Packers work out Ahman Green and Dominic Rhodes - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Sponsored Links

Old 19.10.2009, 10:24 PM
All Pro

Default Packers work out Ahman Green and Dominic Rhodes

Quote:
Former Packers running back Ahman Green was back at Lambeau Field today working out for the team, according to an NFL source.

They also had running back Dominic Rhodes in for a workout, the source said.

The 32-year old Green, who is second on the Packers' career rushing list with 8,162 yards and a four-time Pro Bowl selection, has been out of football since Feb. 10, when the Houston Texans released him. Green left the Packers in free agency following the 2006 season and signed a four-year, $27 million deal with the Texans in 2007. He played in only 14 games over two years with the Texans due to injuries. He has been living at least part time in Green Bay for the past six months.

Rhodes, 30, has been out of football since he was released by the Buffalo Bills on April 17. He last played during the 2008 season with the Indianapolis Colts. He split time with Joseph Addai and rushed for 538 yards in 15 games (including four starts).
Source: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...er/index.shtml

This has to be more than just a 'look'. The Packers brought no-name running backs in last week for a 'look', this might mean Wynn's injury is more serious than was first thought, or that the Packers are finally tired of Ryan Grant running into the back of offensive linemen.
Sponsored Links
Old 20.10.2009, 09:36 AM
All Pro

Personally I don’t think there’s anyway that these guys are better than Grant, Jackson and Wynn.

They are both viable 3rd down backs, good blockers and receivers. And they both have experience of zone running. But athletically I don’t think either has a huge amount to offer at this point.

I buy the theory on Wynn being hurt a lot more than the Grant one.
Old 20.10.2009, 09:40 AM
MVP

It was only pre season but Dominic Rhodes was pure as dog muck for Buffalo. You must have other players on your roster that can out play him he struggled in the run game, blocking and catching passes.
Old 20.10.2009, 10:15 AM
All Pro

While both were decent players at there peak this news is certainly nothing to get excited about.

DeShawn Wynn has been injured for the majority of his time at Green Bay. Don't want to sound harsh but unfortunately neither him nor Jackson have contributed anything since the 07 draft and I feel it's time for certainly one if not both of them to be let go. The RB position is one of the easiest to translate from college and neither has, IMO shown enough to think they will ever improve.

Just goes to show how bad the 07 draft was for us if you think about how little Harrell has also done. Barbre, although raw may come on down the line but has been poor this year too. The only two that have worked for us so far from that years draft have been Jones, despite niggling injuries and Desmond Bishop has shown some sparks also
Old 20.10.2009, 02:05 PM
All Pro

I will make it clear now, I was only joking when I said the other day that Green should get another shot...
Old 20.10.2009, 02:07 PM
All Pro

Also with Rhodes you have to look at what Indy did with Edgerrin James a couple of years back, and with Harrison last year. Polian does a great job of getting rid of guys before they become washed up (although I would debate Harrison should have been released earlier than he was)
Old 20.10.2009, 03:32 PM
All Pro

Hypothetically, if Wynn is injured and the Packers can't swing a trade (which would be my preferred option) who would you rather have Green, Rhodes, Lumpkin (off the practice squad), or a free agent like Ryan Torain who the Packers brought in last week.

In all seriousness, out of that lot I'd probably choose Rhodes.
Old 20.10.2009, 06:01 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengermassey View Post
Hypothetically, if Wynn is injured and the Packers can't swing a trade (which would be my preferred option) who would you rather have Green, Rhodes, Lumpkin (off the practice squad), or a free agent like Ryan Torain who the Packers brought in last week.

In all seriousness, out of that lot I'd probably choose Rhodes.
Rhodes or Lumpkin, but neither offer a particularly appealing option.
Old 21.10.2009, 12:08 PM
MVP

Mike Wahle, Mark Rivera and Willie Henderson will be in for tryouts next week?

Should have resigned Brett and Sharper in the offseason relive 2003/4 all over again
Old 21.10.2009, 03:41 PM
All Pro

Green has been signed to a one-year deal.

https://twitter.com/Greg_A_Bedard/status/5045639997