Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Sponsored Links

Old 30.07.2018, 06:27 PM
Starter

Few. Win the job?
Sponsored Links
Old 30.07.2018, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Relieved that we’ve finally got Darnold signed, the doom and gloom merchants on social media were doing my head in...
Old 11.08.2018, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

First home shutout in preseason in team history, apparently. Woo-hoo!
Old 11.08.2018, 07:05 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
First home shutout in preseason in team history, apparently. Woo-hoo!
Not sure it could have gone much better really. Crowell's concussion aside. The D could be really exciting to watch.
Old 15.08.2018, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Ben Ijalana is out for the season, Kelvin Beachum isn’t currently practicing and Brian Winters is likely to miss the whole preseason. Worried that Darnold will be David Carred for life if he plays this year...
Old 16.08.2018, 05:33 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Ben Ijalana is out for the season, Kelvin Beachum isn’t currently practicing and Brian Winters is likely to miss the whole preseason. Worried that Darnold will be David Carred for life if he plays this year...
I'm not sure he will start if that is the case. Mac was on the Texans staff that drafted Carr and has mentioned about his desire to avoid repeating that situation in the past.

For me, I came down on the side of having 3 criteria to satisfy for Darnold to be given the start. First was playbook and scheme. Every indication is that Darnold has this down. Second was ability to recognise defensive scheme and make adjustments. Darnold has been demonstrating an ability to do this as well. The last wasn't really all about him, but it was about the speed of the game and our ability to protect him. Our line was always a likely weakness but with replacements in I'm seriously concerned that the risk is not worth taking.
Old 19.08.2018, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

So, Teddy Bridgewater’s looked pretty darned sharp so far. Should we:

Keep him and start him?
Keep him and make him the backup?
Trade him?

I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to starting him, especially with the concerns over our OL, but his value may not get higher than it is now. Going to be tough to move him for a high round pick unless someone’s starter goes down though...
Old 19.08.2018, 09:59 PM
All Pro

How much will he bring in a trade? Unless a starter goes down on a team that can potentially challenge we aren't really getting anything of value in exchange. In a dream situation, Teddy starts 5/6 games, plays well, and we trade him for the second we gave up then Darnold finishes up the season and takes his rookie lumps.

That trade scenario is not a realistic outcome though. It's clear at this point that either Darnold or Bridgewater are likely to be credible day 1 starters and one or the other should start over McCown. I'm fairly easy with either in truth. However Teddy won't be here next year no matter how well he plays. Sam is the future - if is deemed ready he plays even if Teddy is the better player at this stage. The OL is the elephant in the room as previously noted though and I think that is the only way Teddy gets to go at this point.

Keeping him around as a backup might prove too much temptation when Sam hits a rocky patch. McCown is the backup guy and the ideal one really - no controversy with him. Teddy could be an unwanted distraction, at least as far as the media is concerned. It's a tough call, but one we should be ecstatic about in terms of the big picture.
Old 26.08.2018, 05:22 PM
All Pro

So after the meaningful preseason game what are the thoughts?

Darnold clearly is the starter at QB. He's proved capable of handling whatever has been thrown at him. No reason not to start him.

The OL is still bad. Hopefully Beachum is fit and solidifies it then with luck it can become adequate and open some lanes for our runners. The defence has given up lots of yards but no TDs. I'm not worried about this so much. We know the team doesn't have genuine pass rushers and will have to blitz to create pressure. We haven't done that in preseason.

The STs are a disaster area! Again!!
Old 26.08.2018, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetupandgo View Post
So after the meaningful preseason game what are the thoughts?

Darnold clearly is the starter at QB. He's proved capable of handling whatever has been thrown at him. No reason not to start him.

The OL is still bad. Hopefully Beachum is fit and solidifies it then with luck it can become adequate and open some lanes for our runners. The defence has given up lots of yards but no TDs. I'm not worried about this so much. We know the team doesn't have genuine pass rushers and will have to blitz to create pressure. We haven't done that in preseason.

The STs are a disaster area! Again!!
Yeah, I really miss Mike Westhoff! Maybe we can hire him as a consultant? Edwards is ok as a Punter, the kicker position is still very much in flux, kick coverage is poor and nobody’s really established themselves in the return game. Trenton Cannon has put far too many balls on the floor, and will probably either be cut or spend the year on the practice squad.

OL is a major issue, although we at least addressed it in the offseason. It remains a complete mystery why we didn’t add a pass rusher. I know we’ve been linked with Fowler and Mack, but a move for either would be extremely unlikely.

I agree that Darnold is almost certain to start, though I’m still not 100% sure it would be the best idea with our mess of an OL. Bridgewater has been very impressive in preseason, but nobody is trading for him this year unless a starter goes down during the season (obviously nobody’s getting hurt in the last week of preseason).

He’d obviously be more consistent than Darnold this season, but doesn’t have anywhere near as high a ceiling. Darnold hasn’t really hit anything downfield yet, but his decision making and accuracy on short to intermediate passes has been very encouraging. I think the starting job was probably his from the midway point of the Atlanta game tbh.