chicago needs a couple of O linemen. Not completely sold at the safety positions either. I know Harris was carrying an injury but he looked hesitant last night. The one I feel sorry for is 54. 1 INT( game changing tackle from Rodgers) , 1 sack and it is hard to see how he can improve on his season. Hanie deserves a chance as no2. Collins was a mistake. He only got the contract as Hanie was injured pre-season so I fail to understand his remaining as no 2 on Hanie's return from injury. Hanie looked good and if he had came in instead of Collins the Bears just might have made an unlikely comeback.
Old 24.01.2011, 11:40 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbasemeant View Post
I'm worried our D will struggle to maintain this years level. We need so much help on the O Line too...
The worry is due to the inconsitency of the offence the minute the defence has a bad game or slow start we are in trouble. Hard to see what more the D could do in the 2nd half but they were let down by the offence. Hanie as no2. Hester to play special teams solely. A WR (Aromoshadu is not used enough) and a couple of O linemen are all needed.
Old 24.01.2011, 11:43 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatme View Post
I am feeling odd in the fact that I really am not that upset. Instead, I am pretty proud of most of the team. In terms of talent, we had no right making the Championship game and we got pretty badly exposed in alot of areas last night that had been problems all season.

Just some random points;

I think the Oline got pretty overrated towards the end of the season thanks to the national media. It is was awful and still is. Watching the GB front three blow up our interior guys was just horrible. Clearly OL is a huge draft need.

Our Dline is one piece away from being elite imo and that piece is a dominant DT. All season guys like Toe, Adams and even Harrison have done okay but they are just solid guys. Get a dominant DT who takes up blockers and let Peppers enjoy some one on ones. Mr Harris seems to spend more time on his **** than in the backfield.

Corner is a need, and pretty big one. I love Tillman but the guy is getting old. Jennings is soso. DJ Moore will only ever be a nickel type guy imo (I always find it funny watching him, he just looks so damn small and thin) I am sure Jerry will pick a CB but as per usual it will be in the 4th round and beyond.

WR is a need. As a staff you have to give your QB the best chance to succeed. Jay has accuracy problems and throws the ball high quite a bit. We need a big WR who will actually fight for the ball. I like Knox but he just never seems to want to fight/defend the ball and is not a number 1 guy. I want the Bears to draft a big guy, who will fight for the ball, be an end zone target and somebody who can beat the jam at LOS. I would LOVE the Bears to draft Leonard Hankerson in the second round. I have been impressed with Bennett this season, he isn't afraid to take a hit and breaks tackles, he should see alot more looks next season.

TODD COLLINS!?!??!. Seriously now. I was so bloody angry when they put him. Did they want to win the game? It was painful to watch the old man, he got abused and should be cut asap. Hanie showed that he deserved his chance. I mean, you have the choice of a young guy who has shown in the previous few pre-seasons that he has some talent, can move and has a decent arm and has been with the team for 3years, or you pick up and old guy with no arm, no legs and no idea. Tough choice.

Mike Martz, you do not run THAT play on 3rd and 3, ever. This is not Remember the Titans. You do not risk losing yardage on that sort of play, especially when it's so telegraphed, my housemate, who has no idea about the NFL knew what was going to happen. Give the damn ball to Forte.

Bring on next season.
Some good points there, nice read.

Just to add, and this may be a controversial point of view, but in terms of personnel needed the worst thing that could happen to the Bears was a good season.

As you've said, despite some media hype the O-line is as bad as it gets and the Bears badly need some new talent in the draft - picking at 29/30 in the 1st round could conceivably mean the best linemen are gone. Someone like Tyron Smith out of USC would have been perfect, but he'll almost certainly be gone by the time we pick.

A true no. 1 WR is a must as well - as someone said all Cutler is throwing to at the moment is kick and punt returners and a few 3rd/4th receivers. We all saw what happened in Denver when he had Brandon Marshall there with him.

Get rid of Tommie Harris. Despite a few flourishes as the season came to an end the guy is done.