New To College Football - Page 40 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Old 06.07.2015, 07:58 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_T View Post
If you get the Pac-12 Network for 8.99 a month you get 60 minute condensed version of every televised Pac game on Mondays and Tuesdays which might help with this.
Sounds good, just wondering how to get that past the Mrs
Old 17.07.2015, 08:52 AM
Pro Bowler

Thinking of supporting a College team.

Criteria would be:-

Not specifically religious

Not too dodgy (like Penn State)

Not Cheats (like a Patriots type team)

Preferably on TV quite a bit so I can watch them now and then and also so that I can see the drafted players in the NFL

Oh and if any of them were vaguely left leaning and played in claret that would be nice too

Any advice would be much appreciated
Old 17.07.2015, 09:50 AM
MVP

Out of luck on the claret I think closest I can think is Stanford and Louisville in cardinal.
Wisconsin are red, on tv a lot, not cheats, in the same general area as the bears. Its usually a really competitive program with a great fanbase I would probably pick them if I was you.
Old 17.07.2015, 09:56 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBEARSFAN View Post
Not Cheats (like a Patriots type team)
So pretty much no one then?
Old 17.07.2015, 11:00 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_T View Post
Out of luck on the claret I think closest I can think is Stanford and Louisville in cardinal.
Wisconsin are red, on tv a lot, not cheats, in the same general area as the bears. Its usually a really competitive program with a great fanbase I would probably pick them if I was you.
Thank you very much. I may look into Wisconsin (Badgers) then.
Old 17.07.2015, 02:00 PM
MVP

Thought I'd try to write an updated intro to college football as the one on the front page is 5 years old.

College football is split into 4 tiers, in order:
Division 1 FBS
Division 1 FCS
Division 2
Division 3

In all other NCAA sponsored sports Division 1 FBS and Division 1 FCS are the same tier.

Division 1 FBS features 127(+1) teams.

The FBS is further subdivided into 10 conferences (+ 3 Independent schools).

The conferences are further subdivided into AQ and none AQ.

The AQ conferences and their respective members are:
Southeastern Conference (Known commonly as SEC), which is futher subdivided into East and West
East: Florida / Georgia / Kentucky / Missouri / South Carolina/ Tennessee / Vanderbilt
West: Alabama / Arkansas / Auburn/ LSU/ Mississippi State/ Ole Miss / Texas A&M

Up until the last two years the SEC was considered the big dog in the park, with 7 consecutive National Champions coming from the conference, and one National Championship game being an all SEC affair. In recent years that perception has changed, with Auburn losing the 2013 National Championship game, and the 2014 SEC champion Alabama not even making the National Championship game (losing to Ohio State in the first ever College Football Playoff semi-final).

As a UK viewer the safest bet to view your game on TV is to follow one of the big SEC teams (Alabama, LSU, maybe Auburn, Georgia and historically Florida although they've been through a rough patch (thanks Muschamp)) as the SEC game of the week is always broadcast at 8:30pm on Saturday.

Big Ten, which confusingly has 14 teams, and is further divided into East and West:
East: Indiana / Maryland / Michigan / Michigan State / Ohio State / Penn State / Rutgers
West: Illinois / Iowa/ Minnesota / Nebraska / Northwestern / Purdue/ Wisconsin

Historically the best conference (with 39 all time football National Championships, SEC is 2nd with 29). Stereotyped as a more hard nosed running the ball style. Features the current National Champion (Ohio State). And features the two largest stadiums in college football, Penn State's Beaver Stadium (106,572) and Michigan's Michigan Stadium (109,901).

In terms of viewing in the UK following one of the big Big Ten teams (Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State and possibly Nebraska or Penn State) is another safe bet, with a 5pm Big Ten most commonly being selected, and a good chance of them being the US Prime Time ABC game (around 1am in the UK).

PAC 12, which thankfully does feature 12 teams, and is divided into the North and South divisions:
North: California, Berkley / Oregon / Oregon State / Stanford / Washington / Washington State
Southern Division: Arizona / Arizona State / Colorado / UCLA / USC / Utah

Historically the USC conference (a term coined by me just now) due to USC's 9 National Championships compared to the rest of the conference's combined 6. Due to sanctions against the program (and appointing Lane Kiffen as head coach) USC have been going through some down years, which has allowed Oregon to emerge at the head of the pack.

Typically more difficult to follow as a UK fan, due to most teams working on Pacific time, games occasionally kick off at 3am UK time, and the conference has a deal with Fox which doesn't have an agreement with BT Sports in the UK so some of the top games aren't broadcast in the UK.

Big 12, which confusingly features 10 teams, and isn't divided into divisions (due to a NCAA rule that says you must have a minimum of 12 teams), and therefore doesn't host a conference championship game:
Baylor / Iowa State / Kansas / Kansas State / Oklahoma / Oklahoma State/ TCU / Texas / Texas Tech / West Virginia.

Historically the Texas/Oklahoma conference (a combined 10 National Championships, compared to the rest of the conference's 1). TCU (who were added in 2012) and Baylor have emerged in recent years as the conference's top dogs, and that doesn't appear to change this coming season.

Again they have a deal with Fox, so aren't shown as much on UK TV, but the conference's top game (Oklahoma vs Texas, "The Red River [Shootout] Rivalry") is broadcast on ESPN every year.

The Atlantic Coast Conference, more commonly known as the ACC, which is divided into the Atlantic and Coastal Divisions:
Atlantic: Boston College / Clemson / Florida State / Louisville / NC State / Syracuse / Wake Forest
Coastal: Duke / Georgia Tech / Miami / North Carolina / Pittsburgh / Virginia / Virginia Tech

Currently seen as the weakest of the power 5 conferences, FSU is the only real national contender.

Have their main deal with ESPN, but don't seem to be shown as much in my experience (possibly due to the weakness of the conference).

To be continued/edited.
Old 17.07.2015, 03:22 PM
Pro Bowler

Shame the Chicago Maroons are in the Third Division.

Thanks a lot.
Old 17.07.2015, 03:27 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBEARSFAN View Post
Shame the Chicago Maroons are in the Third Division.

Thanks a lot.
No harm in taking more than one college team they will rarely play if they aren't in the same Conference. A lower Division team as well there's no chance of a conflict and If they ever make the DIII Championship game you'll get to see them on BT/ESPN as well
Old 17.07.2015, 03:27 PM
Team Captain

TAMU play in maroon and are on TV a fair amount. Lots of weird traditions though.
Old 17.07.2015, 03:33 PM
MVP

Minnesota are Maroon as well