ProTour Cycling Thread - Page 5 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 07.05.2008, 01:50 PM
All Pro

Default Re:ProTour Cycling Thread

Cant really look past one of the Astana guys to mount a serious challenge.I think Kloden has the best bet out of them,as hes in good form atm.I hope that Nibali delivers on his promise finally.Ricco with Piepoli to lead him should challenge aswell
Old 07.05.2008, 01:56 PM
All Pro

The race looks difficult this year.Some nice mountains,a mountain time trial.2 other individual time trials and a team time trial.It really plays into the hands of Kloden and even Leipheimer,as Astana have a really strong squad.I'm amazed CSC didnt bring one of their big guys along for the Overall Classification as tehy usually dominate time trials
Old 07.05.2008, 02:19 PM
All Pro

I was surprised too Titan. With Voigt, McGee and O'Grady the best of the bunch, they can really only hope for stage wins.
Slipstream have sent a pretty decent team, and others have a smattering of big names. Guess a lot of them are preparing for July elsewhere this year?!...
Old 07.05.2008, 02:34 PM
All Pro

Cycled A'lpe Duez last september and the Galibier, great fun, must do for cycling enthusiasts
Old 07.05.2008, 02:40 PM
All Pro

Never quite got there sosban - keep meaning to EVERY summer, but no luck yet! Did you go as part of an organised tour or off your own back? How hard are the climbs? - you hear all the stories about them being absolute monsters, but not sure what to believe!
Old 07.05.2008, 03:26 PM
All Pro

Went as a group of 5, friends and family, flew to Geneva then rented a car to the town of Bourg d'osians. At the foot of A'lpe duez, really pretty village, its cycling mad there. Never seen so many cyclists, was surreal everybody there on a cycling holiday, like a sking holiday for cyclists, good bars there and some very nice restraunts, would advise to stay in that town. A'lpe Duez was quite tough in points just seemed never ending. God knows how Pantani the great managed it in 37 minutes!!! Went on to do the Galibier which was a bit scarry at some points due to steep drops either side but it was a great experience, love to do it again. So pretty round there to. Did a few other cycling routes then which were very enjoyable. Total different culture out there, cars respect the cyclist and you will never feel under pressure from a car behind. When you see famous clips of Armstrong destroying Ulrich on alpe d'Huez its kind of cool having cycled that part to.

Really Enjoyable trip, anybody who likes to cycle should try it, Alp d'Huez is really something special.
Old 07.05.2008, 03:27 PM
Pro Bowler

I definately think the Astana team will be "on a mission", with a point to prove over their snub from Le Tour. It will also be nice to keep an eye on the 6 Brits involved 8)
Old 07.05.2008, 03:59 PM
All Pro

Lets hope we get a TT win from Millar (although theres no Prologue for Wiggins to get his teeth into unfortunately, just the TTT), and then get some stage wins from Cavendish in the sprints. Great to see the Brits coming to the fore on the European scene again after the 80's heyday.
Echo your sentiment about Astana Yorkie - can easily see them dominate from day 1...
Old 07.05.2008, 04:15 PM
All Pro

I like the look of LPR aswell.Di Luca and Savoldelli isnt too bad.I hope one of the Astana guys wins it,they have 3 who can so one of them should do it.But I dont want them to dominate the whole race.They'll no doubt be good in the time trial.Their weakest time trialist is probably Contador.They have 4 who could win the time trials themselves.Gusev isnt a bad sprinter himself,and he's strong enough to get onto the wheel of the Milram or Highroad train
Old 08.05.2008, 08:52 AM
All Pro

May be worth looking out for Jose Rujano in the mountains too this year. I see hes on the Caisse d'epargne squad so he may well repeat his feat of a couple of years ago. Wont win but may have a few good tussles with Piepoli when the road goes uphill.
Especially these days, Stages 14 & 15....

Also wouldnt be surprised to see Backstedt up there for the sprinters jersey. The more I look at the Slipstream team, the more I like their chances of doing well. With Millar, Vandevelde, Zabriskie and Backstedt, they have a good chance of getting some wins.